Voldo Q&A / General Discussion

What's the point in complaining that it's other people making this thread a flame war when you're continuing it? BORING.

Stop posting shit.

I really love to use (4)kB, the built in slight side step upon execution has nifty uses, and applications. Have any of you tried these out? Since we're on the subject, FC 3B is amazing at STC'ing under horizontal-mids. I know of a few anti-strings that you can use it on to interrupt without a scratch (other characters cannot really do this), by ducking under, then punishing their string. Have you guys messed with these as well? I'd like to see which ones you know. It can help put your opponent on the defensive if you know a way around their stuff lol. I can tell you how well it works, as I use it frequently, but like I said, only in a couple of matchups. It is a minor risk (since it's so easy to do, basically just an iFC 3B, or in some cases, it doesn't have to be iFC) minor reward (Terrible damage on FC 3B), with good wakeup pressure options. I mess it up sometimes, but I can always blame online for that. However, offline, without the buffering you get online, makes it even easier to do. It's all sight.

Last edited:
I only use iBCR (4k:B) after guard break (for iBCR B) or sometimes after GI.

FC 3B is not bad, but it's -16. I only use it as a Nighmare 3B] punisher.
The pushback can make it safe though but I don't know, FC 3B is not natural for me.

When would you use those moves ?

Speaking of one underrated move : 44B.
44B has TC frames (and weird side step). The reward is very good on hit, and the risk on block is very small, worst thing that can happen is 44B being stepped.
I sometimes use it against, for exemple Pyrrha after her AA (44B will duck under another AA if you blocked a first one) or on wake up situations.
It's also a very good move after GI or after Guard Break. Just be careful of the angle of your 44B hit since if you're on left side sometimes BS 6B6B will whiff.

Yeah, I don't like the recovery off FC 3B either, but when you're using it to STC, you don't have to worry about it being blocked. If your timing is right, it'll be a guaranteed hit. I've tried using it as a punish to NM's 3(B) before, and unless you wait for NM's post 3(B) attack, you have a high chance of getting countered. Any intelligent NM that knows how to fight Voldo knows which attacks to look out for while they are zoning, and would be conditioned to generate a canned reaction from you (FC 3B post NM's 3(B). WR (K) seems like the safest option after blocking 3B (It whiffs at max 3(B) range), and this option is fine if you're trying to limit NM's options, but in competition, in the later matches, you can get bigger combo damage if you wait for NM's to make the first move post 3(B), and it whiffs. Much bigger damage.

NSS bA side steps and tech crouches in the early frames. NM's fastest attack (post 3(B)), so that removes FC 3B from your list of punisher's to 3(B) right away (Also WR AA, FC 3A+B, WR A+B, all lose to this move, and unless you are just trying to force NM to make a guess, these are all good choices for max damage if you guess right, but if you guess wrong, you're eating a lot of damage. With that, you can do a few things. You can suspect that they wait, and maybe G cancel out of it, to which you can iCR grab them before they can duck. I find that works best at tip 3(B) range, though it will also lose to NSS bA, but we're beyond that point now, forcing NM to choose what he's going to do will make him try to still outthink you, while planning a backup, with an all purpose punisher such as WR (K), you can make the NM uncomfortable in throwing 3B unless at their max range. Then they feel safe, then comes teh iCR grab. Then come the full screen NSS bA's, then come the bigger punishes.

I go under attacks with FC 3B all of the time. You can use it to go under Maxi's RC A, B on the point of contact A. Or Asta's 3KB. Good stuff to do to initiate thought from your opponent. Or frustrations if they rely on those moves and you keep interrupting.

44B is becoming more and more amazing to me. It has such weird evasive properties that it can actually squeeze through certain strings. I've been using it to get around Viola's 44AA BE. You block the first two attacks, then 44B around the orb. Viola can block the 44B, but it prevents them from foolishly rushing in, or think that it's a guaranteed mixup. Makes things a little bit more tricky. I would expect someone at your level to know about this already so this is all probably redundant info. Take of it what you will.

