Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSFIV:
EVERY fighting game receives patches and tweaks post launch, and after the expansion only 4 characters (i think) were added.
MK:Arma:
was a good game (not great i admit). how can you complain when they had Konquest mode, arcade mode, character creation where you can map each attack, a big roster,online play, and freaking go-kart racing.
SC3:
SC3 didnt have online because it wasnt as big of a fad back then (online is pretty much standard nowadays for fighting games). besides did you expect those characters to return in SC4? Amy received her own style and Revenant became a mimic of Cerv... so actually no one returned. adding online and improving graphics and gameplay were the goal (like you said). they got rid of the bonus characters because they didnt want to waste time and energy and alot of those characters simply didnt make sense in the SC4 story.

I DO agree with the saying, quality over quantity because although MK: Arma was good for its vast content, it did have its flaws in each of its modes.

My thinking is that 35-45 characters is a sweet spot for Project Soul (given they take their time).

They have a good formula for online, now realize the importance of DLC characters (not just CaS shit), and the story (currently) can go in any direction which means introducing new characters and bringing back old characters.
A small roster doesnt mean significantly better quality (skullgirls received extensive patches and theres only 8 characters).

theres always gonna be tweaks. Equating SSFIV, MK: Arma and SC3's big rosters as the reason for their problems isnt accurate.

Decided to write a short summation of what I've seen before E3 actually starts. Hopefully I'll have plenty more to write about soon enough.

"These are the facts that we know:
  • On March 18th Katsuhiro Harada, Game Director of fighting games for NamcoBandai, stated that his next game would be Soulcalibur: Army of Darkness.
  • On June 6th a NamcoBandai representative sent out an email to various video game media outlets telling them that NamcoBandai would be showing off a new fighting game at E3.
  • Katsuhiro Harada will be attending E3 in person.
  • Daishi Odashima, who was the head of Project Soul during the development and release of Soulcalibur 5, has been completely silent, though he still holds his title on his twitter account.
I had already been down on Soulcalibur 5's sales performance when compared to Soulcalibur 4, which I still say is mostly down to the roster and mechanics more than a supposed glut of fighting games on the market (Which is still a valid complaint, but Soulcalibur is still a 3D weapon-based fighting game in age of primarily 2D and hand-to-hand based fighting games. In a broad sense it is still just another fighting game, but to a potential customer looking at half a dozen 2D anime fighters, a few 2.5D games, 30 different Tekkens, and a new Dead or Alive game, Soulcalibur still stands out.). Fact is, Soulcalibur 5 wasn't as successful as Soulcalubur 4. Namco is known as a developer with absurd expectations for their games, so even though Soulcalibur 5 is still a success by any real measure, will it be a success to Namco?

The way they let Harada go about fighting games seems to be relatively hands-free, and there's the simple fact that the Soulcalibur games always turn a profit, especially outside of Japan, which is necessary for Namco because they keep releasing other games outside of Japan, usually with no marketing and often in direct competition with a more popular franchise, and are always surprised when they barely break even. Ask any Tales fan how Namco handles that franchise and be sure to cover your ears before the screaming starts.

There should never have been any doubt that Soulcalibur 6 would get made. The only questions are who, when, and why. Will Daishi get another shot? Will they try to squeeze something in before the new consoles are released? And if Daishi or someone else is put in charge, will they be allowed to try and break the mold as Soulcalibur 5 did and risk alienating fans again, or will they be told to go back to what worked in the past?

As for Soulcalibur 6 being a launch title for one or both of the new consoles when Soulcalibur 5 is only a year and half old, that's a subject just begging for absurd speculations. There were rumours of next-generation development kits being sent out as far back as late 2011, which would be before Soulcalibur 5 was even released. If a new game was in development soon after that I see two distinct paths it could take.

First, and less likely, would be a brand new game in a brand new engine designed to use the new console's hardware. This is always an advantage for both the developer and the console manufacturer as they are eager to have games that demonstrate the console's new features and makethe new hardware more enticing. This is supposed to be a system seller.

Second would be a simple expansion and up-port of Soulcalibur 5 in some capacity. This would be a remarkable turnaround for a brand new game, as typically there are 2-4 years between Soulcalibur releases, even when the games come out on the same system, but it's plenty of time to have been working on new stages, character models, and other simple features for a game that already exists. Simply tying the game heavily into new social media features somehow might be enough to count as token support for the new consoles, as graphically the game would have to run at 60fps on all systems, and there's only so much extra polish a developer can put on the graphics.
The elephant in the room--the Army of Darkness subtitle--also points toward some sort of Soulcalibur 5 expansion rather than a new game. No core series console release of a Soulcalibur game has ever included a subtitle. The only Soulcalibur games that have subtitles are the Broken Destiny port of Soulcalibur 4 to the PSP, Soulcalibur Legends (the Wii-exclusive action game that was also a dud, sales-wise), and I guess Soulcalibur 3: Arcade Edition. While it's possible that Army of Darkness is another handheld port, this time to the Vita, Broken Destiny didn't seem to go over very well and that was after the PSP had reached as much market saturation as it ever would. The number of people who own Vitas is substantially lower. (There's also the 3Ds, of course, but I prefer not to think about that, and Dead or Alive Dimensions was hopefully enough to kill that possibility dead.) However, Soulcalibur has never had a proper fighting game-style aftermarket expansion before, and those always get a new subtitle. That Harada is the one mentioning it, and working on it, also points in that direction as he is still the head of fighting games, and he seemed to at least be smart enough to keep well enough away from the likes of Death by Degrees, while he is almost notorious for releasing as many different expansions and iterations of the same Tekken games as he can manage.

