SoulCast Episode #2: Esom

MLG and NCR are now behind us, and continuing on our merry path we HAVE to talk with some folks who were at these events, right? This episode we're focusing on the MLG experience and had a chat with a very well known player, Esom. (Before you ask, that is his real name.) Esom has a ton of knowledge not only from the fighting game community but specifically with Soul Calibur.

Funked and I were really excited to sit down with Esom and grill him on the MLG experience, as well as his matches with the top placers that happened outside of MLG. And, of course, we talk about a lot of random stuff with Calibur, even making a surprise appearance in the 8wayrun chat to take a couple questions.

Some notes on the actual video/audio tracks: I did upload the original audio file onto our Buzzsprout account, so if you're just looking to download the mp3 and put it on to your mp3 player, phone, or whatever, you can. I also used a different converter program, so hopefully the audio on the YouTube video is better for everyone this time around. Lastly, I think there are a couple moments where the sound either cutout or some background noise made it in. I tried my best to make it as smooth as possible. I am but human. :(

[Warning: NSFW/EXPLICIT]

8wayrun thread: http://8wayrun.com/threads/a-soul-calibur-podcast-soulcast.12186/
VGF site: http://www.videogamingfederation.org/
Buzzsprout page: http://www.buzzsprout.com/3308/45068-soulcast-2-esom

Thanks again to the 8wayrun crew for letting us do this, and thanks to everyone listening. STAY FREE!... just like us. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard the stream wasn't that good, but that doesn't mean the tournament itself wasn't good. I hope people aren't trying to judge the credibility of the tournament itself over the stream. My point is I never see this much complaining over any other tournaments, but when MLG or something else big that is a non-community ran tournament comes along, people in the community just want to shun it away. Too mainstream or something? Decent amount of FG players have this Hipster Mentality. It's like when CGS was around, mad people hated it for no reason. Those people can have fun at their horribly ran Indy tournaments. I'll continue to support events like MLG.

Now, as for a suggestion for the stream. Seeing how each round is usually done every 30 mins, more matches could probably be held off to show more matches during each 30 min rounds. There was one round, (I think before winners round 3) where it was something like an hour and a half break between, they probably could have streamed almost every winners round 2 matches in that hour and a half. Mix that in with the commercials they HAVE to show, some interviews, and we can have a good program.

I don't belong to that camp, TBH.

I respectfully withheld my feelings about the tournament and how it was run simply because I wasn't there. I could not have known how MLG ran the tournament or how players felt about it.

As a spectator, however, they do have work to do on keeping the stream entertained. Am I going to put MLG on blast? No. But I'll certainly mention that seeding wasn't great, and they really need to work on how they stream FGs. It felt kind of like they were following what they were used to with PC FPS and RTSs. But FGs are very different in how long it takes to get them set up and play out. It's something they need to work on, for sure.

I'm not saying it will always be bad, or that I think MLG is the devil - just that it has some ironing out to do to make it great. =)

So the tournament had some hitches, but I shouldn't say anything so that those hitches aren't there to begin with? Do I really need to go all the way to Columbus to realize that loser choose stage is a stupid rule? Do you see how stupid your logic is?

I need to spend hundreds of dollars and take vacation time to go to a MLG event or any other major tournament, and I'm not going to spend that time and money if they are doing something that I don't like.

And again, those hitches you mentioned could have easily not been there if not for the fact that MLG wanted to do things their way and run SCV like its Starcraft.

MLG had tons of differences. How about the fact games were best of 5 instead of best of 3. Where is the complaining about that. After all I mean its different from the FGC standard but I guess since you get more chances its not worth complaining about despite the fact that its different.

Or how about Double Jeopardy which logically makes sense but is simply different from the FGC. The deciding match between who would have had to fight Keev was between me and RTD. No offense to Shin-RyuJin but me and him go way back as far as DOA and he wouldn't have beaten me. If I had beat RTD I would have had to win 8 games to Keev's 3. Yet as the actual attendee (someone who showed up) this wouldn't have bothered me cause I can see the logic behind it. Kinda discussed in the podcast as well.

It sucks that Kayane and Keev were in same bracket. You know what though it was random and quite frankly still ultimately fair to all other contestants including those two. Seeding is nothing more than a preference. Start complaining about this if their was legitimate official rankings that weren't followed or something.

The one thing I will give you is stage select which creates all sorts of unfair shit. But to blow it up as if this one hitch makes the MLG tournament sound as bas as you guys are making it sound when it wasn't then yes your voice on the matter should be void.

