a:G:B being only -13 on block
JF Umbrella
1B:B
1A:A:A(Whiff punishes and mixup)
33_99B
1K(I think. Might be wrong attack)
2A

ag:B is -23.
In a corner you can punish it with 1AAA to test, I just did =P.
In no paticular order: (not including any meter moves)

Umbrella
2B+K
Throws
B+K
1AAA
2A
1B:B
33B
22_88AA
66A

I'm liking 1K as well, anyone know when the TJ actually starts on that move?

For me ... B a, 33B Umbrella, 1AAA and trys to punishe the low attack with the umbrella is a lot damege,,,, I Nando el duro from Dominican Republic.

I'm surprised how few lists bA made it onto. Yes, it's unsafe, but more than any other move at his disposal, I feel it says "DON'T STEP!".

Yeah I definitely appreciate that. Whenever I'm looking at a character though, I'm always looking for certain tools (launch, punish, poke, etc...) and one of those tools I'm always looking for is "what is their fastest horizontal mid?" I may be overstating the importance of that category, and I'm aware of the risks, but I still think it's a very important tool to make your opponents respect, lest you be stepped all day.

I'm actually not a fan of 1A : A : A this time around. It has niche use as a close range step killer, but honestly, it's just not great and IS reactable.

So:

2363B
4K (OH GOD IS THIS GOOD, YOU GUYS HAVE NO IDEA. IT CATCHES STEP. USE IT.)
1B:B (Always the go-to step punisher)
214A (Guys, why is this not in everyone's list? Why? Catches step like a boss, +6 on hit and only -4 on Block?)
22_88A (Real good this time around)
Throws (Always a staple)
AA/BB
2B+K

I'm actually not a fan of 1A : A : A this time around. It has niche use as a close range step killer, but honestly, it's just not great and IS reactable.

So:

2363B
4K (OH GOD IS THIS GOOD, YOU GUYS HAVE NO IDEA. IT CATCHES STEP. USE IT.)
1B:B (Always the go-to step punisher)
214A (Guys, why is this not in everyone's list? Why? Catches step like a boss, +6 on hit and only -4 on Block?)
22_88A (Real good this time around)
Throws (Always a staple)
AA/BB
2B+K

Nice info on the step stuffing attacks, I'll have to try those out. Thanks much. :D

Things not on lists that I use
WR B_214B I don't know the frame data but it seems pretty safe. Great to throw out there even if stepped and gives very respectable damage on counterhit.
44B+K BE. My most used meter. 2A and 3B:B BE are great in combo's but i find them pretty meh outside of one. 44B+K BE Turns an already great poke into an amazing punish. Having this on hand makes playing at patty's max range a lot more threatening and if I can i'd much rather land 2 of these than one CE.

Ah the famous debate from SC4 ha ha ha. Is 1AAA reactable? Ha ha ha.
French top players can't react to it. They couldn't react to it in SC4, and now it's even one frame faster. I don't want to sound like a jerk but I don't know who are the Machines you're playing with but they have sick reaction time to be able to see i22 move with deceptive animation. Reaction time better than Keev. Better than Malek. Better than Saitoh. Better than "normal" people anyway.

You may find it is reactable but you just need to find setups where opponent can't guess it's coming. You get this move blocked? Your opponent doesn't have good reaction time, they have good mind game and you failed your setup.

My top 10 :
1AAA : one of the best low in the game
2363B : tracks, can be delayed, good launcer
Throws : damage
214~3BB (+BE) : Auto backdash, combo CH, safe, and you can BE even if they JG. Correct answer for them is to step. I've been spamming this move but I dunno how good it will be in the future because of JG and step.
214~2K : nice range, nice low.
214A : her best antistep tool. +8 CH. Deceptive range.
214B : antibackdash, very good range
214~3aB : punition, damage, TC
44B+K (BE) : punition, damage, starter
2A : allow mixs up

Honorable mention to :
6B
4A
44A
3A
11B
WJ B
8A+B A
4B
22A (yeah only 22A, not 22AA).

You may find it is reactable but you just need to find setups where opponent can't guess it's coming. You get this move blocked? Your opponent doesn't have good reaction time, they have good mind game and you failed your setup.

I've had malek block it the ONLY time I used it on him in a match - granted I lost to malek because A.) I played awful at that tourney and B.) He had way waaay better basics at the time.

Along with that, when I block 1A : A : A I find I'm seeing it more often than I'm guessing that it's coming. And I've had people who've played with me often enough in SC4 saying they saw it as well. I tried varying the hell out of it, but it just seemed like most people who played with me often saw it too often. Along with that, it suffered from that weird third hit bug if it hit slightly off axis in 4, so I just gave up on using it. In V it's been OK, but I still feel like I have reacted to it online. (Online only because nobody around here plays aPat besides me, and he's my third this time around.)

Also why is 4K not on your list? A mid kick with that much range that tracks? I honestly think it should be on everyone's. Really good tool.

To react to 1AAA is an illusion. They can guess but they can't react. I thought I could react to Xiang's 1A back in the days. Another player, another mind game proved me wrong. I had years of playing against the same 5 players from Toulouse (Akire and EggMaster included) as often as possible and they couldn't block it consistently.
I play against top FR players on a regular basis, and they still can't block it consistently (Malek thought he could block it on reaction too, later he admitted he was wrong). If you want an US exemple, I played against ThugishPond and he still couldn't block it consistently...
The move CAN'T be blocked on reaction, I assure you.
Either your friends are bots, or you guys have an insane reaction time, or most probably, you're getting predictible when you use it.

About 4K :
4K is a good tool, but it's not top10 by far. It has way too much recovery, it still can be stepped and it's kinda slow.
You have better options more often than not.

I agree with Maxou.
try it in practice mode from stance without anything else before you input it.

what do you guys think of 2364K as anti-step?
I'm still not sure about that one.

Oh, I know you play with top FR players, and I know who you've played from the US, too. To be honest, I thought you were the best sets out there in SC4. Especially after a couple of the bigger names started to drop off.

However, I'm still blocking 1A : A : A, even online. =/ It may be predictable setups, yes, but I've just never felt pressured by the move when I fight against him. I'm far more afraid of guessing a throw wrong than eating a 1A.

If I eventually find someone who is landing it on me a few times, sure, I'll take it back as a reactable low. But that doesn't get rid of some of the move's old weaknesses. (Being its range and the fact you can't 236 buffer it to increase it. :[ ) Though, thankfully, the big whiffing issue I had with it before is gone. Or so it seems to be.

The fact it can be stepped is not great, yes, and its recovery isn't great, yes. But it still catches a lot of step, and not only that, it's mid, a kick, and it has a ridiculous range. Those last three are enough to put it in top 10 for me.

I'm going to give my take on this move and I say it depends on your mixup:

Mixed up with tools such as 1B:B, I believe if you look out for it then it is perfectly reactable...

HOWEVER, its animation mixes up with B+K and if these are the moves you are mixing, it is a pure mindgame as nobody can block the mixup of these two on reaction.

OK tried 3K. This move is definitively top10 material. Use it. Abuse it. Love it.
Thank you CheeseOfTheDay :)

Back