1.03 Tier List Discussion (aka Argument)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTD

SC4 International Champ
Quote from Map6600 on caliburforum.com:

"Hi all. I know that it's still very earlier, but as I havent got the game yet, I was wondering what the early tiers are looking like. It's one thing that I have not seen mentioned at all.

Again, I realize it's early, but it really doesnt take very long to see whos got the apparent good shit. Thanks."

Early Impression of Teirs...

i see a lot of mention about a character being top tier if they have strong mix-ups...

that doesn't always have to be the case.

Let's assume by the definition of this thread that Sophie, for example, doesn't have "strong" mix-ups.

Even so, she can still be very effective by simply blocking and punishing. She can even duck just about any high move (including throws) and punish from a good range.

But what if Sophie isn't played from a punishing perspective? That's fine as well.

She could just use her fast-long range moves that have high soul gauge damage to play a competitive CF game.

Or....

She could just sit there and interrupt her opponent all day with her fast and safe moves.

Some may wish to even throw her Auto Gi game into the mix.

All of the aforementioned tactics don't require any mix-ups to be effective.

Even more so, tiers shouldn't just be decided on a single attribute, such as mix-ups. You have to look at the broader picture.

Well, then...as you were....

Fuck what you heard....... this time around! My man Yoshi is top tier and yes I'm using him :) but I Started with him in Soul Calibur 1 so i'm not a bandwagon bitch :) haha

In my opinion: (Note: this is subject to change)

1. Amy
2. Mitsu
3. Raphael
4. Sophie
5. Cass
6. Ivy

1. Sophie

Let the debate for number 2 begin

In my opinion: (Note: this is subject to change)

1. Amy
2. Mitsu
3. Raphael
4. Sophie
5. Cass
6. Ivy

If Yoshi isnt in either of you twos list you dont know what your talking about.... and Soph isnt number one this time around sorry.... IVY is def above Mitsurugi...

Since Everyone here is just posting their personal List and not discussing WHY they made their list the way it is... I'm assuming this is a joke thread.

Since ZDamned wants to know why:

1. Amy - Have you played as her? Her A+k B unblockable is ridiculous. Her B+K K auto GI into launcher is too good. She's incredibly fast, doesn't have to stop attacking, and has some amazing strings.

2. Mitsu - Seriously it's like T4 Paul only better. Just mix up 2KB and BB/3B all day long. That's just the basics. Plus there are fancy tricks you can do with him if your opponent seems to be guessing right on your 50/50 low/mid game.

3. Raphael - BB is too good. Tracking, mid, long range, virtually safe? What more do you need?

4. Sophie - She got toned down and still is incredibly good. Best punisher in the game (236:B :4), fast, safe pokes, decent and usuable unblockables (11A[A], WSA+B), she has 4B+K which is safe, mid, goes under highs, rings out, AND is ridiculously effective for crushing the soul guage for CFs.

5. Cass - Great punisher, and does great damage. Nice, safe pokes. Great throw game. Combos off of everything.

6. Ivy - Ivy is a combo beast! She plays completely different but I think she got an upgrade. She seems to get more ring outs now as well.

I think it's too early to get exact numbers in, but I think we can place people into like:

Tier 0 (god)
Ivy (with infinite)

Tier 1 (high)
Amy
Raph
Sophi
Cass
Cervantes

Tier 2 (medium high)
Siegfried
Yoshimitsu
Mitsurugi

Tier 3 (medium)
Taki
Nightmare
Lizardman
Kilik

Tier 4 (medium low)
Vader
Zasalamel
Astaroth
Maxi

Tier 5 (low)
The Apprentice

Tier 6 (shit)
Rock

I'm not familiar enough with the rest of the characters

Since ZDamned wants to know why:

1. Amy - Have you played as her? Her A+k B unblockable is ridiculous. Her B+K K auto GI into launcher is too good. She's incredibly fast, doesn't have to stop attacking, and has some amazing strings.

