Yoda Legality Discussion. .hmmmm

yo man if vader was a giant black knight he'd be super duper alright!, . and instead of a lightsaber he used his giant black penis. .

jink. .idk. . you cant do fun doom combo with hilde i guess?

@MAILBOXARSON99- I don't get it. Besides his "advantage," what makes him overpowered and not bottom tier?

Have you ever seen Yoda in the hands of someone with skill? He has some really nice punishers, and many of the other characters' best punishers don't always work on him. Launchers don't work properly on him, so about half the game's combos aren't valid against him. His poor grapple strength has been cited as a weakness, but his 28B+G command grapple can get up to 76 damage, which is more damage than Astaroth's back grapple. His combos are certainly decent, with his force meter not being much of a problem, as not all of his combos use the force; besides, the force meter goes back up pretty fast.

What nice punishers? O.o and his command throw can be broken easily during those 10/11 hits..if i remember correctly..

6B is a really good punisher. . .and his command grab sucks once you know how to break out of it.. imo

The saddest thing is I've seen people (like DINO) claim that if Yoda was only "a little asian old man", they wouldn't even mind him.

Seriously, what the fuck? Go back to Smashboards with that bullshit, it's much more fitting there than here.

That was my accusation. I don't remember DINO, or anyone else of note admitting to it, but it wouldn't surprise me either.

What nice punishers? O.o and his command throw can be broken easily during those 10/11 hits..if i remember correctly..

It gets broken instantly every time. It's pathetic. Your opponent would have to not touch their controller the entire time, while you churn your stick furiously. That's the only way you'd get every hit. Even someone who generally gives up for a second and just watches throws happen would say "what the fuck" after getting bopped a couple times, mash a little, and that instantly breaks it.

Even someone who generally gives up for a second and just watches throws happen would say "what the fuck" after getting bopped a couple times, mash a little, and that instantly breaks it.

I would like to add that gamers who use joysticks have this inherent habit of twiddling with their sticks or practicing inputs while getting thrown/KO animation/waiting for the round to start etc.etc.etc.
Its like this unwritten law that you MUSTN'T keep still while waiting for stuff to load.
Its a habit I don't see in most pad users.
But in each and every person with a joystick.

My point being...

That's how I found out how to break the throw.

XD

yo man if vader was a giant black knight he'd be super duper alright!, . and instead of a lightsaber he used his giant black penis. .

jink. .idk. . you cant do fun doom combo with hilde i guess?

I know how, but haven't practiced it enough. I fell in love with Hilde before the doom combo was discovered, by the way. But red hair and ring outs makes a very sexy combination.

Have you ever seen Yoda in the hands of someone with skill? He has some really nice punishers, and many of the other characters' best punishers don't always work on him. Launchers don't work properly on him, so about half the game's combos aren't valid against him. His poor grapple strength has been cited as a weakness, but his 28B+G command grapple can get up to 76 damage, which is more damage than Astaroth's back grapple. His combos are certainly decent, with his force meter not being much of a problem, as not all of his combos use the force; besides, the force meter goes back up pretty fast.

Wrong in everything you just said

Not many people see a good yoda if at all,

- Even when I play i still incounter problems, by no means is yoda overpowered.

-Alot of combos are shut down by him, but their are different combos that work well against him, Even the doom cancel even tho it can't be done on yoda you can get shorter version on yoda and still make combos with Hilde against yoda.

-His Command through is easily breakable they just have to mash a button.

-His combos don't build much damage at all, you have to work for damage,

- and his Force gauge is a problem it's smaller than both Vader's and SK's and if you read my posts on the Force Counts(As i work with) Yoda is fairly limited in terms of keeping up consisted Force Cancels.

-Combos that don't use force, most aren't even gauranted against certain techs example(1k,1k,1A 'it's tech-able back depending on Character, another example is 3B,6B+K,B, which is actually a combo and against Lizardman, lizzy can techout of it, i'm aware with testing i've found another character it doesn't work on but i'm not sure atm gotta look back at my notes')

-Punishing with yoda is even a problem, sure 6B is good but it's easily GI-able, or the opponent can just duck and it wont' touch at all, and some people like Nightmare has a good setup for this because they can duck under and do a Whilerising ,aB , it's a simple combo that works against yoda and does decent damage and with the JF it gets some more points or they have another choice Nightmare can do 2B+G and get Plus Frames for another quick attack for if they try to attack, even tho it doesn't grab it adds frames for NM same with Sieg.

