A quick question for the Australians here

whitey

[09] Warrior
I found this article today
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7645969.stm

All i gotta say after reading it (and i know I'm gonna sound like a dumb American) is: "Holy crap you can eat kangaroo!?"" what the hell does it taste like? How hard is it to get your hands on kangaroo meat there?

I might just have to visit Australia to get one step closer in my conquest to eat one of every animal on the planet.

well i've never been there but my sister sent me a couple kangaroo scrotum coin purses from there...so either they neuter them en masse, they hunt and eat them, or those scrotums aren't from kangaroos......

well i've never been there but my sister sent me a couple kangaroo scrotum coin purses from there...so either they neuter them en masse, they hunt and eat them, or those scrotums aren't from kangaroos......

Wow,im afraid of eating horse, but kangaroos?! Thats stomach turning.....

I knew a woman who lived in London during WWII. She told me that one time she came home for dinner and they had steak. Which was super expensive cause the nazi's had bombed the crap outta London. Anywhoo she starts eating it, and untill someone realised it was horse, she said it actually tasted REALLY good......They do say that hunger is the best spice.

I am from the Netherlands but I have travelled around most of Australia for about 8 months. I have eaten kangaroo. Leave the kangaroo burgers. Those are not good at all.

The steak however... delicious! When it is marinated and grilled only for a little while, just enough to get the outside brown and leave the inside red. It is some of the tastiest meat I have eaten.

Moose is pretty good as well. Quite heavy on the stomach though.

I have never eaten horse, but I wouldn't turn it down. I wouldn't mind trying cat or dog either.

But it has to be meat. I don't like intestines, brains, eyes, ears, tongue, etc. I don't like the idea, nor the structure.

harlekein said:
But it has to be meat. I don't like intestines, brains, eyes, ears, tongue, etc. I don't like the idea, nor the structure.

Oh man that reminds me, there is this stuff thats really popular in the Philadelphia area called "scrapple." Its explained as "everything from the pig but the squeal". its baisically the heart, the feet, the brain, the tongue, and whatever else they dont know what to do with and they grind it up and put it into a brick. but OMG that with some eggs in the morning is amazing! you just slice it and fry it.

Oh man that reminds me, there is this stuff thats really popular in the Philadelphia area called "scrapple." Its explained as "everything from the pig but the squeal". its baisically the heart, the feet, the brain, the tongue, and whatever else they dont know what to do with and they grind it up and put it into a brick. but OMG that with some eggs in the morning is amazing! you just slice it and fry it.

*starts to get queezy* Thats disgusting, i have to admit though, Cow tongue tacos are delicious.

Australian here and it is true we eat kangaroos.

However, i must point out that most people haven't tried kangaroo before but it is also not so rare for someone to have eaten it.

You're probably wondering why we want to eat our national icon, well its because they can be a pest sometimes and killing and eating them is the necessary course of action.

Heard they taste like chicken, but then again everything does apparently.

I don't mind the idea of eating animals like that at all...I draw the line at penis though...maybe that's my homophobia kicking in...but seriously, penis?

What's wrong with rooburgers though?

and tongues? Makes me sick thinking about it. Some of you have some really strong stomachs.

eclair said:
You're probably wondering why we want to eat our national icon, well its because they can be a pest sometimes and killing and eating them is the necessary course of action.

awesome thanks for clearing that up. I was surprised when i read that article. but after you mention that i guess it isn't really different than the Deer problem in the New Jersey/Pennsylvania area of the USA, people love to hunt and eat them, and yeah, they can be a pain in the ass.

Just the whole concept of eating kangaroo seems taboo cause I think I saw a Kangaroo maybe once in real life at a zoo. So eating a kangaroo to me is on the same level as eating a panda. Yeah i'm aware one is an extremely endangered species but its not like i'm gonna drive by either on the way to work anytime soon. its an "outta sight out of mind" kinda thing

@Divinechaos97.
srsly dude, if your ever on the east coast come to my place and i'll make you some scrapple. its oh so very good. I'd almost put it above bacon. The only reason i dont put it above bacon is because putting any food above bacon is simply un American.

It doesn't taste like chicken at all though. It tastes like game. The reason I don't like the burgers is because it's minced and it's the tender steak which makes it good. Also, when you cook it entirely done it isn't as tender and loses some of the taste.

so...how do you explain the abundance of kangaroo scrotum products on ebay? i'm assuming they are just neutered en masse or something...i dunno.

oh and i was watching taboo on natgeo and they had a segment on the penis restaurants in china. they interviewed this guy, who was translated, but he said..."yes, i love to eat the penises. i always have. my grandmother loves to eat the penises also."

i fell over at that point.

Back