Your thoughts on the [PS3]HORI Fighting Commander Pro 3

Now we are talking, pretty useful :D tnx buddy tnx a lot, I'll se up the hori like that today and give it a try.

Happy to help :) I've yet to find any A+K moves in the WIKI (though if someone could provide solid info on this I'd love to hear it), so the difficulty in pressing those together shouldn't be an issue.

There are no A+K commands on this game

I supected as much, but couldn't find any solid answers on the webs. Feels really weird coming straight from Soul 2 -> Soul 5... odd how they left the macro in the options menu when the combo isn't even used. Really appreciate the confirmation though mate, I like to learn the moves through experimentation and that's one less thing to worry about!

Just got this in the mail today. I wanted a tournament-legal wired controller.

My first remark is how big it is (that's what she said)

It's not petite like the Dualshock 3. It's a meaty controller and my hands kind of ache holding it (though that may just be that long set I ran a few minutes ago)

One thing to note, is that this controller is not like the MadCatz fightpad, it is hard to see in the pictures I saw but it has L2 and R2 shoulder buttons (I was only skimming through this topic before ._.). I like my L2 and R2 and I really did not want to give them up and play piano/Tekken claw so this was a pleasant surprise. I play with my thumbs and macros/binding and the R1 and R2 buttons on the face don't seem like they would get in the way.

Cool that there's six buttons on the face though, I might be able to try out 2D games for real!
... Maybe...

The L2 and R2 buttons are flat. Kind of weird, since I am used to playing with the RealTriggers controller mod, but ultimately, this will be more reliable. (Having your R2 [read: A+B+K bind] trigger pop off in the middle of a match is not cool.)

No analog sticks is nice, I guess. My thumb doesn't have to bump into right analog anymore, not that it did anything.

The adjustable D-pad is kind of weird, I am used to playing straight up and down so I left it alone. Turning the directional register to "wide" kind of makes it feel like my old loose Dualshock though. I guess I will leave it there.

I like how the D-pad feels as of right now. Turning up diagonal sensitivity makes sense on these cross-shaped D-pads, I think so. I think that was pretty smart of them.

The face buttons are big. The tactile response is kind of nice... the Dualshock's buttons are raised a bit too much to be comfortable sometimes, but they're analog buttons. Then again, I really cannot remember the last time I played a game that used that function, the only one that comes to mind being Metal Gear. Really, every other game, it's just on-off or mashing. Maybe Sony needs to do something about that.

The start button is hard/awkward to hit and you really can't half-ass the press. Which... is a good thing. The Dualshock's start button might be responsive, but you don't want a responsive start button in a tournament.

I will have to get used to it, but, it seems solid. For $35-45 it's most certainly cheaper than a stick...

I donno if I can recommend it right now. I want to see how long it lasts. Hori's got a good rep for quality products, don't they?

There are no A+K commands on this game
Yoshimitsu has one, I think.

But a majority of A+K commands have been removed. (Good riddance, now I can bind taunt instead.)

Something interesting I'd like to say, is that I can hit JF Twister on this pad, where it was near impossible on the Dualshock.

Still hurts my thumb, and it's not like I'd play aPatroklos anyway, but I think it's pretty telling.

The way that the back is configured does make my hands a little sore. I will just have to get used to it.

Under stress, the controller is similar enough to the Dualshock for me to not notice any difference. I'm happy with that.

Funny thing, when I'm getting Patro-kneed (66B+G) I reach to spin the left analog stick and it's not there. I'll have to get used to that...

I think Sony removed the analogue face buttons on the Dualshock3. At any rate, you don't get analogue acceleration on GTA4 if you use the 'classic' config... and they don't have the same 'travel' to them that you can feel in the PS2 buttons.

I have this controller but.. it is way too small. I have small hands and still the controller is small, especially the dpad :)

--edit--
Nvm i had the regular hori fighting commander... havent tried the 'pro' version.. is it really larger?

I am interested in this pad. The two main improvements i am looking for are

a) the responsiveness of the face buttons, to benefit slide inputs like the aforementioned iaga. I am kind of a bit jealous about stick users because their buttons usually register with much softer button presses.

b) how easy it is to pull off "236 like" motions on its d pad. With the ps3 pad i usually switch to the thumb stick to do inputs like CE's and stuff because it feels much more comfortable. However the dpad on the hori pro looks nicely curved so i get the impression it might feel "analog stick like".

Any comments about that? Thx in advance.

I am interested in this pad. The two main improvements i am looking for are

a) the responsiveness of the face buttons, to benefit slide inputs like the aforementioned iaga. I am kind of a bit jealous about stick users because their buttons usually register with much softer button presses.

b) how easy it is to pull off "236 like" motions on its d pad. With the ps3 pad i usually switch to the thumb stick to do inputs like CE's and stuff because it feels much more comfortable. However the dpad on the hori pro looks nicely curved so i get the impression it might feel "analog stick like".

Any comments about that? Thx in advance.
236 236236 or any input on the dpad feels perfect, I make no mistakes on this input, iGDR and Pyrrahs 236iB all the time, worry not about the dpad.

Regarding iagA...is a total nightmare I just can't do it, I can get it on normal but the just version..not possible on the PS3 pad I can do iagA all the time but on this one...just not happening.

I assume this controller is generally accepted for tourney play right? I know turbo functions are typically banned at tournaments but controllers aren't usually banned just on the grounds of having it right? I bought this controller and it should arrive later this week but didn't think to ask this question first.

If it means anything, I now know for sure that RTD and Woahhzz use this pad, among others.

It is a pretty damn good piece of equipment.

Got mine the other day, I'm liking it a lot. My muscle memory keeps screwing me though gotta get used to the new control scheme I'm using with this. Keep dropping combos and stuff because I push the wrong button.

I love the D-pad though I was afraid I wouldn't like it because I'm so used to the playstation's D-pad but it's definitely my favorite part of the whole thing. I used to have some issues getting Algol to reliably do his QI, especially online but now I have no issues.

Back