To be quite honest the only argument anyone should have if you weren't there to support the actual event is to complain about the stream problems which people also forget to realize that MLG is professional. They have serious sponsors with large pots, etc. It's not a backwoods run event. Things are different.

To be blunt this community always complains about something and quite often its about the smallest things. Be fucking happy that your game is being picked up by MLG, SBO, etc. Stop complaining about things that don't require the level of complaining you like to dish out.

Wait?, they give them tournaments they complain, no tornaments they complain, woa im glad i wasnt born and raised here, who cares, at least SC5 is getting a lot of attention, you dont like one tournament then dont go, dont like the rules of an specific tournament dont go, damm, if there was problems in the tourney point them out period, but damm.

It sucks that Kayane and Keev were in same bracket. You know what though it was random and quite frankly still ultimately fair to all other contestants including those two. Seeding is nothing more than a preference. Start complaining about this if their was legitimate official rankings that weren't followed or something.

Regional seeding would have been cool. And most TO's would have thought about it first thing when they didn't have an official seeding process to go through. I don't see what the problem is with bringing this to MLG's attention. If you can't seed in a way based on results - do it by region. It's useful advice, and I don't really see it as complaining.

The one thing I will give you is stage select which creates all sorts of unfair shit. But to blow it up as if this one hitch makes the MLG tournament sound as bas as you guys are making it sound when it wasn't then yes your voice on the matter should be void.

But you are listening to a podcast that's interviewing the guy who did get screwed over by these rules, and then when the judge realized he'd made a mistake, he didn't allow for a rerun of the match. Which sucks, but was done, I'm assuming, to keep on schedule. Sure it may sound like a bigger deal than it is is being made out of it, but I mean, what else is he going to think?

To be quite honest the only argument anyone should have if you weren't there to support the actual event is to complain about the stream problems which people also forget to realize that MLG is professional. They have serious sponsors with large pots, etc. It's not a backwoods run event. Things are different.

Yes, I realize that MLG has sponsors, but they should be running ads and playing matches based around how quickly FGs run. Instead, they cut matches into blocks and scheduled them somewhat like their RTS and FPS matches. The blocks of time they ran ads in were really similar - or at least that's how I felt. Hopefully next time they will realize that FGs do not take nearly as long to set up and get going. Playing ads is fine - the dead space on the first day wasn't really.

To be blunt this community always complains about something and quite often its about the smallest things. Be fucking happy that your game is being picked up by MLG, SBO, etc. Stop complaining about things that don't require the level of complaining you like to dish out.

To be fair, you've accused me of complaining about things I wasn't complaining about before. I can remember in SCIV when you wanted to "resurrect" the community. I offered to help but told you that your plan was short sighted and I wanted to see if there was anything more. You pretty much told me that I was a hater and was hating on you because I am friends with Lobo (Which you only gathered because we lived in the same state at the time).

I said then, and I say now: I'm not hating. Just calling issues to attention. Because while it's awesome SCV is getting attention the way it is, if they don't run the stream well, that attention can be wasted.

These are my feelings about general complaints too.

Which is why I only was kinda sad about seeding/tourney rule problems and the stream.

It's great SCV is getting the attention, but I do think problems can be brought up if for no other reason than to say, "Hey this'll make it batter." The hate on MLG isn't really fair, but I mean, Esom did get screwed by the rules here, so of course he's salty.

He didn't get screwed over by the rules, but by the judge who could have been hired from the FGC.

rules didn't screw him over.

He didn't get screwed over by the rules, but by the judge who could have been hired from the FGC.

rules didn't screw him over.

You're blindly defending MLG at this point - I've said repeatedly I don't have a HUGE beef with them. But to pretend that the MLG had no part in the rule situation is a little silly. Your argument fails in several places:

1.) MLG made the rules and changed them on a whim RIGHT before the tourney. This is the reason for the mixup.

2.) MLG may have hired said judge from the community. However, they may not have.

3.) If they had, in fact, hired from the community, he still directly represents MLG. His slip up still reflects badly upon them.

In an effort of neutrality, I will say this: MLG like anything will have pros and cons. If you like what you see/hear, then attend/watch MLG; if you dont, then don't. They're just like anything else in that respect; nothing is perfect.

As fun as it was to discuss MLG with Esom, I was far more interested in what he had to say about Calibur and the matches he got in, not just in the tournament but in casuals as well.

I can understan Esom perfectly, i wasnt refering to him, i would be salty too if that happens to me.

You're blindly defending MLG at this point - I've said repeatedly I don't have a HUGE beef with them. But to pretend that the MLG had no part in the rule situation is a little silly. Your argument fails in several places:

1.) MLG made the rules and changed them on a whim RIGHT before the tourney. This is the reason for the mixup.

