What do you like about each SC game?

Stryker

[10] Knight
I don't want to create a threat about general opinions; I was practicing against Cass in SCIV and for the first time I realize what I like about all the SC games I played before... and that help me to understand why I feel so disappointed with SCIV.

SC1 (DC/360)
This game was full of emotions; everybody wants to play this and be competitive, while having so much fun! But for me these are the real reasons:

• Every character was insanely strong! You have to play this game very careful cause one mistake can send you directly to oblivion!

• Every player could play this game in his/her only way! Characters were builded in a way that you can make your own character(is not related to custom character feature) and let the others feel the difference when you compare your "character" with another player for the same "character".

• Fun modes to help learn more characters and have fun while learning to play alone or with company( Team Battle, Survival and the Training Mode).

SC2(Multi Console)
This game is the top SC ever; Tekken 4 and SF3 were a failure and top players from those games learn to play this awesome SC title. For me these are the reasons that make SC2 a excellent game:

• Almost every character was insanely strong! You have to play this game very careful cause one mistake can send you directly to oblivion!

• Every player could play this game in his/her only way! Characters were builded in a way that you can make your own character(is not related to custom character feature) and let the others feel the difference when you compare your "character" with another player for the same "character".

• Fun modes to help learn more characters and have fun while learning to play alone or with company( Character Creation, Missions Mode; Time Attack; Survival Battle; "Destined Battle";"Conquest Mode"; "Weapon Master Mode").

SC3(PS2)
This game was good until people find that their favorite characters were nerfed or changed in some way(Example: Talim); also Sophitia and X were insanely strong; when japanese and european version came out we begin to experience some balancing changes; also G22 was banned(another bug similar to G2 from SC2), but I really like this game for these reasons:

• Every character was insanely strong! You have to play this game very careful cause one mistake can send you directly to oblivion!

• Fun modes to help learn more characters and have fun while learning to play alone or with company( Missions Mode and World Tournament for example).

As you maybe read, I like the same things about each game; and exactly in those 3 things SCIV lacks of... now SCV is starting to really disappoint me with the decision to cut the original roster. I'm very sad right now... I hope something change from here to EVO.

Hm... I'll keep it short. I could write a whole book about this, but I don't feel like writing much more today than I have already done in the Taki Jr Thread.

SE: It was just awesome. IDK you guys, but to me the Edge Master opening was just outstanding, like everything else in the game. And who didn't love the music?

SC: Perfect in every way. The graphics, the gameplay, the characters, the music, it was just plain perfect. Not tekken 6, not Virtua Fighter 5, not even Street Fighter 2 has reached the level of perfection of this game. This was the first I ever played in the series, I remember that blurry man with a bison on his head in that kick ass arcade cabinet.

SCII: How do you improve something perfect? Ask Namco, this game never gets old. You can play it for seven years and still find it fun. And that's comming from me, the one who NEVER plays the same game after completing it.

SCIII: I can't comment much in this one since I never really had it, but I played it in the house of my friend. It was really cool, but I never got deeper than VS.

SC Legends: I'm still wondering where Hwang and Rock are, but this game is really good. Could it be better? hell yea. Is it repetitive? hell yea. But regardless of that, it was really good. It's just a different angle, which BTW I would like to see more as a complementary mode in further games of the series.

SCIV: This one's the one where I started playing seriously. I first was confused and disappointed, but then I started making some CaS stuff and then came online. I realized how much I sucked and how much better I could be. The I started lookng in the internet and I ended up here... :)

In general -the series-, I like that it's easy to play and intuitive. Thanks to it's easy to learn/hard to master gameplay a complete noob to fighting games can actually win, and it has a lot of depth behind it. Music and art in general are very well done, graphics are beast and in general the games are of great quality. I like that you can play it in a Party with people of different ages and they will all enjoy. It's really hard to put it in words.

I really have to thank Namco. They made Pacman, Galaga, Tekken, Star Fox Assault, SoulCalibur and several more classics. Without you, fighting games would have died in the early 2000's. Without you, we might not even have had games in RGB until the 90's... There's just so much I could writte in this paragraph... NAMCO FOREVER BITCHES!!!

Soul Edge: Best soundtrack of the series, also the best intro movie I've ever seen. Solid gameplay too. I love some of SE's game mechanics. The different stats each weapon had, weapons clashing against each other, being disarmed... it felt a lot more.... well realistic, than the SC games. Plus it introduced my two mains: Seong Mina and Hwang. Oh, and Edge Master Mode kills all other SC story mode.