Last edited:
If your timing is right, it'll be a guaranteed hit. I've tried using it as a punish to NM's 3(B) before, and unless you wait for NM's post 3(B) attack, you have a high chance of getting countered. Any intelligent NM that knows how to fight Voldo knows which attacks to look out for while they are zoning, and would be conditioned to generate a canned reaction from you (FC 3B post NM's 3(B). WR (K) seems like the safest option after blocking 3B (It whiffs at max 3(B) range), and this option is fine if you're trying to limit NM's options, but in competition, in the later matches, you can get bigger combo damage if you wait for NM's to make the first move post 3(B), and it whiffs. Much bigger damage.

I go under attacks with FC 3B all of the time. You can use it to go under Maxi's RC A, B on the point of contact A. Or Asta's 3KB. Good stuff to do to initiate thought from your opponent. Or frustrations if they rely on those moves and you keep interrupting.

You're complicating NM.
It's actually all about the range.
NSS bA kills FC 3B at a certain range. Close range it's a garanteed punish.
Mid range, you have WS K and of course CE. But delay FC 3B works too.
Or if you can't get the delay timing right, 236 into CR AA, or even better 236 CR B+K into BCR B (nerver tried but should work - depending on NSS moves recovery) prevents them from using NSS bA too much.

Mostly I am using only FC 3B, CE (and 236 into CR AA sometimes) against NM 3B].

Tip range, it all depends on what they like to do.

PS : I have no clue about Viola MU knowledge haha, she's banned in France so thanks for the info !
Voldo has tons of weird evade stuff like that. It's so fun !
Some I noted : iWS A+B will STC iMCF, 4K will evade and CH Leixia 66BB (but be careful, not 66BB] ), 66B will eat Patroklos BB if Pat is +0/-4, 22A+B will evade 236A Pat if Pat is at -2, etc ...

PPS : For the BSSJG happy players, if you backdash BSSJG Alpha's 8A+BA, don't bother with a mid or high move. Everything you will do (or almost everything and everything that is damaging) will whiff. I don't know why. It's frustrating as hell.
Just use BS 66A+G throw in that situation, it's a free BT throw since aPat is in BT after 8A+BA.

aPat vs Voldo is so difficult for Voldo...

I use 22_88 A+B somewhat often. More often than I should, really, but *if* I have a read on my opponent and can use it to properly sidestep and turn it into a full BS WR B punish, it's amazing.

And for more solid players, if you use it sparingly, they won't be used to a sudden super quick BS A or 22_88 A+B~BS 2A+B, setting you up for dat BS mixup pressure.

Anyone have advice for the pat matchup?

Pat gets a fuckton more damage on BS Voldo than most of the cast, and voldo's horrible movement usually results in eating a 66B. The good news is voldo can roll a lot of his oki pressure, but thats just voldo in general.

Pat gets a fuckton more damage on BS Voldo than most of the cast, and voldo's horrible movement usually results in eating a 66B. The good news is voldo can roll a lot of his oki pressure, but thats just voldo in general.

Use 1A against most of his movements !
Don't hesitate to backash/step into BSSJG, Patroklos is a perfect character for that : 236A, 66B, 44A, etc... all i16-i22 moves which are perfect BSSJG targets.
It forces Patroklos to delay or use his pokes which aren't that great and will often whiff.

If you're in BS, 66B is not that dangerous since you'll either step it or guard it.
1K is a free CE or WS AA punishment.

Voldo is really great against Pat IMO, He has tons of options against him. If Pat didn't have his customs combos against BS Voldo (3B 1B BE etc), I actually believe it would be 5-5.

EDIT : I actually put a lot of work against Pat too since it used to give me trouble.
Here's a vid that helped me a lot :

Here's a tournament set they had recently :

Good luck.

Last edited:
Theres just one problem here, there is no other pat that is like Blue's. We can all give examples of other players but the other players don't disrespect overkill you like Blue does. Other Pats won't be afraid to throw out 10 1K's in a row, or just throw out A+B for the sake of throwing out A+B. Or constantly putting you into 1B mix ups.

