Soul Calibur V Sales Discussion

I'm not trying to justify this, but compared to other companies, Namco is being a lot more generous than you realize. If this was any other company, Ivy, Hilde, and Tira also would've been cut. They also would've cut a lot of the male characters out of SCV too, because Japan seems to love having their series focus on characters in their tweens, teens, and early twenties (30 years is actually 50 to most Japanese companies). If this game wasn't run by PS/Namco, about 85% of the whole cast would've been replaced by new, younger characters that all use the game moveset as the veterans.
^THIS!

And we can't really criticize the "older" women rule when you have characters like Rock, Hwang (still), and Li Long (still) also cut, because a majority of gamers felt they were boring (Rock, Li Long), or underdeveloped (Hwang). They are 59, 49, and 48, respectively. Even the first Yoshimitsu was replaced.

Give it time. I bet you once Mitsurugi turns 50+, he's going to get cut too. Possibly being replaced by "Brosurugi", but this is only an assumption.

Same with Seigfried as he has gotten so...irrelevant lately, but what keeps him in are for many reasons.

Voldo's days are running up too, but seeing his figure, I wouldn't be surprised if he reached 100+

^THIS!

And we can't really criticize the "older" women rule when you have characters like Rock, Hwang (still), and Li Long (still) also cut, because a majority of gamers felt they were boring (Rock, Li Long), or underdeveloped (Hwang). They are 59, 49, and 48, respectively. Even the first Yoshimitsu was replaced.

Give it time. I bet you once Mitsurugi turns 50+, he's going to get cut too. Possibly being replaced by "Brosurugi", but this is only an assumption.

Same with Seigfried as he has gotten so...irrelevant lately, but what keeps him in are for many reasons.

Voldo's days are running up too, but seeing his figure, I wouldn't be surprised if he reached 100+

Which is exactly why the original cast either vie for a reboot or find the fountain of youth. Either one would work itself out somehow. And besides, the reason why they wanted younger characters was to appeal to a younger audience if you know what I mean. I would've been hunky-dory with almost the entire cast in their 30s and 40s and still don't give a damn. It's Namco's idea of the 17 year skip that still wrecks my nerves to the core.

Which is exactly why the original cast either vie for a reboot or find the fountain of youth. Either one would work itself out somehow. I would've been hunky-dory with almost the entire cast in their 30s and 40s and still don't give a damn.
I doubt it.

I'll repeat what I said before about it.

I feel the 17 year shift introduces a great amount of new characters that PS can further develop in the future. It also gives Namco the chance to create a fresh story, and not "out of place" like SCIV's was. With how horrid and random that storyline was, you can't really fix it for the past era. In SCV's case, they can start a clean slate with characters who have little to no background, and then just work further on during the series.

Nothing is wrong with the 17 year shift in Soul Calibur. It's how they handled it, story-wise, and how they left most of the information on the previous characters in a Japanese-language art book, or at the last minute (Setsuka, for example).

Replacements are also fine, but how do they differentiate from their predecessors? This was the case for Xi-Ba, and the Alexandxx siblings. This was not the case for Leixia, and, personality aside, wasn't the case for Alpha Patroklos. Natsu is more of a better skilled Taki.

Like I said before, the 17 year shift was fine. It's how this was executed.

I bet if it was during the past era, the story still would have been out of place like SCIV's. Algol and his backstory popping out of nowhere was proof enough that they ran out of ideas for the past era, and probably would have ran out of ideas if "almost all of the characters appeared in their 30s and 40s". The new characters are kind of like a blank canvas.

Talim is the shit, there are four other styles almost completely missing, the timing of the mimics was shitty as fuck, the timing of release was shitty as fuck.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. The story is SOOOOO much better than SCIV's or SC2's, never really played 3 too much. The online is fucking sexy. Natsu> Taki. It's a beautiful looking and sounding game, the new mechanics feel as though they belong.

The good out weighs the bad in this scenario, I feel like all of the pissers and moaners will try this game eventually, fall in love, and sales will rise.

ScV>scIV even without my main since 2. with her this game would make me burst with awesome happiness sunshine rainbows.