Soul Calibur: Introduced the 8wayrun! The stages in this game are just gorgeous. The backgrounds are amazing, period. No fantasy stage BS. SC also takes credit for its fanservice, as it has a truckload of artwork, and it also introduced all that good stuff like weapon demos, battle theater and the character bios.

Soul Calibur II: I still consider SC II the best in gameplay. Maybe not later on at a competitive level, but in game, it is easily my favorite. Weapon Master Mode is actually really fun, and all the other game modes are as satisfying as ever. Not to mention SC II had so many weapons to unlock for each character. It's near perfection.

Soulcalibur III: SC III takes credit for having a lot of replay value. There's tons of stuff to unlock. It also has a nifty tutorial mode, the fun Chronicles of the Sword, a much better than SCIV story mode, and an also better than SCIV CAS system.

Soulcalibur IV: Hmm, it looks gorgeous. Oh, and it has online. CAS leaves a bit to be desired, but it does eat up play time.

SE/SC1: Only barely played those so I couldn't say much.

SC2: Weapon master mode. Best version of Ivy. Best music in the series. It also generally amazed me just how good the game animated. Team battle mode.

SC3: Cassandra got drastically improved and became my new main character. All the various bonus modes (even though many of them weren't great). CAS fighting styles (they didn't feel complete, but they were still fun to mess with). Tutorial mode.

SC4: Graphics (I'd say it's still one of the best looking games of this generation). More freedom with CAS (especially the ability to edit costumes for the normal roster).

SC:BD: The quick match mode (I can't remember its exact name, but it's the best singleplayer mode in the series just for jumping into a quick match against the AI). The silly story in the gauntlet mode (though I absolutely despise the gameplay in that mode).

All I really liked was Cassandra, just her. I liked all the rest in general, but if it wasn´t for Cass, it wouldn´t had been the same.

Yeah, I know she wasn´t in SC, but that game was like the rest, I liked it in general, it was very nice.

SE/SB: Opening video, the awesome/classic roster (w/ Hwang and Li Long), the stages, wicked evil boss.. just the feeling of the game.

SC: Never played it, but gameplay and new characters seems good to me.

SCII: New characters, Edgemaster mode, stages and ofc the gameplay (especially the speed of it)

SCIII: Story mode (<3), new characters, CotS, all the unlockbles, game design, coloring/creating of characters, amazig details in stages, Taki's amazing mask. :P

SCIV: Haven't played it. Don't like it very much, either.

SC2 - Talim Voice /Costume (1) / Asteroth Voice / Yoshimitsu voice /Cervantes Voice/Weapon Master / Assassin / Vs. Screen animation

SC3 - /Content / Costumes / Nightmare's Voice / Stages / No Guests / Rock voice /Bosses / Cassandra's attitude and stage /Fastest gameplay (should be kept)/Best Storymode.

SC4 -Talim Costume (1 )/ Battle Damaged outfits / Tira Costume (1) / Cervantes /Costume(1)/Amy/ Critical Finishers....not very much to like in SC4.

SC2-Wall jumping, feels like there's more freedom though a little too much.
SC3-More guaranteed moves on CH. Like Cervy's CHBBB.
SC4-Soul Gauge.

SC1 - Everything. The best entry along with SC3.
SC2 -Huge amount of replay value, was extremely fun to play with friends. But I never bothered to take it seriously.
SC3 - The balance between fast pacing and complexity. Stun Combos, Just Impacts, amount of stages, rerecorded SC1 music (yeah, I admit I'm biased on this one. :P)
SC4 - Soul Gauge. Some characters are better balanced compared to SC3.

I like how it grows more and more defensive, less and less based on mid-games and how they have the balls to cut down moves in order to achieve balance and avoid redundant stuff. SC evolution is precisely the opposite of Tekken, and I hate Tekken's evolution.

Each new game feels disappointing at first, because they nerf stuff. But later you realize why they nerfed those things and enjoy the changes, cause you know it's for the sake of balance and variety. It may sound contradictory that you may increase variety by removing stuff, but that's how it happens. You may remove just that one overpowered move that made the others useless, and then all the others will have their purpose. For instance, how they removed the jump delay attacks, from Soul Calibur 3 to Soul Calibur 4.

Back