Viola General Matchup Discussion

optymuss

[12] Conqueror
This thread is general discussion for matchups :)

Raphael

On a prep transition just input 8A+B it evades prep A and B and kills prep K and prep A+B, the second hit kills prep 4.
  • For Raph 66(B) - you 8A+B but prep K kills it, 2a can be evaded with prep 4. you should Qstep 66B on reaction.
  • Raph 3(B) prep K clashes with 8A+B
  • Raph 66(B) at tip, prep 4 prep BB kills 8A+B retaliation.
  • Raph prep 44A(B) prep A kills 8A+B but 2A kills all attacks, use 8A+B to kill prep 4
  • all other prep moves can be killed =)
Leixia

JG Her SG damage oriented moves and mix up oriented moves to limit their use, punish accordingly.
  • AAB - Its going to take practice to JG this. On JG its 3B punishable. On block its -15. The usage of this move if AA is blocked depends on how gutsy and desperate the Leixia player is. i dont think you can tell between the AA and AAB animations.
  • 6(A) - Viola 3B is evaded by Leixia WR B. Punish with BB right after you block it you can 2A. 2A is better also if you have certain followups for 6A and 6(A).
  • 3AA - TC, MID and i20. This move sucks at tip range and if 3A is blocked at tip 3AA will whiff, punish with 3B. 3AA is actually easy to JG. Its -13 on a JG. Look for her hilt and wrist movement. practice it too.
  • 6BA - Against Viola this move is risky, Viola 3B TCs the A part. Try to look for the horizontal strike. 3B will also punish 6BaB, just look for the horizontal strike. Try to react accordingly to the 6BA and 6B. Practice it
  • 4B Series - 4BB actually is easy to recognize due to leixia spinning and the window is large enough for a JG, on JG is -12. You can step it though, and punish with 3B. 4BbK can also be punished by 3B if i recall but you have to twitch step if you anticipate 4BB, react well and 3B to punish. look for the blue edge attack color of 4BbK and the spinning animation of 4BB. practice it.
  • 6KK - kinda difficult to JG at first. JG is more rewarding as it lessens SG damage and its 3B punishable. I would practice JGing this move alot in order to tell between 6K and 6KK as it is an annoying move. its -16 on block for both hits. its i14 too.
  • 1KK - thank god this move has poor range. stay at N/O 6B (tip) range to evade this move. if you can, block the 1st hit and punish with 9A or you can use 9A to evade the first hit. practice it. Doing this can discourage her FC mix up game. (Ex: Leixia 1K, you block low due to expecting 1KK, leixia 2A/2K/WR A/WR B mixups. it can cripple her SG game too.
  • A+B - JG the second hit, (A+B) is steppbale to viola's right.
  • 2A+B - Evade ad punish with 8/9 A
  • 4A+B - JG before the 2nd hit is blocked, look for the 4A+bB animation and punish with 3B, 4A+B is -16 on JG. punish with 6B or BB.
  • FC 3bB - dont lock up on this move, just A) step and 3B punish or B) 9A. Depends on if you hesitate. On KNDs Ukemi left and step, look for the blue animation of the BA.
  • 66B series - its steppable and 66BB and 66BbB is steppable if you block 66B. Leixia will use this move to close in if you turtle. try to practice telling between 66BB and 66B to discourage this move. practice it.
Moves to look out for:
  • 1A - a mid horizontal, owever its slow but TCs. has good range too. CH 1A 3B CE is a combo.
  • 4A - mid horizontal, faster than 1A but doesnt TC. aside from its advancing step, this move has terrible range.
  • 3B - yes this will be Leixia's main SG damage move if you have good use of anti Leixia. it spaces Viola and is -13. you best punish is K or to set up a low/mid mix up on her recovery. Viola will have problems with this move if you decide not to step and if your at mid range.
  • 1B - Leixia's close range SG damage against viola.
  • 3K - a ridiculous ranged kick that skills backstep. its linear ,but fast.
  • 4K - another ridiculous kick that has very good range, kills side step, but is high.
  • 3A+B - fast mid horizontal taht puts Leixia in FC.
Your goal:

• stay at close range with her in order to get the maximum damage for punishing.

Haha, wish I had read that OP before I got thrashed today by a pretty decent Raphael. The question remains however, what do we do about Astaroth? It's a race to see who gets the first hit in when up close with Astaroth, his throw or my shitty scrapey moves. We know who has the advantage in damage. Even if I hit him four times he only has to catch me once...

Haha, wish I had read that OP before I got thrashed today by a pretty decent Raphael. The question remains however, what do we do about Astaroth? It's a race to see who gets the first hit in when up close with Astaroth, his throw or my shitty scrapey moves. We know who has the advantage in damage. Even if I hit him four times he only has to catch me once...

