The Tournament Chronicles: Why do you play?

Sora

[11] Champion
Okay, as Evo is coming up this week (get hype), I feel that this discussion will provide some food for thought for the vast pool of players competing in the tournament.

Now, I've heard all the thrash talking between the top players, the repping from the different regions, the, forgive me, ass-kissing of people unnammed and the whole deal, but all these have one thing in common; they all -assume- that a "X" top player will undoubtedly win Evo. Apparently there's been a consensus for this before Evo, or heck, before any tournament starts.

Let me put some disclaimers up first before continuing:

1. I -know- from personal experience that top players usually dominate in most tournaments. They are not called top players for nothing. No disrespect at all to these people.

2. I'm not proclaiming the day of the underdogs, where I guarantee some virtual unknown will win a major tournament such as Evo.

The point then of this thread is this: Why do some people go to tournaments with no apparent expectation of themselves to win?

With Evo coming up, I personally want to win Evo, no matter how unpractical or snobbish that sounds. My reason is simple: I wouldn't pay good money if I was hoping to lose otherwise. I am virtually an unknown, and aside from a newbie tournament, have never placed first in any minor/major tournament, let alone top 4. I know the odds are against me, but not to sound cliche, that doesn't mean I'm thinking I'll lose outright. Nor should any player; I'm now at the mindset that I'll kick Ceirnian's ass if we meet at Evo (Hey Cedric! Lol). I'll kick the asses of all my opponents at my MM's too (=p) but that's another subject.

I know that there's more to tournaments than winning. I know that experience alone in playing at tournaments increases a player's skill tremendously (I advocate this school of thought). In addition, its a whole lot of fun to watch the energy, the hype and the thrash talk during tournaments, and pays for itself just for the sheer entertainment factor. BUT, a tournament -is-, first and foremost, a competition. And in a competition, if I'm participating (and paying to participate) I would think I want to win despite any favorites.

So I want to encourage discussion on this subject, but also want to urge all the players (and I mean ALL the players, favorite or unknown) coming to Evo to compete; don't only give your best. Don't only support your city. Don't only watch on. Play with the thought of winning. To steal a notorious line; play to win.

well that's a good question, i've never really gone to any major tournament expecting to win, i'm not going to LOSE of course, i'm going to play, and whatever happens happens.

Back