[Sep 15, 2012] Calmar Tournament Matches - The CTM (Calmar, IA)

fafnier

[08] Mercenary
Welcome to "Where the hell is Calmar?!"
We are located in the Northeast corner of Iowa. We may be distant, but we are 2 hours away from three great gaming hubs, Madison, Minneapolis, and Cedar Rapids. We hope to use this tournament to unite these hubs. Originally, I was planning to hold a Soul Calibur 5 tourney; however, considering that TTT2 is coming out September 14th, this might be a good time to try that tourney as well. Now, I present the details...

When: September 15, 2012; doors open at 9 am to allow for set up and casuals. Between 11 am and 12 pm, the tourney will start. The building will close at 4 pm, so I plan to have the tourney done and the place cleaned out by then.

Where: Northeast Iowa Community College, Student Center, Main Lobby. Once you walk into the building, you're there. We have one regular flat screen set up, and one projector set up for a pretty big screen.

What: Soul Calibur 5, and Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Cost: The Venue fee is $5. (Yes, the venue is not free.) The cost of the actual tournament will be $5 for SC 5 and $10 for TTT2. The pot will be distributed as 60%, 25%, 10% and 5%.

I'll update this with more rules as the weeks progress. This isn't planned to be a big tournament, but if you're in the area, come to Calmar for some good games and some good fun. Afterwards, you're invited to come with me to our local restaurant. One thing...while I have some set ups, if you can provide some more set ups it would be appreciated. Also, if you have copies of SC 5 for PS3 that would be appreciated.

BTW, this is a bring your own controller event.

Alright, I guess rules are in order. I'll be using the standard rules for the site with certain modifications.

Official 8WAYRUN.com Ruleset

• Console: Sony PLAYSTATION3
  • Brackets: Double Elimination
  • Seeding: Location Based
I will seed people the best I can based on location and reputation, so we can avoid having the same people meet early on.​
  • Set Construction:
Since time is an issue with this tournament, for now I decided to have 2 matches out of 3 until winner's finals, loser's finals and grand finals in which the set up will be 3 matches out of 5 matches.​
  • Match Construction:
- 3 out of 5 rounds in all sets​
- 60 second time limit in all sets​
- 100% health and soul gauge​
  • Character Select: Create-a-Soul characters banned
To put it simply, modified outfits for standard characters are allowed, but unique create a soul characters are banned. We don't need people switching body types for movesets.​
  • Character and Stage:
Random Stages.​
  • Interruptions: Loss of Current Round
A player who interrupts a round, will automatically lose the current round. If the opponent choses to ignore the interruption, they are invalidating the penalty and thus can not press the issue at a later time in an attempt to get an unfair edge on the opponent.​
  • Button Binds: Sequence Mapping Banned
A player may not program functions on a controller using methods outside the basic functions of the game. This includes: programmable and turbo controllers.​

Disqualification Regulations(top)(hide)

If you are at an event, and you have to leave the vicinity of the tournament for any reason, you should inform the tournament organizer and ask their permission first; even if you are simply heading to another room to compete in a different event. If you are "missing" and the tournament organizer can't find you, you are at risk at getting "DQed"; which means an automatic loss of the entire set.​

Ideally, a tournament organizer should always try to run other available matches before they start DQing players for being "missing". However, if no other matches are available, a good organizer will start DQing players to keep the event moving forward. In order to help facilitate DQing and legitimizing what some people may consider "unfair", we are putting in specific rules for DQing.​

The moment a tournament organizer has determined that its time to DQ a player, they should vocally and publicly announce the start of a 6 minute timer (on a stopwatch, computer, cell-phone or whatever). At 3 minutes into the countdown, the player immediately loses the first match of the set. If when 6 minutes comes to, if the player has still not arrived, they lose the remainder of the set.​

Why have we implemented this system? Because of the many issues we've had with DQing in the past. Some complain that DQs are too quick, while others complain that they are too slow. Now there is not only a set rule, but there is a partial penalty. We've had times in the past, where a player shows up with 10 seconds left, and receive no penalty, even though they've pushed the event back 20 minutes.​

Infinites(top)(hide)

All infinites, unless specifically identified are LEGAL until further notice. Most infinites are extremely situational. Ring outs are not "broken"; so if you put yourself in a situation where you could potentially get rung out, that's your fault and you've already done something wrong.​

Most infinites are the same; if you put yourself in a situation where you could potentially get infinited, that's your fault and you've already done something wrong. The only real difference is the "ring out" from an infinite is not guaranteed, and the player can mess it up, giving you another chance.​

• Viola Back-Throw Infinite - banned; only one back-throw will be permitted in sequence. In addition to this, because of how hard it would be to enforce, back-throw into back-throw resets are also banned.
Should a player do a banned infinite, they will surrender the round to the opponent and continue the match. Should the infinite end the round, they will surrender the match to the opponent and continue the set. The reason for this is that it is extremely difficult to "return" to the previous situation with a penalty, so rather than delay the tournament, the offending player will simply receive a harsher penalty.​

Miscellaneous Bans(top)(hide)

• Create-a-Soul - banned since CAS characters are unique to each console.
  • Custom Outfits - allowed, unless the outfit completely hinders gameplay.
  • Devil-Jin - banned by coincidence since Create-a-Soul characters are banned.
  • DLC - allowed, if someone brings the appropriate save file.
  • Combot - banned

Tag 2? Hmm... I just might have to show up for this. TTT is supposed to be released on 9/11, actually, which is good 'cause that'll give everyone at least a couple of days to mess with it.

Yeah, the early start is kind of a bitch, but I'll see what I can do to make it out.

I would think of coming out but that 5$ entryfee is pretty tiny. Are we 8 years old? I would love to come dominate scv and TTT2 but not looking worth while.

2 hour drive and starts at 9 am?
It is an early time, but that is only when the doors open. I need time to set up equipment. I don't plan on starting the tourney until at the earliest 11 and at the latest 12. I'm not starting the tourney at 9. However, anyone who is here from 9 to the start time could do some casuals before the tourney if the equipment is set up.

I would think of coming out but that 5$ entryfee is pretty tiny. Are we 8 years old? I would love to come dominate scv and TTT2 but not looking worth while.
I was worried about the extra venue fee.
How about this idea...SC V will still be $5, but I could make TTT2 a $10 entry fee. If there are objections to this, let me know.

I'd like to come out and support Faf. it's been a while brotha. but I have like no rides coming out from Racine. but I'll ask around and see if I can get some of my casual players interested. Also Seasons Beatings is scary close to this tournament's date. hopefully i can make it.

I'm still up in the air on whether my work schedule will allow me to make this. Important question, though: Are DLC characters going to be allowed for Tag? A lot of people are crying about how they should be banned until universally available. For me, the sad fact is, all of the character I intend on maining are DLC. :/

I preordered my copy so I might have the DLC characters. Since this is straight out of the gate, and nobody may have a real feel of all characters at this time, I'm going to allow DLC characters if I have them by the tournament.

Bring on the hate.

got TTT2, thought I'd have the DLC, but I don't. I'm still not against someone else bringing a save file with DLC. Yet, so far, I don't have it.

BTW, unless someone gives me a good reason not to, I am banning Combot.

Ok, my DLC was emailed to me. That's new to me. However, I only got Angel and Michelle. If someone has more DLC, they are welcome to bring it.

Back