2.) MLG may have hired said judge from the community. However, they may not have.

3.) If they had, in fact, hired from the community, he still directly represents MLG. His slip up still reflects badly upon them.

No, wtf I'm just saying the judge screwed him over ,because he didn't understand the rules clearly. I'm not making this about you having a beef with them.

to be off topic completely, how was the sound quality this go round?
funked: I would presume by the discussion it was all right, lol.
The sound quality was satisfying, don't worry. The only thing i could mention, was the volume that could have been a little more consistent (sometimes your voices got a little quite).
But overall good job, guys.

I think that's just us not talking into the mic fully. I also have to work on my "But uh"s, so I'll add that to the list, lol.

MLG had tons of differences. How about the fact games were best of 5 instead of best of 3. Where is the complaining about that. After all I mean its different from the FGC standard but I guess since you get more chances its not worth complaining about despite the fact that its different.

I actually liked this tbh.

And I've been to plenty of fighting game tournaments with the standard best of 3....

Something about best of 5 just feels right to me. I don't know what it is.... feels like parlor tricks and short term blitz strats definitely give you a lead, but don't completely dominate the match by themselves.

Plus, I guess I've always felt best of 3 was only run so everything would run faster and smoother. However hype and massive they are, when you've got a 250 man tournament with pools being written down on a bar napkin, one does begin to worry about how long things are going to take...

Definitely didn't feel like it was going to be an issue with MLG though.

It's great SCV is getting the attention, but I do think problems can be brought up if for no other reason than to say, "Hey this'll make it batter." The hate on MLG isn't really fair, but I mean, Esom did get screwed by the rules here, so of course he's salty.

This is all that I'm trying to say. Make a couple of simple changes to make SCV at MLG better. But somehow I'm in the wrong for even saying anything even though Esom is on this podcast talking about how he got screwed over because of a rule that I questioned way before the tournament took place.

Enough about MLG, I would like to hear more about why the latest patch makes this game unplayable by some people.

I actually liked this tbh.

And I've been to plenty of fighting game tournaments with the standard best of 3....

Something about best of 5 just feels right to me. I don't know what it is.... feels like parlor tricks and short term blitz strats definitely give you a lead, but don't completely dominate the match by themselves.

Plus, I guess I've always felt best of 3 was only run so everything would run faster and smoother. However hype and massive they are, when you've got a 250 man tournament with pools being written down on a bar napkin, one does begin to worry about how long things are going to take...

Definitely didn't feel like it was going to be an issue with MLG though.

Honestly, tournies come in all shapes and sizes. I like a best of 5 as well, but like you mention, it would extend a lot of tourny timeframes dramatically. It's one of those things that is never going to be uniform. Hell, even competitive sports isn't uniform from league to league. It's one of those things that is always going to vary. :/

As for the patch, I haven't run into anyone who thinks the patch makes the game completely unplayable. As with any sweeping change, there are definitely people who will complain about certain aspects, but everyone I've talked to about it, including Esom and funked, agree that a lot of the changes they made were necessary and justified. And, considering that they're already in the works for a new patch, I would say the game it just going to get more and more polished as we go.

I actually think the BO5 is a good rule for SC5. Since the game emphasizes offense so much, BO5 seems like a good way to go; it didn't work for games like SC2 because the game was a turtle fest. But I'm honestly willing to bring up future discussion about adjusting the rules for BO5.

MLG was a fantastic tournament... it was fantastically run. Yes, it looks like one specific judge wasn't privy to some of the rule changes. But you got to ask, why were there rule changes? Because MLG reached out to respond to my complaints and were willing to discuss making changes to suit our community. They didn't change the rules on a WHIM... It took them about a week to discuss the changes before they eventually settled on what they settled.

I would rather have these issues with MLG where ONE person gets fucked over because a mistake, then tournaments run by the FGC where some people get 3 byes in a row because they built the brackets in advance without requiring online registrations, tournaments take forever to run because they only gave us 3 TVs for an expected 88 man tournament... and I somehow lose to a bye. Yes, I'm looking at you, Seasons Beatings.

Live streams

3 Viewers
FrenchWitcher_
FrenchWitcher_
[FR/+18/NO-MIC] Je suis avec un pote donc on chill

This week's events

SoulCalibur VI EVO Japan side event
Ariake GYM-EX, Tokyo (Tokyo Big Site)
3-chōme-11-1 Ariake, Koto City, Tokyo 135-0063, Japan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members