Aeon General Discussion / Q&A

There has to be some sort of sorcery involved in getting normal hit 1B to wallsplat. I've gotten it to work maybe once out of forty tries at weird angles on Xiba's stage.
It's totally impractical anyway, just a weird oddity.

The next time I have a break I'm going to investigate combos on air interrupts, i.e. best options to do after hitting a jumping opponent.

I meant if you catch the opponent's jump unexpectedly with some move, if you can 66K them before they hit the ground, that type of thing. Also the oki situation after moves like 22B that spike the opponent.

So after I went through the Herpetology guide and trying out 668 B, I can't always get Back B+K to hit.
Is it possible it only works on CH or am I missing something completely?

So after I went through the Herpetology guide and trying out 668 B, I can't always get Back B+K to hit.
Is it possible it only works on CH or am I missing something completely?
33B → BT B+K is most consistent when it hits the opponent head on, hence the 663B input to eliminate the sidestep. If you do 663B and still hit them off axis the combo will probably drop. You're timing the BT B+K correctly, right?

I would like to think so. I don't do it instantly. I wait till they hit half way above me then do it. Probably wrong I am guessing
It generally needs to be delayed longer the closer they were you when you hit them. There are four usual outcomes depending on timing. Done too early, BT B+K misses (or at the farthest possible range you get front turned B+K). Slightly after that is the sweet spot where the combo works, then after that BT B+K will hit and launch them forward but 8B+K won't combo. After that BT B+K will hit them grounded or they can land and block it.

On off-axis hits it's best to just remove BT B+K from the situation entirely and do the 44BAA combo, although sometimes smaller characters can tech out if it was really off-axis. 1A should catch all techs in that case.

This question is gonna be a brain-dead stupid question, but where does Aeon get his damage from?
I want to know what moves or strategies I should look out for when I play against Aeon.

This question is gonna be a brain-dead stupid question, but where does Aeon get his damage from?
I want to know what moves or strategies I should look out for when I play against Aeon.
WR B, 3B, 1B BE, throws, and CH 44AK are his big sources of damage. He can get good damage from punishing (66K/6B BE) but the opportunities to do so come up significantly less often than for whiff punishing.

So basically to avoid his biggest damage don't whiff dumb shit and try to avoid letting him get a read on your stepping and throwing. Think of it as fighting a Nightmare that has stronger punishment but weaker guard damage.

It generally needs to be delayed longer the closer they were you when you hit them. There are four usual outcomes depending on timing. Done too early, BT B+K misses (or at the farthest possible range you get front turned B+K). Slightly after that is the sweet spot where the combo works, then after that BT B+K will hit and launch them forward but 8B+K won't combo. After that BT B+K will hit them grounded or they can land and block it.

On off-axis hits it's best to just remove BT B+K from the situation entirely and do the 44BAA combo, although sometimes smaller characters can tech out if it was really off-axis. 1A should catch all techs in that case.
I will keep this in mind. Thanks again for the info. Helpful as always.

So only can be done on a d pad
Um, personally I use the left thumbstick in SCV because I find these inputs actually difficult on the directional pad. I had trouble with Astaroth's :2::8::B+G: on the pad, until I tried it on the stick and started getting the just frame version every time.

The only real downside I find to using the stick over the pad is characters like Voldo and Tira that have :6::6::6: motions, as I find those hard on the stick.

I have a question for you Aeons who have played tournaments and faced really professional opponents. I feel that creating setups where you are ready to option select just guard or plain on reaction just guard is one of the best tools you can have with Aeon. I personally like to situate myself and use moves just to provoke a option select situation or my favourite, mid range and then just be super sharp for a moment and wait for the opponents move followed by my just guard and 1b be ring out. For me these tactics seem essential to bring Aeon to the top, but I have not played in tournaments with him.

There is the count for pressure which will mess up your sharpness and calm to do that just guard ring setup. But even if you fail your just guard timing, don't you feel this is one of those tactics where the risk is worth the reward, ring out. I guess I am kinda lobbying for this tactic right now.

Positioning into JG to get your R-O's is really about the highest level stuff Aeon can do, and the reward is winning.
The thing is it's pretty hard to pull off under pressure (with high stakes you usually try to play safer than usual).
More importantly, it's something you can do mostly against either: someone really predictable, or someone that you play often enough to have a good idea of his attack patterns.

I can do it all the time in casuals, in tournaments from Top 8 onwards it's a different story. But to directly answer your question, it's extremely effective and should be trained for if you "want to bring Aeon to the top".

Good to hear your feedback Reptile. Then I would recommend mid range setups, they are easier on the nerves. At that range you can react to the impact moment more easily. Being super focused all the time is difficult for everyone so I think it's good for Aeons to find a moment where they are able to execute this focus. I can illustrate my point with this video at 2:00 min.

I planned to be super focused after the 3b and looked for movement.

I' brand new to this character. I thought I'd try him out. So far I'm finding him to be pretty fun. He's completely opposite of my main maybe that's why. Question though. On 33k is it normal for 44 BAA to whiff on the third hit? Seems like he goes off in the complete wrong direction about half of the time. If the 33k lands should I just do 44k instead?

Back