A Question About The Vets

Yellowrose

[09] Warrior
This time around am a bit on the serious side.. Although no one knows if there will be a SC6 "Although we sure as do deserve it", does anyone here feel that it's time for the vets to go? I know a great amount of the vets have magical abilities that makes them immune to aging,. The sad thing is what they have in youth, they lack in story. I know a LOT of the veteran fighters are extremely popular and maybe getting rid of all of them would be beyond foolish, but a handful of them can go now.

Characters that have been around forever

1. Ivy: My favorite female in the series "although both Pyrrah, Sophitia, and Natsu are runner ups", Ivy hasn't offered nothing to the story since SC3. If Miss Valentine is going to be around in the future, she needs to have greater inpact in the story or just sit her mansion and let some new dominatrix girl/boy enter the fray

2. Siegfried: C'mon we have Patroklos now. I know they figth nothing alike and totally different personality. The thing is Siegfried is just a army general against the endless war that is Soul Edge. He can still be in charge, but let him have a son or something to fight in his place

3. Tira: I feel bad about this. Not couting Broken Destiny, Tira has only been in two SC games prior to SC5. Too me Tira has just worn out her welcome. The problem with replacing Tira though is that she has a very unique style and personality. She makes a great villain as well, but with Pyrrah no longer at her mercy what is Tira going to do now? Maybe she'll kidnap someone else child and get them ready to become Soul Edge new host. The thing is that's pretty much the only story potential she has

4. Maxi: To be honest he can still work as a Father hen to the younger Soul Calibur characters like Xiba, Leixia, and Natsu. Yes he's old, but at least he's entertaining

5. Nightmare: Not my favorite villain, but Nightmare varies depending on it's current host. Makes for an okay villain I guess

6. Mitsurugi: The man has no life. Let me not take SC alway from him too

7. Cervantes: I can't for the life of me understand why he's still around. Upon Namco introducing Shura, I was certain the Cervy would be gone. Other than to annoy Ivy, what purpose does he serve? He and Dampierre can have a business relationship in a manual

8. Raphael: Soul Calibur 6 should be his last game. Aftwards if Amy regains her memories, she needs to take up her fathers style "I personally like her orb style more" or we need a new rapier character

9. Hilda: Now this is really unfair: Not counting BD and SC5, Hilda only appeared in one game. If Hilda didn't get so old and already had children I wouldn't mind her sticking around. Personally Hilda needs to allow her children "who are hopefully teens" to defend Wolfkrone

10. Algol: My love/lust for Algol is nearly limitless. However he is another character that has nothing to do with the stoy. First of all Algol is the living embodement of both swords and can kick anyone ass within the SC universe "even Mitsurugi" Algol works only as two things... a boss and eye candy. Algol has no further use for Soul Calibur and Soul Edge as I can tell. If Algol sticks around, I personally would be thrilled, but would bow my head in shame to know he's only around to make some swordsman look good.

In my opinion what the SC6 roster should be

1. Xiba
2. Pyrrah
3. Patroklos
4. Leixia
5. Leixin
6. Natsu
7. Viola/Amy
8. Z.W.E.I. "if he isn't dead"
9. Zasalamel "A character who hasn't worn out his welcome"
10. Astaroth
11. Voldo "Just gonna sneak that one in"
12. Bagoo "Rock's replacement"
13. Yoshimitsu
14. Shura
15. Maxi
16. Nightmare
17. Siegfried "Maybe"
18. Ivy "Maybe"
19. New Swordsman
20. Hilde "75% cool with 25% not cool"
21. New Swordsman
22. Older Yun-Seong
23. Algol "Nothing to due with the story, purely eye candy"
24. New Swordsman
25. New Boss

P.S.: If Sophitia can be replace, no one should be safe

Your thoughs

Ivy: Had a bigger role in the story then Voldo.
Siegfried: Had a bigger role in the story then Viola.
Tira: Is laced with ridiculous amounts of potential. Did more then Viola.
Maxi: Bored now. Still has reasons to stay though.
Nightmare: The story basically revolves around him.
Mitsurugi: Bored of him now. Let him be a farmer again.
Cervantes: He's a badass. Though he doesn't bring much story, no, but his fighting style is irreplaceable, and he's got the same potential as Tira.
Raphael: Has a more interesting new story then almost all the veterans. Even if I'm not a fan. Likely he'll be key to this Z.W.E.I/Viola/Amy thing.
Hilde: Her entire story increases the scope of the overall story by about a billion. I feel she's needed just for that.
Algol: Is going nowhere fast.

Your reasoning essentially boils down to: "I like this character, so it can stay. This one shouldn't."

