What character buffs/nerfs would YOU like to see?

maxi had the biggest damage nerf in the 1.03 patch, where pretty much everything got nerfed noticeably.

Reactions: IRM
I have no idea why maxi should be nerfed. He isn't a bad character by any means - he is really good actually - but he has some obvious weaknesses too.

Maxi really doesn't need a damage nerf. If he got that he'd be trash.
Again just my opinion. It just feels like he does a major amount of damage for such a fast character. Not to mention his range is a lot longer than it should be for a pair of nunchaku.

Again just my opinion. It just feels like he does a major amount of damage for such a fast character. Not to mention his range is a lot longer than it should be for a pair of nunchaku.

Maxi uses a pair of nunchakus with a long chain. so instead of getting double his arm reach he gets 2 and 1/2 reach Kappa nerf Xiba he's OP dmg.

Maxi uses a pair of nunchakus with a long chain. so instead of getting double his arm reach he gets 2 and 1/2 reach Kappa nerf Xiba he's OP dmg.
I feel that Xiba's damage is proportionate to his speed. He really only has about 3 useful moves that can stand against fast players, surprisingly enough isn't AAK and BB.

I would like to see these changes:
Leixia:
-Another BE because as of now she only has two, one of which is significantly better than the other in my opinion
-A better 1k or making 22k 1k

Viola:
-Either reverted back before the patch or a nerf to combo potential

Raphael:
-Buff him in some areas

And not sure if it has been discussed but removal of Just Guard (not a character buff/nerf just don't like it)

I don't want a buffed Aeon clone

I see your point but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be the case. Raph's hypothetical 6A would have nowhere near the the range Aeon's 66A has, and besides, Raph's 33A used to be his 3A in SC2. It wouldn't be bad to return it as 6A.

Would Raph really be Raph if he had strong horizontals? I think it'd be cooler if his pokes had ridiculous frames, like if had Mitsu's 6B8 that had SCIV Raph 6B animation that did crazy damage. Come to think of it that's probably why I played Mitsu early on, he's like a better Raphael. Raph 3B and FC 3B should be safe, 1A should do 16 damage or fix the range, standing 2K should be 14 damage like his crouching kick, not 12.

He's got Leixia syndrome with the guard crushing, too. Why does he do high guard damage with a little rapier? Instead his little pokey stabs should do crazy damage, and not just on CH.

In general, Raph should be way safer and higher damaging across the board to make up for his weak mixup, weak step kill, weak stage control, and weak ringout and wall damage. Some kind of safe evades or special movement transitions would fit a fencer's style, too.

Would Raph really be Raph if he had strong horizontals?
Good point. By design he a character with intended flaws and strengths (definately not a jack-of-all-trades) I'm willing to accept that he'll always be bottom tier in terms of step-kill (among other things). His strengths never make up for his flaws though, and I find it hard for anyone to argue the case. His toolbox of decent vertical attacks are actually middle-of-the-pack compared to quite a few other characters (maybe mitsu is just a really high standard).

Why does he do high guard damage with a little rapier? .
Here's the funny thing: Piercing weapons logically are the best to penetrate armor. Obviously its a slippery slope if applying real world physics to a game where people shrug off getting stabbed in the face. Its probably because Raph is the most vertical-attack dependent character.

In general, Raph should be way safer and higher damaging across the board to make up for his weak mixup, weak step kill, weak stage control, and weak ringout and wall damage. Some kind of safe evades or special movement transitions would fit a fencer's style, too.
That would make me very happy.
I would like to see Raph as a character that is hard to lock-down/frame trap (with early aGI/evades). This would be balanced out considering how little lock-down/jailing ability/momentum Raph himself offers: His stance options are reliably simple to evade, which his attacks that don't lead to stance are often negative even on hit.

