A Letter from Jaxel, Owner of 8WAYRUN

• Admin
You know, 8WAYRUN was launched about 2 weeks after the release of Soulcalibur IV. The community's previous home was having issues and we didn't know how much longer it would be around. We were taking a risk with 8WAYRUN; since it was community funded, we had no idea if it would be self-sustainable. About 6 months after the release of SC4 we became the de-facto hub for all things Soulcalibur.

At first we struggled, but overtime, as real advertisers came in, this website became more than self-sufficient. In fact, it was doing well enough that we were able to get our own dedicated server in preparation for the launch of Soulcalibur V. SC5 launched and since then there has been little to no downtime. 8WAYRUN remains self-sufficient and won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Something a lot of you may not know, but a lot of the software for this website was written by me. In fact, except for the forum software and the skin itself, this entire website was built in house. The event system, ranking system, media library, the wiki, and even the way we handle spam bots and similar ilk have been boons for our community and have helped us become more feature rich than almost every other tournament community out there.

However, at the same time, most of the software I've made for 8WAYRUN has a modular design. I've been able to package them up and release them for free on the internet. Releasing the software to the public has allowed me to put a link back to 8WAYRUN on some of the biggest websites on the net. The result is that this website has one of the highest possible Google PageRanks to a simple forum.

But while the original purpose of releasing all this software for free to the public was to expand the reach of 8WAYRUN and increase it's PageRank, Soulcalibur has been declining in popularity. In fact, it has come to a point where the software I've written for 8WAYRUN is now more popular than 8WAYRUN itself. In addition, the advertising revenue keeping this website afloat is slowly coming down and will eventually meet the cost of our dedicated server.

Now don't get me wrong, I already said before that 8WAYRUN won't be going anywhere. If money became an issue, we would simply need to scale back to a virtual private server to cut costs. But either way, I now had to make a choice: I could scale back the server and keep things the status-quo, or I could use our extra resources to expand. I've decided to choose the latter rather than an inevitable bleed-out.

You should have noticed by now that these forums are now located on a "calibur" sub-domain. All the old links will continue to work; and with our routing system, they should always work. But new links all get forward to the new sub-domain. Its my intention to turn 8WAYRUN into not just a community for Soulcalibur, but a network of communities for many games; and not just fighting games either.

Why not use that extra revenue we are currently generating to help other communities that need it? I know there are a lot of communities out there that still run off free forums, or forums less accommodating for the tournament scene. Therefore, any community that is looking for a home, and can prove a minimum level of interest in their series will be welcome to join the 8WAYRUN collective. I will provide hosting, management, software and relative autonomy.

Turning 8WAYRUN into a network, will also give me the ability to offer a proper home to all the software I have made publicly available. Just let me know what kind of games you want to see join our family.

Jason Axelrod

Jason Axelrod

Owner and Operator of 8WAYRUN
http://dissidiaforums.com/
http://www.trmk.org/
http://pastadium.forumotion.com/

i dont know about their situation, but all stars isnt released yet and dissidia is not so popular. MK is.....i have no idea anymore. Also for all those people who listen to me, go to the evo voting page on FACEBOOK and find the forum page for all the games listed

I also have some youtube gamers that give commentaries on what goes on in terms of news. They can possibly be useful.

Can there be an area on the forums strictly for academics? like tutors and stuff to lure children and college age people?

so about this sub-domain design you speak of. How will these sub-domains be created? The first thing that comes to mind is how reddit works with "sub reddits", and basically whoever created the sub reddit is a mod for the sub-reddit. From there users can add it to their list of subscribed subs.

Also will sub-domains be limited to just games or can they be topics such as a specific developer? If so I'm calling dibs on making one for Treasure.

It almost sounds like you're trying to make 8wayrun into a hub for all communities which if that is the case, you have your work cut out, but its a very bold and interesting move.

so about this sub-domain design you speak of. How will these sub-domains be created? The first thing that comes to mind is how reddit works with "sub reddits", and basically whoever created the sub reddit is a mod for the sub-reddit. From there users can add it to their list of subscribed subs.

