What made you want to play Soulcalibur offline?

Offline really shows your true skill. The only human competition I ever had was online when I was living in Texas for that year. Although online was cool, but I felt my wins were just "null and void" (kAb). The SC scene was pretty much dead down there. So when I returned to Southern California, more people became aware me and complimented my skill level. I ran into Zane and he highly encouraged me to attend SCR 2014. I did so and I placed 4th for my first major. Then I participated in a couple local tournaments which then led to me enjoying the offline scene even more. Again Zane and a good number of my other peers wanted to see me at Evo 2014. I showed up and placed 5th for my second major tournament. Everyday I try to improve myself and it seems that it has been working. I will continue to grow and learn with 8WR.

When I felt like I've hit a plateau when playing so much online, I've decided to start getting to know better Xiba players like AlexJ and Party Wolf. Then I got to know Zane and Blue a bit more and played some offline matches... Minus blue... I only played like two games against him at NCR

Everyone I played online back in early '00s were playing on a SNES match making program called zbattle. It had pretty good netcode and GGPO was actually based off of the zsnes matchmaking side of that. A few of my friends on the forums for it and the client itself helped me realize the depth of the games I was playing and encouraged me to take my game offline.The most vivid moment was when a very well known Super Turbo player, DGV, called me out a bit and said what I was doing wouldn't work offline. This made me start thinking about playing people near me since I didn't even really think about people playing these games offline since I was from a town of 2,000 with no competitive scene at all really. A little after that I managed to make my first offline tournament and it's been like that ever since with several different games.

Shoutouts to Bentleet too. Played all sorts of stuff together back then and realized he was a Calibur player when I swapped to this scene.

Last edited:
What made me want to play SoulCalibur offline? Easy question... The CAS feature! I create, take a picture and I hang it on my wall :)

upload_2015-2-19_23-30-26.jpeg

No but seriously. I've always wondered how it would be if I were to enter an offline tourney to meet up with players who likely have the same experiences that I do when playing online. I've made friends with some of those online players and I've actually met them in person for the first time. TANHAUSSER1 was REALLY COOL and so was Ragnorak. If I'm going by the wrong expectations of this thread, then I would have to say that playing offline is exactly how I started. Back in my day, that was pretty much all there was. I remember I was always the one taking over the game by winning all of the time and had my buddies complain at me by saying "Give someone else a turn!" Those were good times. Then I got older, friends were going away and now I'm all that's left out of ALL of them. If there was one more reason why I would want to play SoulCalibur offline, it comes in one word. Lag.

Back