The name Army of Darkness may also be a clue. While on the face of it the concept of an army contradicts the very nature of a 1 on 1 fighting game, Soulcalibur 5 was not short on armies at all, having the main antagonist, Nightmare, take on the role of the military dictator of Hungary, with the intent of savaging Europe with his army of Soul Edge-corrupted minions, and plunge the continent into an age of darkness and strife. As Daishi himself stated, "only one fourth of what we planned to do is in the game." In fact, they even recorded additional dialogue and had a much more of the game storyboarded, but never got to use it. There was never much debate about Soulcalibur 5 being rushed after its announcement, and it's a credit to Project Soul that when it came time to cut content and shift development priorities they decided to make the best fighting game they could while sacrificing singleplayer content and the possibility of additional characters. Add another year and a half to that development cycle, which is where they would be now, and that's a much more normal 3+ years for a proper Soulcalibur game.

Of course there are problems with releasing the same game twice, not the least of which is that every other fighting game franchise does it, and they always get complaints. It's one of the biggest factors for the perceived oversaturation of the market, that there isn't new content being released, but that fans are being sold the same games over and over again. However, this would be offset by the biggest complaints that Soulcalibur 5 received: it didn't have enough content or the characters that fans expected. This could be the rare exception in which fans would welcome being sold the same game but with more stuff. It's also been more more than a year since the game was released, so it wouldn't feel like fans are buying the same game within the same year, as happened with Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (and Dead or Alive 5+ being released almost exactly 1 year after Dead or Alive 5).

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if NamcoBandai's "unannounced" E3 fighting game reveal turned out to be another Tekken project, maybe Tekken x One Piece or Tekken x Naruto, but I put even odds on it being a Soulcalibur game. Even if the E3 game isn't a new Soulcalibur, there should be no doubt that a new Soulcalibur is coming.

Fortunately, E3 is only a few days away, so we don't have to wait long."

Um. I dont see anything new. They're giving facts about the sales but not about the reviews. The reviews I think is the most important because those people may buy the game (market might shoot up), just to figure out that they dont like it (market MIGHT shoot down).
I guess what Im to say is, yes there might be another SCV, but not anytime soon. Back in 2009, SCV was just an idea so they started to gather the basics. They didnt annouce SCV until summer of 2011. We might not see SCVI until another 2-3 years from now sooooooo...

When Soulcalibur 4 was released the head of Project Soul announced that it would be the last Soulcalibur game and then he left and Project Soul was disbanded.

When Soulcalibur 5 was released there was a new head of Project Soul who stated explicitly that they would keep making more Soulcalibur games.

There's a pretty big difference between those situations.

It's more than that. Just various notes that I'd like to bring out:

-PS's problem of time constraints. SCV suffered from this. You really think SCV having a larger roster would have helped? Not so sure. Which transitions to the next point which may affect future installments..

-PS working from scratch with the characters, stages, and gameplay (which means modes too). The Veterans from SCV, or at least that will return, will be different from their appearances in SCV for various reasons: physical development like getting older, additional moves and tweaks, outfits, voice overs, and now with story mode included, PS's goal of introducing these characters (like MK9) into it, with cutscenes and all. That is a huge hassle, and when I play one game in particular that has a huge roster but the gameplay, and story mode, is hardly improved (Dienasty Warriors), it's proof enough that a huge roster can be a hassle.

Now Skullgirlz, mind you, started out as an "indie" game by an indie developing team. Only now it's backed by Konami but not when they first began developing the game. You would think that finances and production would be set up differently compared to the big name video game companies like Namco and Capcom. Might I mention that they are still working on Skullgirlz, and the roster is still increasing.

When Soulcalibur 4 was released the head of Project Soul announced that it would be the last Soulcalibur game and then he left and Project Soul was disbanded.

When Soulcalibur 5 was released there was a new head of Project Soul who stated explicitly that they would keep making more Soulcalibur games.

There's a pretty big difference between those situations.

And I agree on this. But what Im trying to say is I dont think SCVI will be announced this year nor next year.

Soulcalibur 6 probably won't be released any time soon, because that would most likely mean a new engine to take advantage of the next gen consoles.

Soulcalibur 5: Army of Darkness could already be completed and ready to ship.

There's certainly a high chance that it's just Tekken Revolution, but it's a bit anticlimactic to tease a game that's already out. This is Namco, though.

What's wrong with Dead or Alive Dimensions? I'm personally hoping for some iteration of SC on the 3DS, be it SC6 or SuperSC5. Not that I don't want it elsewhere, of course.

natsu-soul-calibur-v-picture.jpg

Well that's quite wonderful news. I already had a feeling that Tekken Tag Tournament 2 was going to do well. Tekken is one of the most popular 3D fighters today. It's also pleasant to see SCV managed to pull through despite it's lacking qualities. I think this could be good to create either a reboot of SCV or a SCVI but I agree with other posts. I won't speak much about the story since it's well... Wrecked at this point so it'd be pointless to say anything about it.

Just work on the game mechanics, modes, and CAS and I would be happy along with others. Also bring back the characters who were not supposed to be removed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back