SCV is far from a bad game (and imo Ezio is the best guest they've ever had). You're telling me that it's bad just because Sophitia and Cassandra didn't make it. No offense, but that's just bullshit reasoning. The gameplay is way better now than it has been before. The game isn't unbalanced like SCIV and almost anything in the game can be countered. You've put too much emotional investment in the Alexandra sisters imo. There's nothing wrong with admiring a character, even if it's in a fighting game, but if you don't like the game just because they're not in it, then you're simply not a fan. There's way more to SC than just those two. In a way, you're not a fan of Sophitia or Cassandra either, if you're so willing to pass on their legacy as "crybaby and psychopath". There's a reason why they act this way (Phyrra's misfortune & solitude, Pat's desire for vengeance & justice). The fact Sophitia left a mark in the series by having Pat and Phyrra as protagonist should be more than a good reason to buy the game. They actually play fairly well and are worthy successors to Sophie and Cass, but you're too blinded by nostalgia to give them a chance.

when i say i didnt bought the game ?
i have the game since day 1(and i have bought all the dlc,because i really hope for some characters dlc ...)
look page 7 and i rated it too
and did give her more than one chance
i finished legendary mode with OP
earned all the titles in the quick match mode with Op and Pyrrha
done all the arcade mode with Op and Pyrrha
i think is enough no?but i still dont like her personnality ><
i was defending the fact that they cant force people to like the new charcters/replacement instead of the old one and 17 years time skip will certainly affect the sales

i have read alot about japanese culture,gaming instutry etc on some french forum
so yeah i know how it work

The timeskip would've worked if there was a transition from the SCIV events into what goes on in SCV. All we're given is a brief summary of what happened in a character's backstory and what their connection was to a character, but that was it. There was no sense of closure for anyone who didn't make the roster and we're not given a reason why we should care about someone like Natsu, other than be being Taki's student. This is all that happened as far the the prologue goes:

Nightmare appears and creates Astral Chaos
Siegfried fights Nightmare
Siegfried kills Nightmare and destroys Soul Edge.
17-years-later....
That's literally all we're given in the game. We're not told about what happened after that fight. It does seem like they did the timeskip because it benefited Tekken, but what worked for one doesn't always work for another.
i prefer this 100 x than 17 years time skip

Can we just declare the "mourning" period over on this game already and start nuking these threads, execution style?

It's getting a little old that in every post, people make themselves sound like they are some kind of marketing genius that knows exactly how to fix every problem. Even *I* am not that arrogant- I knew better due to insider info and industry experience, as in, real world experience.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again- the wants and needs of your average casual player are a moving target, and the "outrage" is blown out of proportion because this is the internet. Some people still are crying about GUARD IMPACT mechanics....

I beg of you, please stop. Please?

So how well is SCV selling again?

Because last I knew, it wasn't good. I know why I didn't buy the game for a while, and I know why many of my friends and casual fans didn't buy the game. And it's because of all the aforementioned complaints. Better luck next time, Namco.

Can we just declare the "mourning" period over on this game already and start nuking these threads, execution style?

It's getting a little old that in every post, people make themselves sound like they are some kind of marketing genius that knows exactly how to fix every problem. Even *I* am not that arrogant- I knew better due to insider info and industry experience, as in, real world experience.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again- the wants and needs of your average casual player are a moving target, and the "outrage" is blown out of proportion because this is the internet. Some people still are crying about GUARD IMPACT mechanics....

i agee 100%.

You shouldn't have had the complain thread nuked in the first place. That was working just fine as an outlet for people to vent about the game, but now people are doing it in other threads.

This thread has a good purpose as its core, which is talking about the game's sales, the effects of that and the reasons of that. Too many people are using it as a way to generally vent about the game, but the right move isn't to nuke the entire thread.

So how well is SCV selling again?

Because last I knew, it wasn't good. I know why I didn't buy the game for a while, and I know why many of my friends and casual fans didn't buy the game. And it's because of all the aforementioned complaints. Better luck next time, Namco.
is reaching 600k the week#4 had a major boost in sales, don't know why :)

Back