Vista/XP Transfer

KnightWarrior

[10] Knight
Is there a way on Vista that allows you to transfer Files to XP..Not with USB Pen Drives...

I mean when you do a File & Setting Transfer Wizard on XP

I want to transfer over 20 GB of Movies...

Is an external HDD no good? They're pretty cheap these days and your easiest option. Or just do a ghetto file transfer where you pull the HDD from the computer with the info you need, install it on the computer where you need the data to go, and copy it. You can burn it to a dual layer disk if you have a burner. You can get a bidirectional USB transfer cable and run the file transfer wizard. Or put both machines on a network if you know how to do so.

But I never used the File and Settings transfer wizard if you are specifically trying to use that since I never had a need to use it, but you will either need the computers connected to each other or removable media to use it. In Vista, it is called Windows Easy Transfer.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/features/easy-transfer.aspx

Network them together using a Switch, and 2 Ethernet cables, join them to the same workgroup, and enable file sharing, by right clicking on a folder with your movies, (Or creating a new one and moving them there) and selecting "Share..." Be sure to give permissions to Everyone, and give read and wirght access as well. Once both PCs are talking ot eachother, you will be able to go to your network places, find the Vista PC, and copy files from that folder.

Back