Tested this with programmable stick.

The input possibilities therefore are

F0 A
F1 B+K

or

F0 A
F1 A_B_K_G_1_2_3_4_6_7_8_9_Nothing
F2 B+K

Has anyone tried this on pre-patch? I have heard people say it used to work relatively well, but after the patch it borked.

If no one can confirm that, I'll go try loading up the game pre-patch and verify.

Has anybody been able to get it consistently (or even at all) on a stick WITHOUT button mapping? I can honestly say I tried it for about 20 minutes straight and got it 0 times... Scrub status.

It literally took me an hour to figure it out on a basis that would fire off more than once every 20+ tries.

Did you see this? ->

Screw button mapping. :P

Here's my tips for a stick:

If you did aB+K the old plinky way by holding your index finger slightly forward with your middle and ring fingers level to pop IV ear slicer, you can still sort of do 5 earslicer the same way. Curl your index finger slightly so your fingernail hits the edge of A and the other two fingers pop B+K.

Since I posted that, I have switched to using my fingernail on A at the speed of a Just Guard and then pressing B+K. It's sort of like the method above and it seems to work.... most of the time.... kind of......

Tested this with programmable stick.

I saw in another thread you have an Arduino or something wired up to a stick. Is there any way possible that you could test the lowest and highest time required to press A (before normal A comes out) and how much time you have to slide B+K?

Did you see this? ->

Since I posted that, I have switched to using my fingernail on A at the speed of a Just Guard and then pressing B+K. It's sort of like the method above and it seems to work.... most of the time.... kind of......

Cool, I skimmed past what you wrote but I hadn't tried it. It seemed to feel so unnatural which was why I didn't try it. But if it's the best solution to stick without button mapping, I will surely try. It's similar to the MCF technique in SC2 right? Where you elevate one finger slightly? That's how I did it anyway. I'll give it a try when I get home from work, thanks man.

It's similar to the MCF technique in SC2 right? Where you elevate one finger slightly? That's how I did it anyway. I'll give it a try when I get home from work, thanks man.

Not quite like that. I usually call the method you mentioned "plinking" since it's so prevalent in SF series. Plinking doesn't seem to work at all now, even for iMCF.

For the new ear slicer, you need to press and release A *very quickly*. I find it easiest to rest my fingers naturally on A (index), B (middle), K (ring). When I plan to attempt do an ear slicer, I will move my index finger down to the very corner of the button and try to flick the edge of the button. It's sort of like you're intending to push the space between A and G and brush the button on the way. This is the same method I use for Just Guard.

So once you have that corner-of-the-button-flick thing down, just press B+K as fast as you can. Try it in trainer - the first few times you do it, you'll probably get ABK all vertical on one line. Then you'll probably start getting white A then black A. After a few tries, you should start seeing a white A to the left of B+K with that beautiful URASAI! shout from Yoshimitsu. Or "Quiet!" if you have it in English.

Oddly, if you get good at doing it this way..... you can just do the exact same input (including the K) with a 2 to get iMCF. CH Ear Slicer links to iMCF for big combos now. The input notation would be something like a:B+K 2a:B+K 3B 6K for one of the weaker iMCF links.

Not quite like that. I usually call the method you mentioned "plinking" since it's so prevalent in SF series. Plinking doesn't seem to work at all now, even for iMCF.

For the new ear slicer, you need to press and release A *very quickly*. I find it easiest to rest my fingers naturally on A (index), B (middle), K (ring). When I plan to attempt do an ear slicer, I will move my index finger down to the very corner of the button and try to flick the edge of the button. It's sort of like you're intending to push the space between A and G and brush the button on the way. This is the same method I use for Just Guard.

So once you have that corner-of-the-button-flick thing down, just press B+K as fast as you can. Try it in trainer - the first few times you do it, you'll probably get ABK all vertical on one line. Then you'll probably start getting white A then black A. After a few tries, you should start seeing a white A to the left of B+K with that beautiful URASAI! shout from Yoshimitsu. Or "Quiet!" if you have it in English.

Oddly, if you get good at doing it this way..... you can just do the exact same input (including the K) with a 2 to get iMCF. CH Ear Slicer links to iMCF for big combos now. The input notation would be something like a:B+K 2a:B+K 3B 6K for one of the weaker iMCF links.

Excellent, I appreciate the detailed reply. I will definitely give it a try when I get home. I was going to skip learning it all together but with the BE system, it seems to be critical to be able to hit a:B+K and 2a:B+K. Man, I feel like I'm starting from the bottom all over again. Again, thanks man.

This is exactly how I had my SCIV layout, for which I did Parting Thrust via tap A, tap L1 (fast). Is that how you’re performing it?
Yes that is how I am performing it, but instead of tapping A, I slide off of it. This way you release it faster, and as someone has said it in the earlier posts it's all about how fast you can release A.