Also will sub-domains be limited to just games or can they be topics such as a specific developer? If so I'm calling dibs on making one for Treasure.
Sub-domains are not automatic; people can not just create them. They have to go through me first. Reddit is a different beast and thats not what I'm trying to replicate here.

Sub-domains for developers could work; but I would probably say no to Treasure. There just isn't enough activity in that community for it to be relevant. However, if we did a subdomain for lets say Nintendo, that could easily cover all of their tournament games like Smash, Pokemon and Mario Kart.

I would probably say no to Treasure

Yeah, they haven't done anything relevant in years and it pains me to admit that. Speaking on the creation of sub-domains, are you considering implementing some sort of approval process instead of just you giving a thumbs up or down? I fear if it was as simple as that it might backfire on ya.

And yeah, the average end user being able to create their own sub-domains would be a nightmare and would turn this site into the shit-pile reddit currently is. Not only that but you'd need some serious hardware in case it took off. Hell reddit according to alexa is site #134 yet that site goes down at least once a week for at least an hour.

stuff to lure children
D: That didn't sound right, lol.

IDK how smart or profitable it would be to go head to head with TZ, but their forum software is no where near as good as this place. I'd like to have an 8WR style forum for TTT2. If there were a big enough community, I'd probably leave TZ.

MK already has TYM, which is pretty good, so I think they're set.

Not sure about the demand for a DOA5 forum, but judging from the size of the thread in the video games forum here, I guess quite a few people are interested in it, and FSD is just... okay, but not on the level of 8WR.

Those are really the only games I play and can comment on, IDK what types of community forums other games have, but the big ones like COD or Halo might be a nice piece of pie to go after.

I'm going to throw out my obvious support for Capcom fighters since you already cover a ton of that kind of content on your streams. I'm just unsure if that means you'd be in direct competition with the likes of SRK, EventHubs and NeoGAF.

Well, they are planning on turning Black Ops 2 into an E-Sports game with the new spectating system.

What about that when it hits the stores?

Well, they are planning on turning Black Ops 2 into an E-Sports game with the new spectating system.

What about that when it hits the stores?

Aren't MLG and Activision doing plenty for that series as it is? I can't imagine anything like that working out, especially since if it did no doubt one of them would make their own(shitty) equivalent and essentially take over the community by advertising to the point that most players of the sort go to their (shitty) equivalent instead.

I would also like to suggest League of Legends, I know a fair few on this site enjoy it and other players of it would definitely be attracted a busy forum about it.

How about helping the Persona 4 Arena community? their website is really bad and I'm sure they could use your help. P4A was a huge succes in Japan and is not doing bad at all on this side either.

I think a quality game like Persona 4 Arena would be a cool addition to 8WR and is a bit of an "underdog" compared to other 2D fighters such as Capcom's fighters or KOF. Is there a Blazblue site comparable to 8WR, since P4A is most similar to BB? If not then I vote for adding P4A.

On the other hand, I understand the idea of trying to grab a "big" game like Halo or CoD, however, I wouldn't exactly want the game to overshadow 8WR's primary game: SoulCalibur. That would cause 8WR to lose its identity. The goal is to open more people up to SC while also supporting their own game(s), and thus generating traffic.

Wasn't a similar idea attempted when Blazblue was first released?

I remember Astral Heat was made and pretty much all of dustloop boycotted it right away. I feel like it can be more trouble than its worth with how most fighting game communities are.

It's a good idea. I noticed SC's popularity has been going downhill around the world. In fact, I have more than three months without playing SC5 (blame it on TTT2, which is a much more complete game than this unfinished pile of... software for lack of a better word)

I still cant help but feel bad for SC overall, seeing how it's shamelessly and increasingly ignored by Namco over the years. But I've moved on to Tekken, as most of the basic stuff I learned with SC I find applicable in Tekken as well.

Anyhow, all the best Jaxel!

I dont know nothing about the interwebs and such, but one of the main reasons why i find this community bare-able is that this forum has pretty much been ideal for my usage.

Live streams

11 Viewers
RonTheTryhard
RonTheTryhard
SC6 Sets w/ Legendgear and Machinegunkills
1 Viewers
Pukhlly
Pukhlly
Es dar o recibir Pijazos 🥵

Forum statistics

Threads
Members