Aion - new MMO out 9/22

Nuez

[09] Warrior
has anyone else tried the beta yet? i've played mmo's on and off for 10 years including eq, final fantasy xi, city of heroes/villains, guild wars, WoW, lord of the rings (briefly), and dabbled in a couple of others (yes, i'm crazy) ... Aion is the next mmo in line to be released soon and after playing in the closed beta i am relieved and shocked at how unexpectedly fantastic this game is!! People are calling it the definitive WoW killer but I disagree ... i think it's finally the quality alternative to WoW that everybody needed. WoW lovers will probably always love WoW (no matter how much they hate the game themselves) ... this game offers all the quality and features of WoW, but done better (yup, just askin to get flamed)

http://na.aiononline.com/en/?src=hdr - is where you want to go for some aion vids and details

i repeat, this game is actually top quality, really good, and (gasp!) innovative o.O!?

a) the combat system shares similarities to WoW but has enhancements that make it stand out.
Some skills chain to others, and when there's a chain available, there's usually more than one option to combo into depending on the situation (even mages have their own version of chain skills) ... feels like what age of conan was supposed to be, but couldn't pull together

b) flight! after completing certain story-related quests you will become a daeva (an immortal version of a human with enhanced powers and wings) and you will be asked to choose which 2 specialties from your class you wish to pursue ... for example, warriors choose between either the templar (tanks) or the gladiatior (flashy-ass dps)

c) the way the game handles quests, cutscenes, and crafting is similar to WoW but more refined. It just all feels like they looked at those aspects of WoW and found how to improve on each. Well, there's no real cutscenes in WoW actually, but there are in aion =)

d) the game is friggin beautiful ... the graphics and art-style are incredible to watch and the music is inspiring to hear ... the game even has battle-music ala final fantasy!

ok, now that i've verbally splooged all over this game i gotta ask if anybody from 8wr.com is planning on checking it out ... we should agree on a server and all that ish and hook up

finally, an mmo i've been waitin on that actually lived up to they hype built during its development ... i've finally found my game =)

Ive played in 2 of the betas this MMO has a lot of potential and it is pretty fun but lving up takes a pretty long time.

This game looks positively awesome, but, no matter how awesome it may be it will not touch wow. That's not to say wow is so amazing nothing can rival it. It's a shit fest and a monkey on the back of anyone who plays it. But everybody you know is already playing wow.

errr a majority of people who were playing aion said they switched from WOW to aion.Aion seems to be attracting ALOT of WOW players and now that WOW is down in china its probably gonna be huge there

Guild Wars is not an MMO.

And no matter what this game looks like or how it handles quests, it's still an MMO, so it fails.

I saw it and loved it. played beta first time and thought it was meh. played beta another weekend and my mouth dropped and my eyes watered. i found the only MMo i ever wanted.

The only letdown I saw in this game was that, you couldn't fly wherever you wanted and that there was a flight time if you did fly.To be honest I was only able to fly in 1 place while I was playing the beta which kinda sucked.You can glide through but most people really only used that if you were going down a hill or jumping down a high place, it was hardly useful.

sounds like you were just in a town or something gamewizard, or one of the starting areas ... the flight timer can be increased as you level up/get buffs/drink pots/and other misc ways ... mainly as you level up ... you will eventually be able to fly for a while so that you can fight in the air as well

what you're talking about is the glide which breaks falls by spreading your wings to decend slower by hitting the spacebar a second time while in the air ... that's not flight

sounds like you were just in a town or something gamewizard, or one of the starting areas ... the flight timer can be increased as you level up/get buffs/drink pots/and other misc ways ... mainly as you level up ... you will eventually be able to fly for a while so that you can fight in the air as well

what you're talking about is the glide which breaks falls by spreading your wings to decend slower by hitting the spacebar a second time while in the air ... that's not flight

I know that,but,20 seconds+buffs/pots/etcetc isn't exactly a lot of flight time and wing upgrades usually happen at a very high lvl and even at max flight lvl your flight time is around 2-3mins+buffs?I'm not exactly sure. I didnt get a chance to go to the abyss yet so I havent really witnessed many major flight battles, but while I was pvping and watching some pvp, trying to take flight while on the ground leaves you vulnerable for awhile because you cant just pop your wings JUST like that and alot of people who actually got up in the air just really get rocked by sorcerers or spritmasters or risked taking ALOT of damage.P.S I only got to lvl 15 in this game so yeahhhhhhhhhhhh but I did do alot of research on the game through.

you start with 1 minute of flight time @ lvl 10

up to 3-4 min of flight time in endgame +buffs, gear, skills, etc that'll increase it ... if you wanna play the entire game in the air maybe this isn't the right game ... the limited flight time forces you to choose when and how to use it whether it's in battle or just runnin around ... it creates another challenge

as for being cannon fodder in the air, theres some gear and crap that makes some skills better while flying, i guess it's the player's choice as to how they want to go about "building" their character

The game is not going to keep the vast majority of the players it tricks into playing it once they get near/at level cap.