You can try to get MU experience against the character, but that only does so much. At some point you'll realize, (as I have) that "da knees of justice are too OP." (And this is coming from someone who actually gives him trouble)

I never thought I would see the day that DIME asks for advice... mind = blown. Well maybe StevenA's perception of you being a scrub is true after all Kappa.

Theres just one problem here, there is no other pat that is like Blue's. We can all give examples of other players but the other players don't disrespect overkill you like Blue does. Other Pats won't be afraid to throw out 10 1K's in a row, or just throw out A+B for the sake of throwing out A+B. Or constantly putting you into 1B mix ups.

You can try to get MU experience against the character, but that only does so much. At some point you'll realize, (as I have) that "da knees of justice are too OP." (And this is coming from someone who actually gives him trouble)

I think there should be another page added in DrakeAldan's guide of learning how to play SC5 in honor of @Blueboyb : Overkilling/disrespecting

Let's face it, overkilling was intended by the game developers. Why else would there be a few seconds of gametime after you defeat your opponent?
I'm pretty sure there's a reason why environmental changes are carried over to the next round after you do stuff like slamming your already beatened opponent to a destructible wall or causing the cages in the voldo stage to go down.

This strategy enables one to go for RO's easily or maybe preventing wall combos that your opponent's character specializes in from happening in the first place.

I'm also pretty sure there's a reason why grabs are enabled again after defeating your opponent. (compared to SC4 where it was disabled.
>By extending the game time after defeating your opponent, (those 5 second grabs do add up.. especially patroklos' knees of justice) it serves to remind your opponent that you pwned them and those extra seconds would allow them to let that fact sink in. Not only does it solidify your dominance, but it also adds insult to injury depending how swagtastic your overkill is, which could intimidate your opponent and cause them to fuck up more due to their feelings being flustered.

Can you gain meter from just simply overkilling ? NO! This is why you should aim to do stuff like changing the environment or grabbing.

Seriously we need to start some project like "The Art of Overkilling" up because this could possibly be the new revolutionary strategy to fighting games. We need to get rid of the stigma that is associated with overkilling! I get kicked cause I do it, like what the hell.

I'll have to give my credits to @Blueboyb for inspiring me to practice overkilling and opening that hidden knowledge of wisdom in my brain.

This might be the only post where I actually written something that can be considered 'insightful'.

There should be another page on DrakeAldan's SC5 guide on the strategy of taunting/teabagging. Think it's a joke? Go look at ninjaguy446 vs woahhzz at Summer Jam 2014. Woahhzz had a life lead but succumbed to ninjaguy's taunting and it made him lose the whole set.
My theory is that when you teabag/taunt, it makes your opponent's guard go down because they probably think you're not taking the game seriously and it would cause them to feel inclined to teabag/taunt back OR it would make them go on the offensive as a reply to your indimidation, thus making them more vulnerable.

Let's promote this guys xD : @ZER0 @Rocktopus @Never_Relent

Last edited:
Let's face it, overkilling was intended by the game developers. Why else would there be a few seconds of gametime after you defeat your opponent?
I'm pretty sure there's a reason why environmental changes are carried over to the next round after you do stuff like slamming your already beatened opponent to a destructible wall or causing the cages in the voldo stage to go down.

This strategy enables one to go for RO's easily or maybe preventing wall combos that your opponent's character specializes in from happening in the first place.
@ZER0 @Rocktopus @Never_Relent

I'm often surprised at how many people think me breaking walls with CR A+G after a round is over is me trying to taunt or insult my opponent. That's never been my style. I'm setting up ringouts. Anybody who has ever seen me get up as quickly as possible to try and get a second wallbreak on Leixia's stage, or Cervy's, or various other stages, that's why. Because those walls generally help my opponents more than me and the timing and spacing are tight if you want to destroy two before the next round starts

I never thought I would see the day that DIME asks for advice... mind = blown. Well maybe StevenA's perception of you being a scrub is true after all Kappa.