2. Mitsu - Seriously it's like T4 Paul only better. Just mix up 2KB and BB/3B all day long. That's just the basics. Plus there are fancy tricks you can do with him if your opponent seems to be guessing right on your 50/50 low/mid game.

3. Raphael - BB is too good. Tracking, mid, long range, virtually safe? What more do you need?

4. Sophie - She got toned down and still is incredibly good. Best punisher in the game (236:B :4), fast, safe pokes, decent and usuable unblockables (11A[A], WSA+B), she has 4B+K which is safe, mid, goes under highs, rings out, AND is ridiculously effective for crushing the soul guage for CFs.

5. Cass - Great punisher, and does great damage. Nice, safe pokes. Great throw game. Combos off of everything.

6. Ivy - Ivy is a combo beast! She plays completely different but I think she got an upgrade. She seems to get more ring outs now as well.

LoL your reasons for the top two are weak... I think you've been playing too much online... The only reason I'm guessing you put all those up there is because those are the people u know the most about obviously.... I could make a list why my guy is top tier... but i'll just keep it to myself... ;)

It's a joke thread because it's a joke topic.

but for what its worth...I think these characters are exceptional at what they do

-Yoshi
-Ivy
-Sisters
-Sets (sway cancel is gonna prove to be deadly in the right hands)
-Cervy
-Voldo

I didn't list Mitsu cause characters with good step can step the shit out of 2K. Maybe not on reaction but quite easily on anticipation.

Seriously though, anybody can win pretty convincingly in this game imo. Rock...not so much, but it's possible

LoL your reasons for the top two are weak... I think you've been playing too much online... The only reason I'm guessing you put all those up there is because those are the people u know the most about obviously.... I could make a list why my guy is top tier... but i'll just keep it to myself... ;)
Apparently your guy is yoshi since you think it's blasphemy that I don't have Yoshi in my list. I said this was my opinion. I see no reason to attack it.

At least I'm explaining why I think characters are in the top. You just make claims with no reasoning, saying Yoshi is top tier and Ivy is above Mitsu. Care to explain and contribute rather than hate on other's opinions?

As for how I came up for this list. It's from playing several times a week versus 5-10 players in real life. I don't have online, so therefore have never played online. I also travel to tournaments and gauge who I think is top based off that experience as well. 2 weeks ago I placed 2nd at tournament, so not only did I get to see what different characters had going for them, I also got to play many, many tournament matches against them to see for myself. I'll be heading to a tourney in WI this weekend, and one in Chicago next weekend.

Please don't jump to conclusions as you know nothing about me.

i have mixed feelings on yoshimitsu. 66b has an annoying whiffing habit. he may damage more in combos but his mixups are weak. too throw reliant imo which is not good unless you're astaroth. every good low of his can be reacted to. his ws/fc game is mediocre. hes got tools but i don t see a way to put it all together yet, maybe over time. constant pressure with him just isn't happening. he s lost most of his frame advantages to maintain it. maybe he has a good soul crush game? that doesn t mean much though either. you lose first 2 rounds trying to soul crush someone they can just give you a round after that , regain a full soul gage and finish you off. i guess if you land his throws hes great. whats everyone seeing in him?

I really don't know who is top or what, but there is one thing that a few characters got, and that's verticals that track 100%. I'm used to WR a lot, but it feels useless against Mitsurugi and Raphael. I really don't know how much that affects things at super high level of gaming, but that sure adds them some power.

Cirex - There was a reason that Nightmare's 66B in SC2 was one of the best moves in the game. ;)

aha, i still remember when everyone said rapheal got even worse in sc4.
yea we got a while to go. think well have to wait for the big tournaments and stuff. you know, nationals

Obviously none of this is set in stone. Nobody is right or wrong. The title is "early impressions of tiers." So RTD wants to know what's everyone's early impression. Without a doubt, everyone's opinion of who is top tier will change as the game progresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back