Which Character(s) Do You Think is/are Overrated/Underrated?

This old guy sitting in Astral Chaos can't agree more....
Ap5SqfI.jpg

I might get a megaton of flak for saying this, but...

I say Talim is by far and beyond the series' most overrated character.

I don't hate Talim, but I would be lying if I said I didn't hear people gush about her so much to the point where I'm getting sick of it...

To be honest, I am quite flustered to see that she has dominated the popularity poll when there are a slew of better written and more interesting characters than her.

Like Taki for example. I was tempted to place Taki in the overrated camp for nearly the same reasons as Talim, but then I came to appreciate how involved she is in the story's main conflict. How did she find out that Soul Calibur was as dangerous as Soul Edge? She witnessed the battle between Siegfried and Nightmare at Lost Cathedral, one that was so fierce that it destroyed the entire place and Taki barely escaped with her life. How did Talim figure it out? She saw it in some visions...

That, and Talim is not very good from a game-play standpoint. With short range, low damage, slow attacks, and easily interruptible stances, she has a low tier form with more style than substance. Mastering is her is not worth the effort due to very low returns.

Should Talim ever return in a future game, not only will she have a low usage percentage due to players having difficultly winning with her, but she will also have a dreadful W/L ratio.

Last edited:
I had no idea Talim was as popular as she is since I never really hear people talk about her. I'm guessing Namco was just as shocked seeing as how she was left out of the last game. Anyway if they do bring her back there's no reason to assume she'd be a low tier character again just because she was before. They can always make improvements you know.

I would say Yunsung is the most overrated. Never saw him as anything but a rip off of Hwang and honestly I almost like Assassin better because at least he isn't so immature and annoying like Yunsung is.

I had no idea Talim was as popular as she is since I never really hear people talk about her. I'm guessing Namco was just as shocked seeing as how she was left out of the last game. Anyway if they do bring her back there's no reason to assume she'd be a low tier character again just because she was before. They can always make improvements you know.

Talim's Tier Placement Question (http://8wayrun.com/threads/talims-tier-placement-question.763/#post-55250)
Here are Talim's Game-Play flaws, with more elaboration...

I would say Yunsung is the most overrated. Never saw him as anything but a rip off of Hwang and honestly I almost like Assassin better because at least he isn't so immature and annoying like Yunsung is.

I find it sad that people prefer a faceless mook over a fully-fledged character...

What the hell are you talking about? I have yet to meet a single person who prefers Yun-seong over Hwang. Hell, Yun (SC2 specifically) is one of my favorite characters in the entire series and I'd still take Hwang over him any day.

Hey guys, I'm new here but thought I'd comment, heh.:-p One character I think is underrated is seung-mina. I read that she was one of the worst characters to use in SC4 which I still play, and I once scoffed at the idea of using her, but one day I took an hour to try her moveset, and I mastered it and began to really like her! She doesn't get a lot of love, and that's coming from a Sophitia and Amy fanboy.:sc4sop1::sc4amy1:

I agree.
I've recently gotten back into playing SC4 as well as SC5. And i've added Mina to my team this time.
Sure she's not the strongest character, but she's still a lot of fun & i enjoy using her a lot.
The stronger the character you use doesn't necessarily mean the more fun you'll get, imo.

I know why she's been low tier the last few games but that doesn't mean she'll have the same problems in the next one other than having very short range of course. Not much they can do about that with her being so short and having small weapons.

I find it sad that people prefer a faceless mook over a fully-fledged character...

I don't see either of them as fully fledged characters. They're both bad Hwang knock offs to me. Anyway it's not that I like Assassin but I like him better than Yunsung because at least he doesn't have such an annoying personality.

@Katsu I didn't think anyone liked him either but he was in the top 15 in Namco's survey they did a few months ago.

Underrated (since he's pretty low in the SC Poll): I think Patroklos is one of the most interesting Character in the last SC games, personally i think he has great design and personality, and a very cool and interesting playstyle as well, i mean he just has everything that make a SC character great and iconic, also he's the Son of Sophitia so that's another + for me. Now as being a main Character in the game, now that's a bit too much imo lol

Yun Seung: Not sure how he's seen in general, but for me he's a very interesting character since always, has a lot of kicking moves and such compare to the other characters, i mean i'm just a fan of this approach, also the character himself is great too, funny guy that don't take things too seriously, his SC3 portrait speaks for itself :

hqdefault.jpg

Underrated (since he's pretty low in the SC Poll): I think Patroklos is one of the most interesting Character in the last SC games, personally i think he has great design and personality, and a very cool and interesting playstyle as well, i mean he just has everything that make a SC character great and iconic, also he's the Son of Sophitia so that's another + for me. Now as being a main Character in the game, now that's a bit too much imo lol

Yun Seung: Not sure how he's seen in general, but for me he's a very interesting character since always, has a lot of kicking moves and such compare to the other characters, i mean i'm just a fan of this approach, also the character himself is great too, funny guy that don't take things too seriously, his SC3 portrait speaks for itself :

hqdefault.jpg

I second your opinion on Patroklos.

Some people do not like Yun-Seong, prefer Hwang. I am rather neutral on these characters.

Back