I think there should be another page added in DrakeAldan's guide of learning how to play SC5 in honor of @Blueboyb : Overkilling/disrespecting

I'm also pretty sure there's a reason why grabs are enabled again after defeating your opponent. (compared to SC4 where it was disabled.
>By extending the game time after defeating your opponent, (those 5 second grabs do add up.. especially patroklos' knees of justice) it serves to remind your opponent that you pwned them and those extra seconds would allow them to let that fact sink in. Not only does it solidify your dominance, but it also adds insult to injury depending how swagtastic your overkill is, which could intimidate your opponent and cause them to fuck up more due to their feelings being flustered.

Can you gain meter from just simply overkilling ? NO! This is why you should aim to do stuff like changing the environment or grabbing.

Seriously we need to start some project like "The Art of Overkilling" up because this could possibly be the new revolutionary strategy to fighting games. We need to get rid of the stigma that is associated with overkilling! I get kicked cause I do it, like what the hell.

I'll have to give my credits to @Blueboyb for inspiring me to practice overkilling and opening that hidden knowledge of wisdom in my brain.

This might be the only post where I actually written something that can be considered 'insightful'.

There should be another page on DrakeAldan's SC5 guide on the strategy of taunting/teabagging. Think it's a joke? Go look at ninjaguy446 vs woahhzz at Summer Jam 2014. Woahhzz had a life lead but succumbed to ninjaguy's taunting and it made him lose the whole set.
My theory is that when you teabag/taunt, it makes your opponent's guard go down because they probably think you're not taking the game seriously and it would cause them to feel inclined to teabag/taunt back OR it would make them go on the offensive as a reply to your indimidation, thus making them more vulnerable.

considering that I'm learning patroklos aswell, I feel inclined to agree with this, mindgames-wise it does let you get into your opponents head, you piss them off and then you'll find out they're off there usual game and start throwing shit out for no reason.
But at the same time, I cannot...such behaviour will probably promote elitism and will often give the community a backlash and we scare away newer, aspiring players who wish to pick up SC. Think about it, hatemail, drama as bad the current ones we got going on would be the norm, we wouldn't be able to have a civilised tourney without someone calling someone out or threats/acts of violence.
Should this happen, we'de lose new blood and fresh minds for the game, ultimately the people who will carry on the legacy of the soul series and the players themselves.
Before you know it we'll be down in the shit where the community is full of elitists and will stigmatise just about anyone who wants to get into this awesome game, just look at Tekken.
But really though the only time I'll ever do such a thing is when I'm waaay too hype for my own good, having a laugh with mates (forever alone...I have no mates), or when my opponent feels the need to disrespect me for no good reason other than to just be a dick, guys like Jemmmy1988, Wiseman-37 or Icy-Smokes for example. Otherwise I try and respect everyone.

This has encouraged me to overkill even more! Starting with my next victim... Silvomar.

1. 2 minutes ago - fukou_da_man:
    Ninjaguy taunts into wins from unwinnable situations, beat that
  2. 2 minutes ago - Sett:
    blueboy taunts in the final round when both have 10%

Confirmed: Taunting is a strategy Kappa

Amazing find by Gold|Dratak !

Apparently, you just need to hold 4 and press a button : 4]K or 4]A or whatever.

No more 66B+G front RO throw from Pat :)
His wake up game is completely useless too, since he ends in BT.

Amazing find by Gold|Dratak !

Apparently, you just need to hold 4 and press a button : 4]K or 4]A or whatever.

No more 66B+G front RO throw from Pat :)
His wake up game is completely useless too, since he ends in BT.

I swear at 0.03 it looked like Pat was about to shaft Voldo from behind

That's the jankiest Voldo bug I've seen yet.

I'm guessing it works because the thrown player's inputs aren't ignored during the throw to allow for countermashing. If that's true a similar glitch should be present for Dampierre's side throw.

That's the jankiest Voldo bug I've seen yet.

I'm guessing it works because the thrown player's inputs aren't ignored during the throw to allow for countermashing. If that's true a similar glitch should be present for Dampierre's side throw.

tested, nope unless I'm doing something wrong

Back