Algol General Discussion / Q&A

Tiamat

[11] Champion
Alright I know some people are still playing this awesome character so lets see if we can come up with some new strats, setups, etc. First off...and some people knew this already but I didn't...

2A+K [A+B] string will catch sideroll on some characters. NOT techroll, I mean ground sideroll. Closer you are the more consistent it is. Lets see if we can get a list of characters this works on cause it's pretty nifty. If they just lie there you should be able to mixup 2B and 2K for otg relaunch goodness, or 2A+B if they haven't figured out your trick yet.

O means it catch sideroll, X means it doesn't

0: NM, Asta, Zas
X: Al, Sieg, Ivy, yoshi

if close hit with 2A+K [A+B] it will tech catch all direction

also this is random but I've noticed BB and 2A+K track opposite sides which is nifty. been ignoring 2A+K for too long

Anti-Character stuff:

Asta:
general anti Asta:
- break B most of the time as that throw is more dangerous
- don't use high moves much at all, the more high moves you use, the harder this match is gonna be. Since you are Algol, you really don't have to use any high moves other than throws and AA for block punish anyway.
- NEVER EVER EVER EVER do high moves with your back to the edge unless it is guaranteed hit.
- His 4 is advantage on guard so don't attack or you'll lose, however he is out of throw range unless your back is near a wall, so to mixup with throws he will have to run at you, which gives you time to do something
- 1[A]A and 1[A]B ideally GI or jump the first hit. Algol might have some fun character specific counters for it. If you block the first hit keep blocking low till you see the mid guard break coming, then 6G it.
- if you block 6K take your free AA, after which you can frametrap with BB or do a low/throw for mixup
- don't tech after his 66K hits you or you'll just tech into a dash 66K/throw mixup. sometimes tech sometimes don't but usually just don't. stay down and block if you see him swinging for 22B

Strategy:
blocked BB/88A/2B+K > backdash G is crucial
this allows you to dodge command grab, and block 6K/66K simultaneously. Thus, in order to win against you, asta will need to do dash grab mixups which are not as solid. Your only concern in this matchup is that eventually your backdash spam will get you near the edge, and you can't step bullrush so you'll be in great danger then, because you cannot step bullrush and you will be unable to backdash to dodge grabs. Try to stay in the center of the field as much as possible, or get him near the edge, but not close enough that he can command grab you into reverse RO.

Nightmare:

- break A if your back is to the edge, break B if his back is to the edge
- punish NSS bA/b:A, NSS A+B, NSS K, and GS A on block with BB
- use 2A to punish GS, or 1B if greedy (though not as reliable)

Strategy is similar to astaroth. Don't duck when your back is near the edge, and try to stay away from walls and ring edges. Backdash is good but not so spammable as vs astaroth because nightmare has a variety of relatively fast moves with long range.

I'll be adding some other anti character strats in the future.

Algol General Chat: Haters Can Fuck Off

I'm so sad to even talk about Algol. but I'll say this that if he get patch let's him get another overview. It wasn't fair to ban him like that.

They won't give him a second chance but that's not what this topic is about. It's about learning new strats and having fun playing algol.

random anti-character:
algol 2A+B dodges apprentice's low projectile
33K might be worth using vs Kilik who does asura a lot, unless somone else can think of a better mid "kick"

i haven't tested it, but Algol's standing B whiffs on crouching opponents...i don't know if it was a weird glitch, but the first one whiffed every time, and the second connects.

I've never had that problem 0_0 what character did it happen against?

I'll do some tests later on this and other things.

algol v. algol... i wonder if it happens to all characters.

Algol seems to have problems using Bubble defense constantly against SK,Yoda,Kilik,Lizzy,Voldo,Ivy,and Cervy,Sisters,Yoshi,Taki,and Hilde. Really eats away at Rock,Seig,NM from what I've seen,Maxi, Raph,Talim,Asta,Mitsu, and Mina from what i've seen. everyone else IDK tbh. . X seems like she'd be fine. Zas possibly.

What's the causal usage on him nowadays? Doesn;t seem to much word on him like people checking and testing stuff against him anymore, but oh well. . VADER

Well since you made me happy tiamt. I'll start by my saying that Algol has a good pressure game. I have put many people in some many good bubbles trap it stupid. Sadly, I have fogtten mos of my Algol IQ so, I try to relearn them to make new algol players have fun online using him the right way.

he's not banned in australia and im so using him in the tornament in less than a month :)

i dont know it this got mentioned or not but his 66ba (i think thats it its either that or 66ba) can be comboed with 326abk and it looks awsome :P does the most damage from 66ab also, far better than 66a+b

Ribu: Zas is a really bad match against Algol. Zas is slow both in movement and attack speed, and has no special counters to use against bubbles. He loses in virtually every category against Algol.

Ljkabookie: I wish you luck! The strongest combo from 66BA is actually delay aB > 11B for 82-83 damage, found by lolo

No matter how much you dislike haters.
No matter how lenient we may or may not be towards cussing.
There's no need for a vulgarity on the front page of a Soul Arena, and consequently as a tag which appears on the index.

Tiamat & genver : Wait? Didn't someone mention that before?
I had it happen to me repeatedly against Cervy. (It whiffed, I went WHAT and asked the opponent the remain crouching. As long as none of us didn't move. B would keep whiffing. Did it about 3 times before I decided to call it quits. I significantly remembered that it was known though. Thus I didn't bother posting)
I can't remember the situation though.

boo @ censorship but oh well

vs algol if he crouch guard first hit of BB whiffs
vs cervy I had no problems when testing

I tested for 1P and 2P side as well.

Censorship only on the front page.
We need to maintain a clean image.
Once you CLICK on a link though.

Fuck you
:P

Is it just me, or is Algol's juggles hard to do? I'll get them on the ground, and I just can't seem to fire his gun fast enough to get them in the air. What's a good attack to put him on the ground while being able to recover fast and send him in the air?

2B+K is not a good move to put them on the ground to launch as they can just tech the 2A+B.

the unly good use ive found for 2B+K is after 3aa, but with some of the characters it seems to wiff so ive stopped using it and gone for the 2A+B after 3aa.

use 11a before 2A+B always works if you are in range if the trip is done on the very tip then they can tech the 2A+B but doesnt happen very often.

Thanks. And, in some combo videos, I've seen Algol put his opponent on his thrown and launch them into the air. Anybody know how to do this?

Back