You mention X character adds nothing to the story, so should go, then 'sneak Voldo in'. That's some logical reasoning there.

Seigfried's job was to find a new host for Soul Calibur. Now he's done that, so fair enough. But 5 wouldn't have made sense without him. On top of that, he's the former poster boy, so he's going nowhere fast.

If we were to drop the Vets, inc Tira and Hilde, we'd have:

A.Pat
Pat
Pyrrha
Pyr O
Leixia
Natsu
Xiba
Z.W.E.I
Viola

Which is a tiny roster. If we added things to make up for lost styles, without including vets, then we could theoretically add:

Bangoo - Though Rock wanted a better life for him.
Yoshimitsu the 3rd/4th/5th/276th

Without resorting to making all-new characters up. (Hilde has kids, so if we did another time skip then maybe they could fight too, at a push.)

Leixin is stated not to be the fighting type, so I doubt he's going to show up anytime soon.

The ultimate fact here is that the the veterans shouldn't be replaced. You need only look at the reaction to Natsu to see people's opinion - A lot of them were split. Some hated her, some loved her. Now imagine that but for every single older character. The shitstorm would be horrendous.

I completely agree with Le Bello here. (And not to be a grammar nazi, but why do you use quotation marks instead of parenthesis?) many of the veterans do serve a significant role. Raphael is a central piece of the side story we know nothing about. And with all the villian characters you say should be dropped, they can go anywhere with them now! Tira could make herself a host of soul edge, kidnap more people, or drop soul edge entirely. Ivy is important to the re-killing (?) of Cervantes, and he could do anything now also. You want characters dropped, but since I have a feeling if we get another Soul Calibur it will be story-mode heavy (as an atonement), and the remotely evil characters can do anything. Okay, Mitsurugi I can see gone, but he's a fan favorite that will probably stay. Hopefully they'll give him something to do. Algol is definitely becoming sort of pointless, so it doesnt really matter if he stays or not. He was only in IV and now V anyways, and he served really no point but as a playable boss character. Making new characters to take characters that are already perfectly fine as is (I personally would love to see voldo replaced just because he freaks me out, but his removal would probably make a fanbase attack also and I'm just one out of a million people.)

I just stated my opinion, but okay. Also Le Bello , you'r coming for Viola as if her character has been fully explored. Yes the majority of us believe she's Amy, but if that's the case Amy has more of a push than most of the SC vets. Now about Ivy. What purpose does she serve other than "Must kill Cervantes yet again. Why can't that man just stay dead:. Voldo could disappear for all I care, but I also feels he's iconic in a irreplaceable way. Am just saying if the older characters/Vets are going to stick around they need a bigger part in the story. Also just to say am greatful for both yout inputs guys/girls

some words.

Oh, I'm aware of Viola not being fully, or even partially explored, hence Raph being a key character still.

And yet in spite of that, in spite of PS stating she would be important, all of her story-importance was cut. Meaning it can't have been that important in the first place. So while I'm not arguing against Viola, and am fully aware of the situation, I'm merely stating that Siegfried's role in the given story WAS bigger. =|:}D

Regarding Ivy, she's studying Astral Chaos, which is kind of a massive deal considering Edge Master/Pat/The mysterious Priest/Cassandra/Night Terror/Algol etc etc. This makes her role far more important then most.

Oh, I'm aware of Viola not being fully, or even partially explored, hence Raph being a key character still.

And yet in spite of that, in spite of PS stating she would be important, all of her story-importance was cut. Meaning it can't have been that important in the first place. So while I'm not arguing against Viola, and am fully aware of the situation, I'm merely stating that Siegfried's role in the given story WAS bigger. =|:}D

Regarding Ivy, she's studying Astral Chaos, which is kind of a massive deal considering Edge Master/Pat/The mysterious Priest/Cassandra/Night Terror/Algol etc etc. This makes her role far more important then most.
I completely forgot about Ivy studying Astral Chaos. I think its safe to assume she will be rather important to the next games story. After all, Astral Chaos is the one thing we are learning much more about. Maybe thats why Algol was put in the story in the first place- to introduce Astral Chaos. And I think Viola would have been important if they had the time. I think PS just cut out that whole side story just because "Well they don't know anything about it anyways, so it won't hurt if we just wait till the next game to show them." (Though that makes me sort of upset, considering they should have just not put information about Viola and Zwei at all if they weren't going to say anything about them in game)

Here are my small humble thoughts on the matter...