B+K activating on frame 2 instead of frame 10 (comparable to cervantes' aGI)
44B being safer (-12 instead of -16. )
4A+B causing a parry stagger instead of a repel stagger (to avoid whiffing issues)
Less delay in SE stance (shave a few frames) before SE attacks come out. It is highly telegraphed since its a stance accessible only after another stance.
Prep4 outside of the aGI (even if you make the opponent whiff due to the backstep) is actually disadvantageous to Raph due to the slow prep transition. Normally, even prepBB after prep4 (causing a whiff) is too slow to punish whiffs. I have no idea how to make this better without a large overhaul of prep4.

Last edited:
Would Raph really be Raph if he had strong horizontals

I am perfectly aware of this and I would say no if that was the case. His horizontals should stay low damage but need a slight upgrade in frames/stun properties. If his current horizontals were given to other characters, they would look extremely horrible. I personally just don't like Raph's 6A series being short range and high. I've always wanted his 6A to be a mid range mid horizontal but being unsafe with pushback.

He's got Leixia syndrome with the guard crushing, too.

Wuht already answered this but I feel his guard crush potential compensates for his other weaknesses well.

I concur and wuht offered good points as well. He probably could get some of his old RO potential back without changing his style too much.

B+K activating on frame 2 instead of frame 10 (comparable to cervantes' aGI)
44B being safer (-12 instead of -16. )
4A+B causing a parry stagger instead of a repel stagger (to avoid whiffing issues)
Less delay in SE stance (shave a few frames) before SE attacks come out. It is highly telegraphed since its a stance accessible only after another stance.
Prep4 outside of the aGI (even if you make the opponent whiff due to the backstep) is actually disadvantageous to Raph due to the slow prep transition. Normally, even prepBB after prep4 (causing a whiff) is too slow to punish whiffs. I have no idea how to make this better without a large overhaul of prep4.

A HUGE proposal is here. I agree with the first three but how about giving his other GIs bigger active windows? Raph needs reverse mixups to land his best damage.

You mentioned that you wanted Prep to have one evasive action. Let Prep 4 GI all verticals but also have TC frames (similar to SC4 44B) and NOT reenter Prep. The options after Prep 4 are B (cranial scraper AT), A (low), or nothing (Raph goes back to neutral but cannot guard until parry animation is over...carries some risk).

I am willing to move Shadow Evade to 214 with the same three followup options, thus opening Prep 2 for new attacks. Note that I am willing to give up his old retreat step if Raph can retreat more safely from Prep. 214 SE can last around 20 frames since it is accessible from neutral.

Last edited:
I agree. Some of his attacks do so much damage for me. Like 236K, 11A and 11B. Other than those attacks in particular, I think his damage is okay.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTK
All characters

Pat: 2 small nerfes: meter gain and CE RO range
Zwei: needs a buff for his punishment game and some other small buffs
Leixia: 3B damage buff, maybe some other small damage buffs
Natsu: combo damage nerf, speed nerf on some moves
Raph: 6BB and 4B/4A should be mids, overall damage buff (especially on horizontals), CE should RO
Ezio: ok as he is, maybe give him one reliable method for forward ROs
Viola: ban or nerf her damage output drastically
Pyyrha: make some of her safe moves punishable on block
Sieg: seems ok to me
Hilde: never played her, don't know, she needs some small buffs i would say
Xiba: give him better punishment options
Ivy: same as Hilde
Cervy: small damage nerf on his punishers
Aeon: fix his CE and some whiffing issues
Night: ok
Tira: nerf gloomy and buff jolly a bit, she wouldn't be so dependent on her gloomy stance
Mitsu: nerf some of his frames and small damage nerf
Maxi: ok
Yoshi: ok, a useful BE wouldn't hurt though
Asta: Combo damage nerf with 22B BE
Voldo: ok, maybe a small damage buff on his stepkillers
Alpha: combo damage nerf, twister should be a few frames slower and doesn't combo into itself
Omega: ok, maybe her CE should be slower (i15 or so)
Algol: combo damage nerf with his BEs
Kilik/Edge: Ezio and Algol mimics are possible

No concept of balance. You wanna nerf natsu combo damage? Her non combo damage isn't all that great barring 66b. Her open field combo damage isn't all that great either. She gets good wall damage.

Back