Amy vs Asta?

Binarical

[08] Mercenary
For one reason or another, I seem to have an absolutely horrible time when fighting good Astaroth players. I can never seem to get spacing just right, and they just toss me around all over the place. Drives me crazy.

Advice?

i've always found with astaroth and other slower characters that you have to constantly keep up the aggressive game. amy's quick and has a lot of quick pokes that will stop most of astaroth's moves, save for his few quick moves (don't know the notation offhand as i don't play as him, but i can see the animations coming a lot better now) which you can train yourself to gi. i tend to play wayyy more aggressively with slower characters because if they get "control" of the match, its really easy for them to take away half of your health in just a few moves. keep the control and you should be okay.

I'm no expert on the subject, but I want to point out that that Astra's tiger kneel (6K), which is one of his fastest and best interrupt move has built in TC, meaning it will beat your 6B every time. So don't go too happy with the poking game. That, and buffer throw breaks a lot, as good chuck of Astra's offense come from those JF throws.

Off the top of my head.

Pressure stuff
I like to use B+K a lot at the beginning in this matchup since the moves most Astaroth players like to abuse are mids(especially 6K and 66K). Do be aware that he does have an i12 high(6A). 66[K] is -3 on block, and almost every Asta loves to do 66K right after, so don't default to 6B even though they're at disadvantage, bullrush is still going right under it. 6K is punishable by your 6B, stab him in the face EVERYTIME you block it and you should see it a lot less.

Spacing:
If they like to start the match with A and 4A, your 6B+K tech crouches fast and has deceptively long range, I don't remember if it will reach from starting position so try it out.

Asta also likes to do 22_88B alot, which is -8 on block, but pushes out like crazy. So don't just barrel at him if you block it, especially from long range.

Learn how to deal with asta's spacing on both ends of the spectrum. A good asta would want you close when he/she wants you to be in close range with him. Also, learn how to take your pokes in when you can. Asta has the ability to stack dmg VERY quickly on whiff.

Follow Reigel on B+K on mid abusive asta players; Learn to throw break.

Pressure:
3A is your best friend. Also, learn her frame advantage moves...(YES....she has some.) 3A and 1A are your best fast options that shut down asta's stepping/evasive game. 4A is ok...but only on CH, otherwise...you're asking to get hurt on block. 3B,A mixups are ok in this sence....but not entirely your game dependent pressure game. Learn her SG system. Slower characters need to block more, so find out what to abuse on slower characters. They can be included in mixups.

I main Asta, the best thing you can do is play aggressive. Not too agressive as the Knee of doom will get you. Follow up blocked rushes and combo attempts with a simple 2a. this will almost always snuff the knee out. Your best bet however is to keep him on the ground and be patient. Ast has some wikid wake up moves that are hard to stop using (i know from experience) so take advantage of that by using amys many ground game mix ups.

Astaroth's random mids are a lot less scary than other characters especially for Amy since B+K auto GIs bullrush and 6K. Getting hit by a normal hit knee isn't anything to panic about and you only need to be scared of bullrush with your back to the edge. Generally the knee will not hit you if you don't do 6B at like -1000.

This is gonna seem really basic but learn the obvious strings. Because a lot of stuff you can duck and punish that end in highs. Like if you can duck and then buffer 66B then you can do a lot of damage then you normally would. You can even try to tech crouch or A+B the strings you know that end in highs.

Amy can punish Asta's 22_88B on whiff with her 66A+B but make sure in range for 66A+B to hit otherwise your asking to get Counter Hit. Also, I don't think Asta can punish Amy's 66A+B on block anyways so just use that Against him.

Back