SoulCast Episode #2: Esom

MLG and NCR are now behind us, and continuing on our merry path we HAVE to talk with some folks who were at these events, right? This episode we're focusing on the MLG experience and had a chat with a very well known player, Esom. (Before you ask, that is his real name.) Esom has a ton of knowledge not only from the fighting game community but specifically with Soul Calibur.

Funked and I were really excited to sit down with Esom and grill him on the MLG experience, as well as his matches with the top placers that happened outside of MLG. And, of course, we talk about a lot of random stuff with Calibur, even making a surprise appearance in the 8wayrun chat to take a couple questions.

Some notes on the actual video/audio tracks: I did upload the original audio file onto our Buzzsprout account, so if you're just looking to download the mp3 and put it on to your mp3 player, phone, or whatever, you can. I also used a different converter program, so hopefully the audio on the YouTube video is better for everyone this time around. Lastly, I think there are a couple moments where the sound either cutout or some background noise made it in. I tried my best to make it as smooth as possible. I am but human. :(

[Warning: NSFW/EXPLICIT]

8wayrun thread: http://8wayrun.com/threads/a-soul-calibur-podcast-soulcast.12186/
VGF site: http://www.videogamingfederation.org/
Buzzsprout page: http://www.buzzsprout.com/3308/45068-soulcast-2-esom

Thanks again to the 8wayrun crew for letting us do this, and thanks to everyone listening. STAY FREE!... just like us. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I guess coming top 13 at FR means nothing?...Are you kidding me? Did I not playing anyone who know frame data, match up info, etc, etc?

I just saw this now. Just brush all that aside, bossman. I think damn near everyone there had a hard bracket and, like you've said, you've beaten some of the best of the best so I wouldn't think to hard on it. Just show up to this next tournament a lemme win!

Aside from the fact that the two sides are playing the same game? None, really. Different rules, different format, different structures all around. I wasn't suggesting any compromise had been made. I was mostly referring to the mentality of the two arenas. Individual feelings aside, MLG is a business and is run as such. Most FGC majors don't make a lot of money, so they don't have quite the same values or concerns.

But, more to your point, I don't think anyone was complaining about SC getting the shaft; in fact, I think most people have recognized that MLG was excellent exposure for the game. It's mostly community members that have certain gripes and feel the community is being taken advantage of. Again, I'm not taking sides, but I can see how both ends of the spectrum feel.

At the end of the day, as you suggest, everyone will have to make up their own minds.

I think you misunderstood what I was talking about with SC getting the shaft but, yeah. I think, regardless of how people feel, they should support the community and the game but it's whatever.

Snip......

Snip......

I totally agree. I also prefer the best of 5 format. I was just trying to make a point.

Anyway MLG for President especially after following up with invitationals for top 8. I would continue with the banter in here but I don't have the patience for it. All I'm gonna say is with the exception of maybe Evo I personally would prefer MLG anyday based on the exp I had at winter championships and the follow ups they have for top 8. It's leagues beyond what the FGC has and they've been around for years.

Honestly, I feel like we're a group of women in an abusive relationship and I found me some new dick. I'm not saying I won't take part in majors by the FGC but, to anyone who travels who doesn't give MLG a chance, don't come bitching about how SC gt the shaft at such and such a tournament.

QFT. I believe it was Brian, Alex or Krayzie (I can't remember) who mentioned in NCR that 'SC always gets their grand finals streamed in the morning'. When I heard that, I thought to myself 'then why do we stand up for that shit?' I'm not saying that SC is getting the shaft at FGC, but comparing their treatment of SC and UMvC3 is night and day.

I would get it if this treatment was purely based on hype generated -- that's fine and is a good business decision. However, SFxT got streamed last on NCR, got the bigger production value onsite and was expected by apparently everyone who planned it to be great. The audience there, however, didn't think so, as the game was about as hype as watching ice melt.

SC has continually seen the shaft in the eyes of the FGC leaders, despite producing the same number of attendants. If MLG decides to pick up on the FGC's slack, I'm all for it.

Live streams

4 Viewers
VitaminDCosplay
VitaminDCosplay
Making Your Waifus, Taking Your Song Requests

This week's events

SoulCalibur VI EVO Japan side event
Ariake GYM-EX, Tokyo (Tokyo Big Site)
3-chōme-11-1 Ariake, Koto City, Tokyo 135-0063, Japan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members