Viola General Matchup Discussion

Um, I don't know if this belongs here but, I need help with a Patroklos that likes to backstep and sidestep a lot. So basically, he doesn't let me do anything without going up to him and he likes to keep a safe distance away and when I get too close he 2K, 2A, 1K, etc. He ALWAYS GI's the orb when I do 44A BE (When he can) and uses the move 236K a lot (Specifically to hit me while I'm on the ground).I can't use 8A+B in the beginning of the match (He backsteps and sidesteps) nor 6A+B. When I try 22_88A+B he blocks it, and when I try 66AAB, he ducks under the B and punishes correspondingly.The thing that frustrates me the most is that I love to do B,B,B and cancel the orb into 6B+K and continue for a mix up but he ducks under the orb and punishes. He also won't let go of guard when I try 6B+K 6B 3B, he blocks it and punishes my 3B. I've tried to use grabs, but he literally broke all of them, I'm not even exaggerating. I did get one ORB B+G in but that's it.Another thing I tried was to not let him escape and keep pummeling him with attacks. That worked for only a little while. I had tried using 1A+B to catch him while he's backdashing/sidestepping in the beginning of the match and it worked. Then I sent out a barrage of attacks that he didn't block and I did get a lot of damage in but then it all went down hill from there. He figured out how to guard 1A+B so that wasn't of any use anymore. He successfully guarded all of my attacks and punished me a lot.The other problem is, that he trains me to block his 2K/1K/2A, and then he hits me with a 3B.In all honesty, he just completely shuts my Viola down. I don't think I'm BAD with Viola, I've been told by many others that I'm pretty good, but this was horrible. He destroyed me every match. He won 13 times in a row, and at that point, I was just trying not to get perfected.So, uh, yeah, if you want me to tell you who it is I will, but I don't think it's very necessary. And I know I could try to figure all this out on my own, I thought this was more convenient.

Sorry it's not in paragraph form. I had copied and pasted th is from another thread and it decided to act stupid today. T^T

Also...a 50th revision for me! Viola vs. Asta has to be 6-4 ....or maybe it's even and I'm just playing extremely well against every Ast...but I sux...so... XP

Have you ever played Lopedo's Astaroth? If not i really wish you could. Maybe it's just me but he makes that match feel like such an uphill battle, it's crazy. It could just be that i dont have much experience against the quick and offensive Astaroths, just the slow passive ones who block all day.

I dunno who that guy is but I've played Lolo's and Xeph's. Also many people (from this site even) pull him out when I pick her. He does have some gimmicky stuff...the risk/reward is heavily in Viola's favor.

I dunno who that guy is but I've played Lolo's and Xeph's. Also many people (from this site even) pull him out when I pick her. He does have some gimmicky stuff...the risk/reward is heavily in Viola's favor.
I was fighting DrakeAldan. I don't know if that helps though. I could upload a video if you'd like.

And you were speaking to me, right?

EDIT: Actually, I can't upload a video. For some reason the matches didn't save.

I was in a room with DrakeAldan, him and this guy Fuzion404 when I was fighting drake we disconnected and he left the room and than fuzion made a room and invited me.it was a 1 on 1 room he was A4 so I wasn't teapot expected to do to good. He would punish all of my 3bs and I think whenever he did I think 3a I would always crouch cause I thought it was a low and I would always be hit by it.he beat me 5 times and than I won once than he beat me 5 more times and I sai I wante one more macth for the road and I had to really try I had to pay attention to everything he did and punish everything he beat me two round and things were not looking to great an somehow I came back and bet him 3 to 2.is there anyway To upload the math from my ps3 cause it really is a great match

I was in a room with DrakeAldan, him and this guy Fuzion404 when I was fighting drake we disconnected and he left the room and than fuzion made a room and invited me.it was a 1 on 1 room he was A4 so I wasn't teapot expected to do to good. He would punish all of my 3bs and I think whenever he did I think 3a I would always crouch cause I thought it was a low and I would always be hit by it.he beat me 5 times and than I won once than he beat me 5 more times and I sai I wante one more macth for the road and I had to really try I had to pay attention to everything he did and punish everything he beat me two round and things were not looking to great an somehow I came back and bet him 3 to 2.is there anyway To upload the math from my ps3 cause it really is a great match
he's on 8wr because he's on my psn list. You can type his name to look for him, in the search bar. But as for reuploading matches, go to replays in the psn sc5 menu, it should be there. :) If not I'm not sure what you could do. You can also go to the play station network match finder forum here. Your comment might get removed because its not topic related. Not trying to be rude or anything just a tip. :D

To upload replays you have to go to the replay section of the online menu (obviously). Then, you SAVE the replay you want from your battle log to your 'my battles'. Then you would hit a button (Not sure which, it should say at the bottom of the screen) that says something like 'start outputting'. Then, after you've watched the match again, it should be outputted to your videos on the ps3 home. After that, you can copy the vid to a USB and transfer it to your computer.