- Almost all of yoda's strings are interuptable and/or unsafe, such as 236KKB, sure you can cancel the 236K and try to mix up with a different attack BUT, anything besides KKB can be interupted from execution even 236KKB can be interupted from execution with space.

In Conclusion

sooooooo In conclusion your reasons are null & Void, Anything else you would like to make an excuse for?
"Oh he can't be grabbed"

- You depend on Grabs to win? Sooo sad.

mmmmmm, "Fight with honor!" should not be Hilde's taunt...
So why isn't Yoda legal yet??? He's mild to beat at the most... esp. w/ ASTA!!!

6B is a really good punisher. . .and his command grab sucks once you know how to break out of it.. imo

i guess it's good....but i would love 6B more if it didn't have that rolling effect for the opponent i mean come on yoda can barely even keep up...though i guess it's a an ok set up for 66B, 6B+K, B for the unsuspecting opponents lol

i guess it's good....but i would love 6B more if it didn't have that rolling effect for the opponent i mean come on yoda can barely even keep up...though i guess it's a an ok set up for 66B, 6B+K, B for the unsuspecting opponents lol

After 6B the 66B,6B+k,B can be stepped because of the range, 66B doesn't help much at all getting in like that Rolling into a Block is better.

my thoughts on this subject from another thread..

keep yoda banned, despite the fact that he is indisputably the worst character in the game, for the following reasons.

there is a much smaller move list available for fighting him. this leads to matches being very homogeneous, and homogeneous matches are uninteresting for spectators. if we are trying to garner interest in tournaments and competitive play then we need to do what we can to keep matches interesting.

yoda is not only a terribly weak character, yoda is a terribly designed character as well. in the event that there is ever a sc5 i do not want to see another character that has yodaesque immunities in it. the best way to avoid seeing a yoda mark 2, is to show in no uncertain terms how much we hated his guts the first time around.

banning yoda is doing new players a favor. since yoda is not merely bad but actually orders of magnitude worse than any other character, if yoda is banned then new players wont pick him in tournaments and thus they will not get absolutely destroyed because he can never win anything.

banning yoda is doing a favor for other players too. playing against yoda is boring. really boring. if he is banned then maybe i wont see him as often.

in conclusion, yoda is a negative influence on the game. if the mythical patch 1.04 deleted the little green goblin from the game would you mourn his loss?

congrats on being original and bringing new insight into the discussion. . .

my thoughts on this subject from another thread..

keep yoda banned, despite the fact that he is indisputably the worst character in the game, for the following reasons.

there is a much smaller move list available for fighting him. this leads to matches being very homogeneous, and homogeneous matches are uninteresting for spectators. if we are trying to garner interest in tournaments and competitive play then we need to do what we can to keep matches interesting.

yoda is not only a terribly weak character, yoda is a terribly designed character as well. in the event that there is ever a sc5 i do not want to see another character that has yodaesque immunities in it. the best way to avoid seeing a yoda mark 2, is to show in no uncertain terms how much we hated his guts the first time around.

banning yoda is doing new players a favor. since yoda is not merely bad but actually orders of magnitude worse than any other character, if yoda is banned then new players wont pick him in tournaments and thus they will not get absolutely destroyed because he can never win anything.

banning yoda is doing a favor for other players too. playing against yoda is boring. really boring. if he is banned then maybe i wont see him as often.

in conclusion, yoda is a negative influence on the game. if the mythical patch 1.04 deleted the little green goblin from the game would you mourn his loss?

1. Yoda is the worst character, so?
2. You don't see him often thank you.
3. Yoda isn't a negative influence, he's just a little green asian, and they are never negative.
4. I play yoda and i would beat you quite easily.

5......... Homogeneous? Maaan....STFU and GTFO

It's boring playing him in your oppinion if you don't want to play him then forfeit the match and be a pussy plain and simple thank you, make sure you visit Http://F-you.com and i'm sorry for any inconvience =), for a repeat of this message read my signature.