Ivy ( because she's one of my main women.): I do think she has something to do with the main story and she will have an important role in the next game (maybe can never be too sure) Besides...a game without Ivy is just...No. But if they do decide to cut her out they would do it for they're own purposes, most likely story purposes. ( like the they did with Sophitia)

Siegfried: Like Le_Bello said above he's the former poster boy....he's not leaving SC too soon.

Raph/Viola/Zwei- They seem to have a really interesting story potential that Im anxiously waiting to be bloomed~

Tira- More story potential, also just because Pyrrha got "better" doesnt mean she wouldnt go back to Tira. After all she never seemed to have any resentment for Tira after all the things she put her through. For some reason I think Pyrrha suffers or suffered from Stockholm Syndrome. After all she called Tira her only friend :o

Maxi- Cant really say too much since I could careless about him

Nightmare- He's basically the face of Soul Calibur ( ironic)

Cervantes- Im neutral on him~

Hilde- Hilde is one of the most unappreciated characters in this game :( But like the ones above she has great story potential and honestly I like her~

If there is a SCVI i would go a different route and bring back the entire cast from previous games and introduce a couple new ones. Go thru each version of the game and incorporate all facets of each version that made it a great game. I'll admit that the story just isn't that important to me when it comes to fighting games. I rather they spend their efforts delivering the best SC "fighting game" experience to date. If I want stories I go play GTA.

If there is a SCVI i would go a different route and bring back the entire cast from previous games and introduce a couple new ones. Go thru each version of the game and incorporate all facets of each version that made it a great game. I'll admit that the story just isn't that important to me when it comes to fighting games. I rather they spend their efforts delivering the best SC "fighting game" experience to date. If I want stories I go play GTA.
Of course we need a storymode for a series like this to validate why these characters are fighting and give them actual credibility to be in this series at all. This isnt just a generic tournament title. It was intended to be a universe of events that build an atmosphere and mithos. SF doesnt need a story, Tekken worsks better with one but doesnt need one where as Soul calibur does, it and mortal kombat are the only two fighting game franchises that actually put effort into developing these characters to give them reason to reoccur in the series.

Of course we need a storymode for a series like this to validate why these characters are fighting and give them actual credibility to be in this series at all. This isnt just a generic tournament title. It was intended to be a universe of events that build an atmosphere and mithos. SF doesnt need a story, Tekken worsks better with one but doesnt need one where as Soul calibur does, it and mortal kombat are the only two fighting game franchises that actually put effort into developing these characters to give them reason to reoccur in the series.
hey bud whatever floats your boat. if you enjoy the story line aspect of this game then thats fantastic for you. i surely hope they make the story the best it can be. in my opinion the story just isnt that big a deal for me. i would perfer them to concentrate more on balance, graphics and the fighting mechanics instead. it would be great if both game play and story line were of the utmost quality but if i have to choose between the 2 then gameplay wins hands down.

In my opinion what the SC6 roster should be

5. Leixin

NO. Not if Leixia's there.

Nope. Keep him out of this.

14. Shura

LOL. No.

19. New Swordsman

Sounds kinda generic.

21. New Swordsman

You already listed this guy. Still not sold.

24. New Swordsman

"I'm sick of vets. Let's add in... Something."

25. New Boss

Only if the name actually is New Boss.

5. Leixin

NO. Not if Leixia's there.

Nope. Keep him out of this.

14. Shura

LOL. No.

19. New Swordsman

Sounds kinda generic.

21. New Swordsman

You already listed this guy. Still not sold.

24. New Swordsman

"I'm sick of vets. Let's add in... Something."

25. New Boss

Only if the name actually is New Boss.

Was the whole bit on the swordsmen suppose to be funny? New Swordsman/New characters seriously. What did you expect me to do? Pull random names out of my ass instead of just saying New Swordsman/New Character?

Was the whole bit on the swordsmen suppose to be funny? New Swordsman/New characters seriously. What did you expect me to do? Pull random names out of my ass instead of just saying New Swordsman/New Character?
Doesn't seem very well thought out.

For example: If they replaced Astaroth with a guy with an axe and the same moveset, why should they bother swapping out Astaroth?

You want random guy with sword? CAS.

hey bud whatever floats your boat. if you enjoy the story line aspect of this game then thats fantastic for you. i surely hope they make the story the best it can be. in my opinion the story just isnt that big a deal for me. i would perfer them to concentrate more on balance, graphics and the fighting mechanics instead. it would be great if both game play and story line were of the utmost quality but if i have to choose between the 2 then gameplay wins hands down.
Fair enough.

Is too early to talk about new Soulcalibur,need enjoy more the SC5 also would not be conveniet is better wait some of time

P.D. Where put Talim?!

Back