To upload replays you have to go to the replay section of the online menu (obviously). Then, you SAVE the replay you want from your battle log to your 'my battles'. Then you would hit a button (Not sure which, it should say at the bottom of the screen) that says something like 'start outputting'. Then, after you've watched the match again, it should be outputted to your videos on the ps3 home. After that, you can copy the vid to a USB and transfer it to your computer.
even though it wasn't for me, thanks because I never learned how to use that feature lol.

Thx I'll see what I can do and about your patroklos match up try using 6B+K 1K 44K 1A typically people don't expect that many lows and when he does a launcher or anything that looks punishable do AA with no callback or 3A an try not to do all the work in the match when he spaces you try 6B+K and 2B+K mixup whenever I use this people try and side step but they don't 8 or 2 sidestep they most likely will 1 or 7 trying to get in closer and when they get close enough don't start 6b+K mixup cause they can catch you and punish you try mayb 1A or 66AA to 22_88A+B or22_88 A(B) or 22_88K(B) callback optional.these are just some ideas might not work they might will but good luck whenever you fight a patroklos or any1 for that matter

Why would you ever use 1A? It's slow, very unsafe, and to top it all off it only does half the damage that lows such as 1K and 44K do. :/

One thing to remember is that Patroklos has solid block punishment. Any blocked low is at least 236B punishable, with more unsafe lows like 1A+B being WR K, A punishable. You definitely don't want to be at mid range against him - that's where his 66B is at its most potent. It's not slow enough to JG easily, and on normal guard it's only -2. If it hits, he gets a good 80 damage meterless. Fortunately, Viola happens to be a character who can compete with that sort of meterless damage. :) The best advice is to try and be just slightly out of 66B range, and then try and set up 6B+K mix-ups. In particular try it in conjunction with 6B+K. If he does 66B, you take some damage, but not too much. If he sidesteps or blocks high, he gets hit. If he blocks low, the unsafety is negated due to 6B+K. :)

I'd say the match-up is pretty even overall - no obvious advantage either way.

Why would you ever use 1A? It's slow, very unsafe, and to top it all off it only does half the damage that lows such as 1K and 44K do. :/

One thing to remember is that Patroklos has solid block punishment. Any blocked low is at least 236B punishable, with more unsafe lows like 1A+B being WR K, A punishable. You definitely don't want to be at mid range against him - that's where his 66B is at its most potent. It's not slow enough to JG easily, and on normal guard it's only -2. If it hits, he gets a good 80 damage meterless. Fortunately, Viola happens to be a character who can compete with that sort of meterless damage. :) The best advice is to try and be just slightly out of 66B range, and then try and set up 6B+K mix-ups. In particular try it in conjunction with 6B+K. If he does 66B, you take some damage, but not too much. If he sidesteps or blocks high, he gets hit. If he blocks low, the unsafety is negated due to 6B+K. :)

I'd say the match-up is pretty even overall - no obvious advantage either way.
I said 2A not 1A. lol But thanks, I'll try to stay not too close to him. But the problem was, he was keeping his distance, and I guess he was about his 66B range, and I couldn't really attack him because he would also sidestep. :P But I'll try that next time, thanks

I said 2A not 1A. lol But thanks, I'll try to stay not too close to him. But the problem was, he was keeping his distance, and I guess he was about his 66B range, and I couldn't really attack him because he would also sidestep. :P But I'll try that next time, thanks

Not you, the guy whose post is above mine. :P

Another thing to note is that his step killers are either: a) unsafe (e.g. 66K), b) slow (e.g. 66A) or b) have super short range (e.g. 44A). Close-mid range is ideal.

Oh, and BS is Viola vs Nightmare as bad as 3:7.

Not you, the guy whose post is above mine. :P

Another thing to note is that his step killers are either: a) unsafe (e.g. 66K), b) slow (e.g. 66A) or b) have super short range (e.g. 44A). Close-mid range is ideal.

Oh, and BS is Viola vs Nightmare as bad as 3:7.
Ok, thanks, I'll try to punish.

My worst matchup is Nastu, no matter how much I practice. I know many people probably mentioned her.

One of my fave side step moves are 88kb (set). I usually combo jump k after, but its probably not safe. So what would you guys suggest I use as a good side step move? Specifically against Natsu? Perhaps one that combos, please. :)

My worst matchup is Nastu, no matter how much I practice. I know many people probably mentioned her.

One of my fave side step moves are 88kb (set). I usually combo jump k after, but its probably not safe. So what would you guys suggest I use as a good side step move? Specifically against Natsu? Perhaps one that combos, please. :)
Her main quickstep/sidestep moves that I use are ORB 22_88A+B (into 66A+BB) and SET 22_88AB(cancel into SET 6B+K or wait a second longer for ORB 6B+K). But if you use either too soon she'll move back into the line of attack, so you have to make sure you're clear before you do either.

Back