Amy VS Setsuka

Drazev

[08] Mercenary
Heya guys;

Any ideas on what to do vs Setsuka? I have a really tough time with this match because my opponents seem to stay in a TC state hitting mid and low with horizontals that seem fast enough to interrupt almost everything I can throw back including 3K and 1B+K. I have also tried using the B+K and A+B parry stances though without any success. This could very well be because of timing, so on that note can A+B parry stance parry horizontal attacks which are mid or low? I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but I figure I should find out anyways.

I will admit though that I do not fight this character often, and it could all be just getting used to fighting her. I did notice at times when you see Setsuka start a move you can 1B+K and interrupt a move even if it doesn't look like she is near you yet as she will shoot out quickly and make contact. I do not feel comfortable with that being a solid counter though because once they catch on, that will whiff and you get punished.

PS. Forgive me if I'm getting some of the terminology wrong on these boards. I am still getting used to the lingo on these boards though I do have the list handy.

As far as experience I'm pretty good with Amy and would call myself an advanced player with her. However I'm far from a Top teir player and while I have taken the game to the technical level I still can't execute her just frames on demand (mainly 6:6B which is mandatory) and I have little offline experience. Unfortunately I do not have anybody local that I know which is as good as me so online match ups with lag is the best I can do. I used to be pretty good in SC2, but this time around I am lacking somebody else who is far better then me to kick my arse to beat the bad habits out of me :p

My Strengths
-I flow well with Amy
-I mixup well with Amy (I tend to stick to moves which are fairly safe and sieze combo opportunities whenever possible, though I still use unsafe moves occasionally to mix it up, and especially like to save some particularly un-used moves as a trump card when the going gets tough to keep my opponent off balance)
-I have a good range sense
-I use Amy's speed to go on the offense at the first opportunity and interrupt when I can.
-I am a calm player and SC2 vet who doesn't panic near a ledge, and generally looks of opportunities to RO the opponent who is trying to RO you. Love how some players become so predictable when your in RO territory.

My Weaknesses
-I need to shake stuns faster (I can shake cervy's stuns fast enough to break his combo now most of the time, but not fast enough to give me the ability to counter)
-My step game still needs improvement. While I do step a bunch I need to improve my timing for side dashes and to step later to avoid the tracking on some moves like I notice others seem to be able to do. This would open up more punishment opportunities for me.
-***6:6B JF I can't pull off (like 1 out of 30 tries), and 236K:A I can pull off 70% offline, but not so much online and I need to get used to using it in combo's in place of 236KK
-I need to improve my use of her Autoparry and Tech Jump stances using them to evade moves more. I use B+K often but need to get used to using A+K instead of blocking low when possible, and especially A+B to stop horizontals. Though I need to get a better feel on what moves A+B can stop.
-Throws: I only buffer throw breaks maybe half the time currently. I need to get used to buffering a throw counter when I am vulnerable, and then figure out what button is used on the best RO throws on various characters so I know to buffer them when I am assaulting somebody near a ledge.
-I mix it up too much sometimes when I shouldn't. Sometimes something is working and you should use it until it doesn't. In other words only show as much of your game as your opponent needs to see. I need to save the rest as a surprise, and keep the unsafe stuff on the shelf for when the basics don't work.
-I need to find better ways with handling a down opponent without loosing momentum, though that really all comes down to mastering the 6:6B JF.

I can not get the 6:6B JF down either. I try and not do 66BA that just opens me up for a beat down. My play is a lot like yours. But i'm on Xbox Live so we are no help to each other

66:B is not required to play Amy well.

No, I do quite well without it. However there is no denying that it adds a considerable amount of strength to the character. Its probably the best way to punish somebody for staying on the ground, one of her bets soul crush moves, and if you got the JF you can use it as a minor launcher. The main point is that its one of the safer moves which she can do that hits the ground and doesn't have a long frame setup like A+K,K, that and it has good range for an Amy ground hit move. In the harder matches when people try to tank you the move helps a bunch to squeeze that extra damage out.

On that note I spent the better part of an hour today trying to improve my 6:6b lol. I still suck at it, but I'm improving. I also need to learn to spam buttons more during key points so that they get off for sure. When playing online all too often lag screws me and my control input was missed because it occurred during a spike. It also seems to help with the 236K:A JF.

SIDE NOTE:
I did some testing today and viewed the Setsuka arena thread for advice.

