Under Night In-birth EXE Late now available on PS3 in Japan

Windstar

[13] Hero
Some of you might remember an earlier thread two years back about the game Under Night In-Birth. EXE Late is a revision of the game brought to the arcades that attempted to address balance and game play issues, as well as add two additional characters. The console version is extension of that revision with additional fine-tuning in balance and game play, as well as introducing even more new characters to the series.

The console version of the game is heading to the states early next courtesy of Aksys. So buy it when it comes out. Or you can import it, like a few players have already.

The gameplay of Under Night is based off traditional 2D fighting games from the mid to late nineties, and early 2000s. Although the game is from Melty Blood maker French Bread/ECOLE, the game bears a few more similarities to Street Fighter Alpha and Street Fighter 3. Air Blocks are in, but no air dashes, EX moves, supers and desperation-style supers called Infinite Worth also play a part in the game. Basic combat and flow resembles the pacing of Alpha with an emphasis on footsies and short combos.

For those coming back to the series, EXE Late, gets rid of looping combos in favor of shorter combos and less damage. Several characters have been retuned (Vatista, Hilde, Gordeau, Merkava) and are more or less stronger or weaker depending on the character. Infinite Worth no longer functions as an Instant Kill, but instead a very damaging super. Finally, new characters Akatsuki and Chaos were added to the arcade versions, and Nanase and Byakuya were added to the console versions.

I won't talk about the existing roster, but I will go over the new characters.

Akatsuki: A new character added to the arcade versions. Unlike the rest of the cast who fight with weapons or magic, Akatsuki relies strictly on his fists. This makes his shortcomings abundantly clear; his an extremely close range fighter without a whole lot of speed. His one ranged weapon is a standard fireball. When Akatsuki gets in close, however, he's a literal powerhouse and can dish out an enormous amount of damage in a few hits.

Chaos: Added in the arcade version. Chaos is the first pet-style fighter in Under Night. Blazblue players will recognize that he plays similar to Carl or Relius. Chaos uses a lizard-like dragon named Dahaka, to prod and poke at his foes from a safe distance and then pound them when he sees an opening. Chaos himself has even less attack range that Akatsuki and his fighting abilites are extremely weak. When Chaos is hit, Dahaka vanishes from view and many of Dahaka's attacks have cooldowns after use, making Chaos a very difficulty character to play. Japanese players didn't find Chaos to be all that great of a character, and in the Japanese arcades place him near the bottom. That said, Chaos has surprised a few players, and those that try to rush him down are likely to find themselves quickly overmatched. Like Akatsuki, Chaos requires a lot of patience to play well.

Nanase: Added in the console version. Early reports of Nanase point her to being the 'Ken' character to Hyde's 'Ryu'. She bears the standard projectile, rush attack and DP much like Hyde does. And where Hyde has follow-ups (rekkas) to all his moves, Nanase does not. All in all, she seems to be an easy character for most players to play.

Byakuya: Added in the console version. Byakuya the spider is a character that most resembles Testament from Guilty Gear. He's able to set up multiple traps - webs - on the stage that can catch and lock players briefly in place, and his overall range is pretty good, lending him a strong footsies game. He looks to be pretty straightforward, but true masters could really wreck havoc on unsuspecting players with his webs and oki game.

So... anyone still interested in this game, or maybe seeing a revived interest?

So I see about 80 of you guys have looked into this thread (or maybe it's just one guy) and no comments, yet. I assume you're interested!

Great!

Rumor has it that players (up to 4) can share the game with others if they want. So maybe you guys know someone who might know someone who wants to buy the game on the Japanese PSN store and share with four other PS3s. At any rate, that's what I heard. Take it with a grain of salt.

Does anyone have any requests or want me to put up some videos or other information regarding the game? Please let me know in this thread, otherwise it'll just fall off the page. The game seems pretty popular in other circles, there was a tournament recently in the US that had some 60 registrants. Or, again, so I heard.

Back