Are you using L2+R2 for Edge moves? I thought this was a clever solution, but in practice it ended up not being the most reliable for me...
I use R1 and R2 for brave edge but it's no where near as reliable or as intuitive as I would've liked it to be. I honestly tried everything to make it feel more natural to execute but there's just no way other than mapping A+B+K to a button.

Edit:
The video above got me thinking and I tried mapping the A+B+K to L1 and do Parting Thrust with it, but it didn't work. AA was coming out, so that's a shame.

Just so I'm clear on this, is button mapping an allotted or standard thing now? (on both stick and controllers?) What I'm asking is its "legal" in major tournaments? It seems like the majority of people on here are mapping.

Just so I'm clear on this, is button mapping an allotted or standard thing now? (on both stick and controllers?) What I'm asking is its "legal" in major tournaments? It seems like the majority of people on here are mapping.

It's legal, but it's more of a hassle now that you have to change your button maps in a match. If A+B+K works for a bind then I am going to replace my B+K R1 bind with A. Thanks for that noodalls.

It's legal, but it's more of a hassle now that you have to change your button maps in a match. If A+B+K works for a bind then I am going to replace my B+K L1 bind with A. Thanks for that noodalls.

Legal as in its actually allotted in major tournaments? I just want to make sure, because if that's the case than there is zero reason to learn it without mapping.

As far as I've read, it's legal in tournaments to bind for basic button inputs, but no programming moves or combos. So no direction+attack button, for example. []

Legal as in its actually allotted in major tournaments? I just want to make sure, because if that's the case than there is zero reason to learn it without mapping.

There are plenty of reasons to learn it without button mapping. For one, you don't have to sit there and waste time mapping 9 buttons instead of just using the default 4 button layout. If you get good at doing it the manual way you don't have to constantly adjust your hands. It seems you can 2a:B with the a:B+K inputs, so firing off earslicer -> iMCF combos should be faster and easier the manual way. Finally, you don't look like a goober with 9 layers of athletic tape wrapped around your thumb for "leet sliding techneeks."

If it is completely impossible for the above-average pro-cas crowd to do then we need to contact Namco/PS. Maybe we can get a realistic a:B+K for DLC.

There are plenty of reasons to learn it without button mapping. For one, you don't have to sit there and waste time mapping 9 buttons instead of just using the default 4 button layout. If you get good at doing it the manual way you don't have to constantly adjust your hands. It seems you can 2a:B with the a:B+K inputs, so firing off earslicer -> iMCF combos should be faster and easier the manual way. Finally, you don't look like a goober with 9 layers of athletic tape wrapped around your thumb for "leet sliding techneeks."

If it is completely impossible for the above-average pro-cas crowd to do then we need to contact Namco/PS. Maybe we can get a realistic a:B+K for DLC.

You do realise your calling LoLo and myself Goobers?

Sliding works great its pretty much 100% Also that little thumb thing was my idea from a loooong time ago and you dont use tape you use fabric ;) lol

Well the reason I mean why there's no technical "need" for it is logically 1) It's allotted in tournaments 2) most important, it eliminates potential human input error. Sitting there mapping and looking like a goober means absolutely nothing in the overall scheme of things for the two reasons I listed above IMO. The only button I'd truly like to map would be B+K since it's being such a bitch right now, haha.

You do realise your calling LoLo and myself Goobers?

Sliding works great its pretty much 100% Also that little thumb thing was my idea from a loooong time ago and you dont use tape you use fabric ;) lol

Ha. :) I'm sure you don't use 9 layers of fabric.

I can't find it now, but I used to have a video where the guy had his thumb wrapped to the point that it looked at least twice the size. I have no idea how he didn't hit multiple buttons with it. That was goober level. ;)

Sitting there mapping and looking like a goober means absolutely nothing in the overall scheme of things for the two reasons I listed above IMO.

That post was half sarcastic half true. The reasons you missed were speed and accuracy from not having to re-adjust your hands when you do it. It's pretty easy to "manually" do ear slicer with two hands - but I'm not going to recommend that as you have to release the stick which is bad news for everybody.

I swiped iMCF like a champ in SCIV even though I could easily do it without readjusting my fingers. I don't think it cost me any matches in the grand scheme of things, but having to move to guard from an inch away feels infinitely better than having to move 6 inches after ripping off iMCF like I was starting a lawn mower.

Practice and find what works for you is the moral of the story, of course.

I know a player who uses a special semi-elastic thumb cover, although it's a pretty thin piece of fabric that really only keeps his thumb from blistering on the d-pad. I just used to use spit (I also brought my own controller). []

I saw in another thread you have an Arduino or something wired up to a stick. Is there any way possible that you could test the lowest and highest time required to press A (before normal A comes out) and how much time you have to slide B+K?

That's what I've already done. If you press A for 3F then release and press b+K on the 4th frame you standing A.

That's what I've already done. If you press A for 3F then release and press b+K on the 4th frame you standing A.

Interesting. I was looking for the longest you can hold it, too. 4F to ? guarantees an ear slicer sort of range.

Back