You need to throw him a few times. Just to get an okay health lead. Then try to use moves like 44K, and 66K or other hgh advantage giving moves. He is slow in some areas. So if you get a hit its easy to lock him up. Use 2A and 3A to counter grabs. You should use 2A alot to make it harder for him to step and rely on his more slow mid moves. You will evade grabs with 2A and 3A too.

And of course, learn to break grabs if you dont.

Also don't forget that all our launchers TC. So 3B, 33B, and 33(B) are all solid options if you know the throw is probably coming. Hit them with that a few times and you they won't be so willing to throw.

Eh, I dunno, her launchers don't seem to come out fast enough, there isn't really enough time to do a 3b right after I've dashed in, by that point he's readied himself for the throw. Getting in there is half the battle.That's why I hate starting off the battle at mid-range with the orb. No launch options and no options for ball shenanigans. You can't dash away because of his range and you can't dash in because her moves when she has the orb are sickeningly slow.

The starts of the battle is really what determines the course of the match for me with Viola. 6A+B is a viable way to start the battle if he's not sidestepping, but buffering into that move at the beginning is difficult, can't afford to delay at the beginning, but if you buffer too much you just end up dashing forward

Have you tried to set the orb at the beginning ?
W/O 6B has good range. 44K is good too. Try 2A to keep him at close range and the simple 2K and 2B mix ups.

I rarely , if ever use 6A+B now. Seems like an easy enough way to place the orb, but the start up and recovery are just too long. Against mobile opponents, this move is pointless. I usually set the orb with 4A+B/6B+K; people are catching onto the fact that W/O AAB leaves her so open.

Anyway, the matchup that is giving me massive trouble right now is vs. Mitsu. I can confidently say that I have lost 9/10 vs. Mitsu matches, whether the player be weak, average, or very solid. I feel he can control space much better than Viola, and can shut down her pressure with little effort. I have no idea right now how to approach this matchup, it really seems to show how linear Viola is and how lacking her step killers are.

How safe is setting the orb raw? Thinking about it, it might be the best option, but by the time you've set it you'll definitely be blocking a giant axe to your face though. So the momentum is already in his favour.

Hmm. I would set the orb to bait them. If they backstep then recall it. But he has more range, so your right

2B+K could be better because of the TC. Most likely isn't probably. I will test to see how punishable a raw set is.

Baiting Astaroth isn't a bad idea if you're good at parrying, but that's not really an option online. Offline parrying Asty isn't too hard.

I've found assrot players like to do a lot of horizontals at long range. I let them think they put me there and start side stepping them to bait them. When they do a big horizontal I use 2B+K (N/O) to duck and knock them down to rush them. You also have to be ready to do a jump attack cuz assrot scrubs like to use the sweeps on downed opponents a lot. And have 4B+K ready cuz they also like to do the side step vertical launch a lot.

Anti Leixia has been updated, practice it. its offline tactics. Any easier things please discuss. Comments are needed too for further discussion/analysis. We can talk about asta too.

I find that natsu is actually a very fun fight for viola considering natsu has to stay within a similar range in order to do the most damage, While natsu FAR out damages natsu, I find her to be easily dealt with simply because viola is far less step-able at close range,

Agreed, I've never really had too much of a problem with Natsu, range a stun has always been my problem which is why Nightmare and Astoroth give me a headache. Fights with Natsu are fast and intense, and to be honest, even though her damage output is high, it's not impossible to avoid.

Hi. I plan on picking up Viola as one of my mains besides Leixia and I was wondering if there are any tips on defeating the siblings(Pyrrha and Patroklos) with her. Thanks!^_^

Pyrrha isn't too much of a problem as long as you know her moveset. Learn how to block her high lows and what moves you can interrupt and you'll be fine. There's a character matchup thread where you should ask this stuff really.

I have played every SC and decided to main Viola in SC5. I played in a local tournament but unfortunately got owned by a Xiba player. I find that Xiba is my WORST matchup with Viola and it's depressing haha. I have beat my boyfriend with Viola with any character he plays bar Tira and Xiba. With my friends who play as Xiba too, his long range attacks just kill me... Any advice haha? :)

I have played every SC and decided to main Viola in SC5. I played in a local tournament but unfortunately got owned by a Xiba player. I find that Xiba is my WORST matchup with Viola and it's depressing haha. I have beat my boyfriend with Viola with any character he plays bar Tira and Xiba. With my friends who play as Xiba too, his long range attacks just kill me... Any advice haha? :)
Just gotta get in close. Xiba is at his strongest at midrange, you are at your weakest at midrange. Thus its best to stay outta midrange. Just a few tidbits from the guide if you didnt already know how to counter these things: 6BK if very popular by Xiba players. If you block the B you can punish with a fast move. Or you can even step the B since its very linear. 66BBB if one of their better strings for pressuring you and mixing you up if you aren't sidestepping much. If you block the first hit and the 2nd doesnt come. or if you guard the whole string then the last hit is very unsafe. Then punish it heavily to discourage its use. If you get used to 1A you can do a forward jumping attack and hit him as he recovers.

Back