Video Capture Methods

ChopperMan

[09] Warrior
Looking for a good balance between low cost and good quality for a capture device.

I know Jaxel knows alot about it but I'm not looking for anything as high end as he does.

I just want to be able to capture gameplay(and possibly commentary and voices during gameplay) and upload it to youtube without losing too much quality.

So if anyone knows anything about this kind of thing I'd appreciate any help

I use a webcam and it works well for what I want to do. Since I play the game in HD, and HD capture capacity is a bit too expensive, this was the way to go. It records audio and all that too.

You could probably just plug it into a cheap DVD recorder or something along those lines if you're not too interested in capturing in HD. (DVD would have the virtue of being easy to import to the PC without extra cards, USB dongles etc.)

I think Jaxel uses the Black Magic Intensity Pro. I've been considering buying one but the cheapest one around here is $450 so screw that. The problem with most capture cards is that they have delay from the time you press a button till it shows up on the screen.

I know of two HD cards which can take input from component and/or component+HDMI and output 720p at 60 frames per second. The Intensity Pro can take input from both and the Hauppauge HD PVR can take input from component (the PS3 has HDCP anyway). The Hauppauge HD PVR actually costs less than it's own weight in gold, it's only $270 but I heard that it has half a second input delay which ruins everything.

Can you use a TV tuner card, and just have the computer record it like a TV? I've tried two setups: One with Mythbuntu and MythTV, and I've got Windows Media Center set up right now.

Can you use a TV tuner card, and just have the computer record it like a TV? I've tried two setups: One with Mythbuntu and MythTV, and I've got Windows Media Center set up right now.

You can, but it tends to lag if you try to capture it directly while playing.

I think Jaxel uses the Black Magic Intensity Pro. I've been considering buying one but the cheapest one around here is $450 so screw that. The problem with most capture cards is that they have delay from the time you press a button till it shows up on the screen.

I know of two HD cards which can take input from component and/or component+HDMI and output 720p at 60 frames per second. The Intensity Pro can take input from both and the Hauppauge HD PVR can take input from component (the PS3 has HDCP anyway). The Hauppauge HD PVR actually costs less than it's own weight in gold, it's only $270 but I heard that it has half a second input delay which ruins everything.

anything cheaper? I was looking for something in the under 200 range and be reliable but from the sounds of it I don't think that's possible

Back