What made you choose your main?

In all the fighting games I've ever played, I always choose slower, harder hitting characters. I'm a patient player who waits for his opening. There is some exception, if they appeal to me enough I may choose a faster character.

My sc2 mains: Nightmare, Necrid

My sc3 mains: Nightmare, Siegfried, Astaroth, Ivy, Hwang, Cassandra, Hualin (just for Lolz)

My sc4 mains: Nightmare, Siegfried, Astaroth, Cassandra

My sc5 mains: Nightmare, Siegfried, Astaroth

I don't play any of the sisters now because none of them are anywhere close to Cassandra. Sc3 Ivy was the only iteration if her that I liked. In sc4 she was too complicated, in sc5 she's too simple (no stances? really namco?)

Characters that I miss: Necrid, Hwang, Cassandra.

I'm the type of player who puts time into his character and mastering them.

My SC4 mains: Yoshimitsu, Siegfried, and Cervantes. I wanted to main Setsuka but i couldn't get those just frames attacks so i dropped her

My SC5 mains: Patsuka, ZWEI, and Cervantes. I spend so much time with patsuka that i went back to soul calibur 4 and played setsuka to see how much i progressed and sure enough i can get the just frames right.

also there arent many patsuka players online

I've played Mitsu since Soul Edge, and always liked Sieg. I played Mitsu and Night equally in SCII, and liked Nightmare a bit more, when Sieg and Night split in SCIII I leaned toward Sieg, and really disliked Night's movesets, but Sieg also was cluncky to me and played him little. same in SCIV.

In SCV Mitsu feels a little awkward to me, I'm not liking him as much as I did in the past games, so I'm using Nightmare which now feels really fun to use, while Sieg is too slow for my likings.

So I'm maining Nightmare and getting acquainted with Mitsu on the side.

In Soul Edge I picked Seong Mi-na. Why? Because she was easy on the eyes and had a damn big weapon. A horse-cutting blade! You can't mess with that! I was young, and large weapon seemed pretty solid to me. And she was cuter than the zwei wielding characters.

Soul Calibur I and II I stuck with her. Turns out I liked the play-style and was just used to the matchups. Guard Impacts made up for my lack of ability up close and I did pretty well.

Soul Calibur III didn't feel the same, so I shopped around. Cassandra clicked with me and just seemed broken. Tira was fun, as was Ivy. I'd consider Cassandra my main there though I really put work into Tira.

Soul Calibur IV gave me Mi-na back and changed Cassy again, so I went back to my normal. Tira got bipolar and I just couldn't use her anymore in the way I wanted to. I didn't play IV too much, though.

Soul Calibur V got rid of the Koreanz, so I naturally tried out Xiba first. He seemed easy, but I didn't enjoy winning with him and I hated his personality. My good friend and sparring buddy thought I'd be all over Viola from day 1, so I tried her out. Never looked back. I love the orb.

Viola from day one. Played Mitsu through the series until 5 when I tried him out for about five seconds and thought "boring". Faced Viola in Story Mode and was immediately intrigued. Tried her and loved her. Her style is mental, elegant, complicated and unrelenting. Almost the opposite of all my years of experience playing Mitsu. I welcome this dawning of a new era.

Lizardman in every game, because I am a reptile-lover. Not in that way. Sadly, my favorite design remains his original SC incarnation. All these horns and frills and feathers and junk are sooo unnecessary.

I did something different in IV, though: I mained Rock. And I lurrved him! His attitude, his sheer burly manliness, his ability to toss my enemies about the stage like so many sacks of meat and bones. Perfect. Yeah, he sucked in high-level play, but I didn't care. Guy was boss. As soon as he walks on stage you know you're in for a ride. A ride on the MAN-MOBILE, up a mountain and down the other side on a roller coaster of AWESOMENESS. And possibly tears, if you don't know how to break throws. And he sits on his enemies. As an attack. THAT BREAKS GUARD. Hell. Fucking. Yes.

I could go on about my subs, but that's not what this thread is about. I miss Rock. I want him back (or Bangoo, assuming he's as throw-heavy as his father). But I guess I can contend with (the heavily nerfed) Aeon in the meantime.

I liked Xianghua's agility and the way her fighting style incorporated it for fast and evasive attacks. Rushdown has always clicked well with me; I play Tsubaki in BB and she's a similar character. Also, she was cute as a button. I naturally moved on to Leixia in SCV, but she's not as cute as her mom; she's just uppity and annoying. Good thing there's CaS to make someone cuter than her (and even X).

In SC3 I mained Ivy, because she was really cool (sword-chain? damn, that's as cool as it can get) and difficult (I like mastering difficult things).
In SC4, I got bored of Ivy and picked up Siegfried, whose stance game I really enjoyed. After 2 years I think, I decided to main Talim. Why? She was bottom tier and I felt that she did not deserve it. I mastered her to the point where no other Talim player could beat me and it was a lot of fun to play against top tier characters and overwhelm them with my 'worthless' Talim.
In SC5, well, firstly I am so sad that Talim is gone. Tried going back to Sieg, but he is no longer the old good Sieg. I tried Natsu, but was disencouraged by countless noobs spamming bombs online. So, Viola. She is super unique, was probably a low tier by the time I decided to main her and takes a lot of skill to play. Buffs in last patch made me very happy :)

Nightmare because his gameplay design suits my style of play and he's just overall fun to play with. It's just a bonus that his character design and 1P/2P are awesome. Also, being called a tier-whore/scrub for using Nightmare will never stop being funny :')

Also, being called a tier-whore/scrub for using Nightmare will never stop being funny :')
I just call you a son of a bitch. Every round. Every landed attack. My wife thinks I'm getting tourette's. That's a lot of "son of a bitches". You make me reconsider my character choice. Just for the split second the round lasts.

I just call you a son of a bitch. Every round. Every landed attack. My wife thinks I'm getting tourette's. That's a lot of "son of a bitches". You make me reconsider my character choice. Just for the split second the round lasts.
Lol, pleasant....IIRC, you main Viola? Imo that match-up is pretty nice for Mare so no worries.

I actually just started looking into Viola yesterday and I'm liking her overall playstyle as well. Maybe we can mess around and play some mirrors? I feel like I need some foundation for her cus I'm kinda lost atm haha.

Back