The endgame is not fleshed out, the customization of you characters mechanics (skills/abilities) is completely limited to what class you play and not how you want to play it, the PvP system is terribly setup and you have two choices of sides:

1) "English Cigarettes"
2) "English Cigarettes" with alot of backhair and think 'The Crow' was teh best movie evar!

Which one do you want to be?

-

Aion is bound to attract a decent amount of people who are lookin' for something new, but it won't hold them. The American market just isn't into Asian MMOs as much as... well... the Asian market.

All in all the game playes like a prettier Lineage 2 with a vast majority of the problems inherit in that system along with it.

...the customization of you characters mechanics (skills/abilities) is completely limited to what class you play and not how you want to play it...[/B]

this is one of the things that always bothered me while playin wow ... the idea of talent trees ... it's kool and all but if you roll a pally why would you spec him as a priest ... i rather have 20 different classes than 9 generic ones that you can spec 3 different ways (useless, pvp, or raid) ...

as for the endgame, man i hope you're wrong but i honestly don't know yet...

Yo Nuez, promise me that if I decide to play this game when my semester starts that we'll run a guild at some point.

In other words, I'm down.

Not many people want to level countless characters just so they can experience a different aspect of the game. Especially in Aion. God. Damn.

Healers are healers.
Tanks are tanks.
Dps is Dps.

Templars
Gladiators
-
Assassins
Rangers
-
Mages
Spiritmasters
-
Clerics
Chanters

The 8 archetypes you'd normally see in an MMO in some of their purest forms without any deviation at all. What if I just don't want to tank anymore? What if I get bored healing people and want to do deal out some damage instead? Too bad, roll another class. :-/

I have never seen 'more options' as a negative aspect of a game.

-

I really can't reiterate enough how much like Lineage 2 this game is. Casters get fucked unless they are flying AND they get the jump on someone. Shitty interrupt mechanics make sure of that. (Just like Lineage 2 you can have your casts interrupted just by being hit along with stuns, knockdowns, pulls, and ton of other status effects not to mention the actually abilities made to interrupt casting like kick and pummel). Assassins are pretty unpleasant to get jumped by: -Opener -> Stun -> Ton of Damage -> Lift Stun -> Ton of damage that gets a bonus because you're 'Airborn' -> dead. Alot like a well geared WoW Rogue jumping someone in Greens 'of stamina'. It might take a little longer, but the end result is all the same.

...and god damn the PvP system is the old 'Honor Grind' from the High Warlord/Grand Marshal days back in Vanilla WoW. It rewards time invested over skill. Period.

You have a ton of time and no life? Then Aion's PvP grind could be for you! The Abyss point system is a terrible ladder type system that rewards those who just have nothing else to do other than sit in their basements and grind mindlessly, not on other players, but on Guards.

Yeah, Guards. There's a certain point in the Abyss system where you risk way too many points in real pvp encounters so you just kill the opposing factions guards for 'Abyss Points' over and over again until you see a real player and then run like a woman for fear that your past several hours of killing NPCs would be lost if you die.

...and what's the reward for all this mind numbing grinding? Well you get to be fucking VOLTRON. You attain 'Guardian' rank and you get 1494190714941% more HP, MP, Damage, etc. You can run around and two-three shot people and it takes groups of players to take you down. That's EXACTLY how I want to reward skill-less guard grinders! wooooooo! yay Aion PvP!

...but you know what? Whatever, I've bought the game. I'll probably play it for a month or two and then it's off to the wayside and back to the normal games.

I feel that Aion will be as much of a drain on WoW as WAR and AoC were, but just like WAR and AoC, everyone that plays Aion will probably have a one night stand rather than a long term relationship.

...and what's the reward for all this mind numbing grinding? Well you get to be fucking VOLTRON.

that had me on a lol-o-rama

but to everything else ... we'll see

WoW wasn't too different when it first got its start ... we'll see how aion develops ... i didn't like wow from launch to now and still i keep goin back and retrying it cuz everything else sux ... hopefully aion will do it for me

to fox: pinky swear mofo! i'm all over that ish

I'll stick to Guild Wars, thx. Best Team Based PvP there is, and ever was :( too bad many people consider it an MMO and a bad one at that based strictly on it's pve content.

I was hoping Aion would usurp it......but... nope.

cha cha

I'll stick to Guild Wars, thx. Best Team Based PvP there is, and ever was :( too bad many people consider it an MMO and a bad one at that based strictly on it's pve content.

I was hoping Aion would usurp it......but... nope.

cha cha

*high fives for GW knowledge*
Anyway,
I've been looking forward to Aion for a loooooong time now, so yeah, I'm definitely headed there with a few friends. Maybe I'm just the weird MMO player who never really enjoyed WoW, yet spent time in just about every other MMO worth anything for any reason. The way I see it, Everything has a selling point, plain and simple.

Also, I dislike talent tree class systems... If I wanted to be a healer, and only a healer, I would have been a priest... NOT A FREAKIN PALLY! so NO, I will NOT HEAL YOU or RESPEC FOR IT, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

*ahem* So yeah, different builds and ways of playing a single class... that are still within the realms of what the class is intended to be, that sounds nice....

so yeah, hope this isnt considered necroing.

Back