α Patroklos General Discussion/ Q&A

So how exactly does combo scaling work in this game?
Natural combos: First and all subsequent hits deal 100% damage (e.g. BB, 2A → CE).
Air combos: First hit does 100%, second does 75%, all hits after do 65% (e.g. 33B → bA).
Stun combo: First hit does 100%, second hit does 80%, third/fourth hits do 70%, and fifth and on hits do 50% (e.g. 1B:B → 2143B:B → JFT).
Wallsplats count as both a stun and their own single hit, so they will scale combo damage down considerably for obvious reasons. Also keep in mind damage is affected by the state of the enemy character, which is why some moves like Algol's 3AA, which logically should only do 40 damage (20+20), does 42 damage because the opponent is forced into a TC state by the first hit of the string, causing the second to get the damage bonus of hitting a non-blocking crouching opponent with a mid.

Natural combos: First and all subsequent hits deal 100% damage (e.g. BB, 2A → CE).
Air combos: First hit does 100%, second does 75%, all hits after do 65% (e.g. 33B → bA).
Stun combo: First hit does 100%, second hit does 80%, third/fourth hits do 70%, and fifth and on hits do 50% (e.g. 1B:B → 2143B:B → JFT).
Wallsplats count as both a stun and their own single hit, so they will scale combo damage down considerably for obvious reasons. Also keep in mind damage is affected by the state of the enemy character, which is why some moves like Algol's 3AA, which logically should only do 40 damage (20+20), does 42 damage because the opponent is forced into a TC state by the first hit of the string, causing the second to get the damage bonus of hitting a non-blocking crouching opponent with a mid.

When you say "first hit" do you mean first hit after the stun/launcher or is the stun/launcher the first hit?

For BE bullrush you can JG the second hit and punish for big damage. Standard bull rush is really hard to deal with. You can GI and sometimes you can sidestep it. Other than that it's usually best just to block. For the fully charged version, options are very limited because it has huge range, gives frame advantage, and has a massive hitbox. Can't do much besides lay on the ground or GI

OK then that's not the move I'm thinking of. I'm thinking about the one that he can absorb a move up to 28 damage with.
No, you are thinking of BE bullrush. I've never had a problem dealing with it, but maybe I've never fought any really good Astaroths before (Entirely possible). If the super armor/revenge property keeps getting you, pay attention to when they like to use the move so you don't get caught by it, or just play a bit more cautiously when they have 25% or more meter. I'm pretty sure some fast moves that activate the super armor, like 2A, recover quickly enough for you to still JG the 2nd part of the BE, lol.

For BE bullrush you can JG the second hit and punish for big damage. Standard bull rush is really hard to deal with. You can GI and sometimes you can sidestep it. Other than that it's usually best just to block. For the fully charged version, options are very limited because it has huge range, gives frame advantage, and has a massive hitbox. Can't do much besides lay on the ground or GI
Fully charged bullrush is very easy to JG or auto-GI.

Vs Astaroth bullrush spam:
Spam 33B, I need to re-test (haven't played since march, lol) but I recall you being able to block a revenge bullrush after it gets absorbed. Also on hit he's at +9? Which is fine because 2143A+B kills his throws and your primary concern is a CH bullrush, big deal. When you have super its even better: input super after Bullrush on hit and you will interrupt every mid in his moveset and beat his throws. When Asta eats this a couple of times early in a set they spend the remainder with scaecely any pressure after bullrush for fear of it/desperately trying to bait it, either case gives the same scenario, then every now and again you can try a cheeky 214B+G and half shot him when he's at +9, lol. (its also a handy option select as you're simultaneously breaking his strongest throw should Asty press his frame advantage.)

Easily Astaroths worst matchup when Alpha has meter because he has zero offence and is reduced to fishing for max range 22B BEs. JG 22B on reaction is difficult but gives a free combo. In my experience, when bullrush fails Asta players will start experimenting with 6K as well so learn your JF T punish there, its a crippling staple.

Thats pretty much the kill bullrush happy Astaroth flowchart, lol. (Alpha gets meter, GGs)

Having said that, Astaroth is also the bane of my existence, I am eternally jinxed to make all the wrong reads against him. XD

Hope that helped.

Yeah don't play passive, rush 'dat son bitch down, it forces the match into a cycle of 50/50s with damage potential HEAVILY stacked in your favour. 2143A+B I believe is also safe on block vs Asty midscreen. (Maybe 4B? I dunno)

Also I would suggest in a longer set to be trigger happy with JF T early games. His punishment sucks and the Astaroth player will be forced into a more defensive style at first which is a great strategy imo as you are making adaptations on a disposable strategy, giving you a psychological edge when you kick it towards endgame. Basically force respect early game and abuse it endgame.

Say, I've been having a lot of trouble with APat's just frames. Is there any tips on how to execute them better, I'm pretty hopeless because i'm getting most of them which isn't much with by button mashes. Also, is it easier to do just frames on a pad or on a fightstick, pretty lame question but I would like to know. C:

Say, I've been having a lot of trouble with APat's just frames. Is there any tips on how to execute them better, I'm pretty hopeless because i'm getting most of them which isn't much with by button mashes. Also, is it easier to do just frames on a pad or on a fightstick, pretty lame question but I would like to know. C:
Practice is really the only way to learn em. Lots and lots of practice bro. Stick or pad doesn't matter. I play on stick btw

There is no magical way that will make you become a master of just frames. Execution takes practice, practice, and more practice. Most people would say a stick is much better for just frames, but it really depends on what you are most comfortable with.

Back