Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It might not even happen. I don't think people have been able to import new models into any UE3 game on PC (not counting games with official modding tools). The engine seems really difficult to mod, and I assume UE4 is no different.

That may be the FIRST thing to happen. You among anyone else who's done or delve into any of this before (myself included) should clearly know when it comes to mods, that's the first thing they do.... lol

Not speaking particularly of UE engine but in general.

But as far as UE4 is concerned, just get the official UDK for $19 bucks a month... +5% license fees (royalties)

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/welcome-to-unreal-engine-4

Last edited:
That may be the FIRST thing to happen. You among anyone else who's done or delve into any of this before (myself included) should clearly know when it comes to mods, that's the first thing they do.... lol

Not speaking particularly of UE engine but in general.

But as far as UE4 is concerned, just get the official UDK for $19 bucks a month... +5% license fees (royalties)

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/welcome-to-unreal-engine-4
I have no doubt people will try to do that immediately, but they might fail.

I don't think UDK will help much. I haven't looked closely into this, but as far as I know, it's the "baking" process where the tools serialize files into packages which is making things challenging. People have had some success extracting some files from those packages, but little luck repacking them.

It would be awesome if Namco randomly decided to release SC6 on PC with official modding tools. But, this is Japan. I don't think Japan has released any officially moddable game ever. CAS + modding would have pretty neat results though.

Soul Calibur is a nightmare compare to Tekken as far as programming logistics go.
That's why it so much more beautiful.

Consider - all the work that goes into:
- Character models
- Character models + Equipment items (CAS).
- Equipment items on each body part and sub part
- Weapons
- Visual destruction and damage
- All of the above with physics, animation, and collision models interacting with each other for a fighting game

Makes Tekken feel like paper mache.

This
I think it's best if Tekken 7 is worked on first. That way, SC6 won't have to be rushed or incomplete.
does not necessarily follow from this
They are both developed by same publisher - Namco Bandai but different "teams" often times with lots of internal members shifting between each team for different projects [Tekken x SC]. The game shares a similar framework and engine developed mostly "in house". Most likely if TK7 is going UE4 route then similarly all future SC titles will also follow suit.
was my point. Seeing how Bandai Namco Studios has been able to dedicate enough developers independent of Tekken 7 to create and work on Lost Swords, one can't just say "If SC6 is developed at the same time as Tekken 7 it will be rushed or incomplete" with no justification. I'm totally open to the idea that that could be the case, but an explanation would be necessary.

Yes, I am totally against a PC console build of this game. If that were to happen, then I'm sure there will be naked* characters and other ridiculous hacks... =)

But on a serious note, if Tekken 7 is going to use UE4 as it's platform engine then most likely it's flagship release will be aimed for current generation consoles meaning PS4, Xbox One. No Wii U support as there is no UE4 support for that console. It also means no last gen support so no PS3 or Xbox 360 support. But fret not, UE4 can also be deployed for iOS for iPad and iPhone! ... lol.

Oh, of course, PC and Mac supported too.
LOL! I did this with Ivy online. And made Invisible characters just to Troll Kids. Since they seem to be the only ones who play online anymore.

Do you guys think we'll ever get the rest of the DLC we were supposed to get for SCV? It's probably wishful thinking on my part, but I think it could still happen. I don't understand why it hasn't been done already...

LOL! I did this with Ivy online. And made Invisible characters just to Troll Kids. Since they seem to be the only ones who play online anymore.

I highly doubt you could have done this... that is with Ivy. Much less do it online

Last edited:
Consider - all the work that goes into:
- Character models
- Character models + Equipment items (CAS).
- Equipment items on each body part and sub part
- Weapons
- Visual destruction and damage
- All of the above with physics, animation, and collision models interacting with each other for a fighting game
Guess that's why we're still rocking animations from SC1, huh.

Do you guys think we'll ever get the rest of the DLC we were supposed to get for SCV?
Probably not. It's all going to Lost Swords now.

Do you guys think we'll ever get the rest of the DLC we were supposed to get for SCV? It's probably wishful thinking on my part, but I think it could still happen. I don't understand why it hasn't been done already...
No.

Pretty much this. The second Lost Swords was a thing, the final nail was in the coffin for SCV in regards to any possible additional content.
I don't know if anyone caught this on, but Lost Swords is to SCV like what Broken Destiny is to SCIV. I'm pretty sure a lot of Lost Swords content was meant for SCV but the higher ups at Namco said no to it (like with SCIV and SC:BD). That's probably why the dlc in 2012 was suddenly canceled and why Lost Swords was basically SCV with differences. Why else did they talk about the story being 1/4 complete rather than add it on? Because that's not what's important to namco.

Do you want a video?

sure.... but we can take that discussion offline...

Anyways, what's done is done. SC6 is the future (whenever they decide to work on that if they aren't already).
I'm looking forward to it - as far as consoles goes, they'll have much more to work with given the expanded memory and better hardware on the new current gen systems. No need to cut (as many corners) like in previous generations. If it does go PC thanks to UE4 then even better. Anyways, it's time for a platform change.

In a few years, the 360/PS3 era will be ready for retirement and will join the ranks of retro-gaming.

Last edited:
...while also experimenting with the free to play model.
This is part of it, but I think the bigger side of this is them experimenting with new crazy mechanics and figuring out what works and what doesn't. For instance, we have the vampire character in Tekken Revolution with KoF-style projectiles (preparing for Tekken x Street Fighter perhaps?) or SC:LS's take on hitstun and the special vs mechanics.

People would freak out if these mechanics were added to the main series -look at the casual backlash to SCV's meter mechanics- so it makes sense for them to experiment with these smaller games.

I know there's been a lot of speculations and questions regarding SC6, and although nothing is confirmed, we can safely assume it's AT LEAST on the "to consider" list for Namco. Now, as far as how likely it is for them to release a new major title, we can draw some conclusions from a few things. Keep in mind these are all just assumptions!

1. Historically, after the release of a Tekken game there has always been a Soulcalibur release. Starting with the original Tekken (1994) and the original Soul Edge released a year after (1995). If you look at their patterns, it's pretty much Tekken first, wait a little, then Soulcalibur, and of course throw in some side games like Tekken Tag and Broken Destiny. So, take a guess what comes after Tekken 7

2. With Namco actually paying attention to us lately, it could potentially mean they're measuring out the gauge of interest in the community. This can be seen with their recent activity, despite the fact that it's not exactly what we've asked for or even what we want to see. They paid attention to us with Lost Swords, they paid attention with SC2HD Online, Unbreakable Soul, and they personally paid attention to us at EVO. Just by the fact that they haven't forgotten about is a good sign.

3. This one is a little personal research of mine, but I decided to share anyway, even if it doesn't count as proof. A co-worker of mine visits Japan every now and then. She has a friend working for Namco, though not directly with Project Soul. She actually works in the marketing department and what she told us was that Namco usually likes to see the gauge of interest first, and then they start gathering some funds from side projects like Lost Swords and Tekken Revolution. Keep in mind that these side projects are also a business strategy to draw people into the main series. Since the marketing department (toys, customs, posters, conventions, etc) is a lot bigger in Japan than anywhere else, a lot of their revenue comes from things like these. The final step is the "How much will this project cost to make?" "How much do we have?" and "How much will it bring us back?" debates.

So, in essence, it's at least ok to conclude that we might still be seeing SC related stuff in the works or being released. How soon til SC6? That of course we can't tell, but it shouldn't be that far ahead. If Namco has something for us, September's Tokyo Game Show will be the place to show it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back