Homogenous...what? That's about the worst excuse I've ever heard for the Yoda ban. So someone picks Yoda and they give you a hard time because oh noes, I can't use highs or throws. So you start using verticals and actually hit the little bugger. What should the Yoda player do? I don't know, try not to get hit by verts? Then, oh my! It becomes a fight again.

Aside from cost, the only reason that I find remotely sensible in this discussion, what else do people have on him?

Can anyone. . .seriously list match-ups were yoda just destroys characters because their highs whiff sometimes, or their grabs don't work?

The only two characters were this even seem to affect the match is Yoda vs. Rock/Vader. . .

Do we really want to keep a character banned because. . we don't like him?

Yo, this is DancingFighterG. Ladies and Gentleman, let me explain why we decided on why Yoda should be ban, at least for now, for the national event. Fighting games in general must a have general guidelines that all characters must follow. In the case of the 3D world or most fighting games throwing your opponent is a universal technique that all characters in Soul Calibur share. Yoda breaks that universal rule. Yes, people have stated arguements that though he cannot be throw he has these list of weaknesses but you must understand one simple thing. In terms of competition does he play on the same level as everyone else. Take away the idea that he is, by some people standards, a weak character or he cost because that is irrevelant. The fact that he cannot be throw or crouch thrown disrupts the universal balance to the game and tournament play. Every character in the game has to deal with the mid-high mix but yoda breaks that rule thus why we banned him from the national event. Now if a patch came out making him AT LEAST crouch throwable then I would say unbane him because then at least some of the cast can throw him. This would simple be a character matchup issue but right now this is not the case.

Overall our decision to ban Yoda was based the basic universal rules of Soul Calibur as it applies to tournament play. Are job is to make sure that the rules and gameplay is as balance as possible so that everyone is relatively playing by the same rules. Until a patch is put out to make Yoda throwable I think he should stay ban.

Yo, this is DancingFighterG. Ladies and Gentleman, let me explain why we decided on why Yoda should be ban, at least for now, for the national event. Fighting games in general must a have general guidelines that all characters must follow. In the case of the 3D world or most fighting games throwing your opponent is a universal technique that all characters in Soul Calibur share. Yoda breaks that universal rule. Yes, people have stated arguements that though he cannot be throw he has these list of weaknesses but you must understand one simple thing. In terms of competition does he play on the same level as everyone else. Take away the idea that he is, by some people standards, a weak character or he cost because that is irrevelant. The fact that he cannot be throw or crouch thrown disrupts the universal balance to the game and tournament play. Every character in the game has to deal with the mid-high mix but yoda breaks that rule thus why we banned him from the national event. Now if a patch came out making him AT LEAST crouch throwable then I would say unbane him because then at least some of the cast can throw him. This would simple be a character matchup issue but right now this is not the case.

Overall our decision to ban Yoda was based the basic universal rules of Soul Calibur as it applies to tournament play. Are job is to make sure that the rules and gameplay is as balance as possible so that everyone is relatively playing by the same rules. Until a patch is put out to make Yoda throwable I think he should stay ban.

1. OUR? it has all ready been settled that you made the decision on your own

2. because yoda doesn't have to deal with high/mid mixup alot of his attacks if you have been following my posts most of his attacks are just plain and simple unsafe, and/or interuptable from execution. Let's on average yoda can dish out about 2 hits and after that almost any attack he has can be interupted and knocked out before any execution.

3. And the decision to ban yoda, even prevents me from having any chance to participate in Regionals and I mean I could understand if yoda was actual broke then sure i would actually agree but he isn't and i mean isn't that what the bases of tournaments are, to see who is the best player, and not just ban something because it has maybe 2 to 3 advantages?

4. Also to the universal system of Soul Calibur, Yoda not being able to be thrown and Most highs(1 or 2 hit) whiffin, that leaves yoda with 2 advantages, besides that everything else yoda has is a dissadvantage pretty much, And Me and Oof have taught and explained the in's and out's to fighting yoda and how to beat a yoda.
For Example Oof is showing everyone at that gathering with Him, Dino, and some other folks how to fight against yoda(or atleast that's what he said he would do) But Yoda changing tournaments play is a horrible excuse, For example (Applying this to Hilde) she changes the play with the Doom Combo, but quite frankly it just requires more thinking in terms of playing the match, but yoda makes it Easier since he reduces your choices it makes you easier to think of a way to win.

Back