1) The :B:+:K: parry is still the best parry to use against Setsuka
2) According to the Setsuka arena the best way to fight Setsuka is to play defensive and guard standing. They said Setsuka's strengths include extreme speed, good range, and brutal combo's. However the majority of her fastest moves are all mids many of them horizontal and safe. However they said she lacks good damaging lows and aside from her umbrella foot stab which is not safe and can be punshed (can be jumped, prob by CF, though this is hard to do online with lag). A basic strategy Setsuka players use is to lure you into a crouch state or counter hit you where she can unleash most of her damage on you.

Therefore it is suggested to never duck vs Setsuka, and jump lows when possible while attacking or in the case of her super fast low slash just eat it since its low damage and doesn't stun. If she becomes to predictable with it then punish her. Another note about that low quick slash is that while it is technically unsafe, she recovers low to the ground and in FC state so do not get caught with a whiff trying to punish it. I didn't get a chance to test vs it, but I would see if CF B is fast enough to punish as it hits mid and is fairly quick.

I tried this once and did fail, but it was an improvement against the Setsuka players because I had her close in each match. However the parry needs to be used more to prevent going into soul crush, and I need to learn better when I can punish Setsuka, and in which way can I punish her to get the most damage. Most specifically I would love to find a way to launch her and combo so that I recover some soul gauge and do some good damage against her with a chance of RO.

This is a tough battle and tourney standings show a low success rate for Amy in this match-up. Especially since it requires people to play Amy who is generally an offensive character, in a defensive manner.

I dont believe so. Amy can still do the same pressure against setsuka. But maybe not online. Online isnt a good place to judge anything.

to the OP:

--umm, A+B auto GIs highs, not "all horizontals," and certainly not "mid or low horizontals." You're thinking about it like it's Cervy B+K. Also, I don't think Amy even has a 1B+K. How are you using an X move to interrupt anything? If you're talking about Amy's 6B+K, it's slow, and the stun can be shaken. I find it useful for tech crouch and range, but not a whole lot else. Finally, does A+K, K actually hit grounded? I could be wrong, of course, but I really don't think so.

--Learn common Setsuka strings and setups. You can A+B or duck the second hit of Setsuka's 66BA, for example. Also, a lot of Setsukas that I've played like to throw out her 4K on block. That's just scratching the surface, of course, but what it boils down to is that you need to figure out their pattern and adapt accordingly, and plan ahead for adapting to their counter adaptation, and you can't do that unless you have a working knowledge of what Setsuka does.

--6:6B is nice, sure, but I think it's mostly nice to be able to do on punish. Most of the time, when I'm thinking wakeup, I'm thinking 33B/66A+B/3BA, 2B+K/2A+B, 236~blahblahbbbbbbbbthrow2b+k2a, A+K, 4A+B/cancel, 8A+B, 66A. In that order. And honestly, 90% of the time, unless there's a really fucking compelling reason to do something else, I go for 33B or 2B+K.*

--Not everything that Setsuka does is safe. Go to the Amy punishment thread, read the Setsuka section, and learn the moves that give you free damage on block. Every little bit of damage helps.

*disclaimer: I moved away from the hub of East Coast Soulcalibur 3 years ago. I live in Cambridge, MA, now, and while it's done wonders for my real life, it's done nothing for my gaming skills. So take my advice with a grain of salt.**

**disclaimer to my disclaimer: that being said, I mained X in SC2 and 3 and I know how to whore a whore of a character, and Amy is a whore of a character just like X used to be, and I fucking love it.

Heya guys;

-***6:6B JF I can't pull off (like 1 out of 30 tries), and 236K:A I can pull off 70% offline, but not so much online and I need to get used to using it in combo's in place of 236KK
-I need to find better ways with handling a down opponent without loosing momentum, though that really all comes down to mastering the 6:6B JF.

6:6B is for flashy people...like me!!!

Anywho, Don't base anything off of online play. It doesn't really help you out. If you're a pad player, i can somewhat understand why you can't perform the JF consisently. However, people do have the wrong impression about the JF, they say it isn't good. IMO....they're wrong. plus, it's the same frames to do the normal one, it doesn't give more less frames if you perform it. If it did....that would be dumb!

Honestly, do it when they're grounded. That's it. And then from there, get creative ;)

the 236K:A JF is really effective on 2 situations. AND ONLY 2!. But don't try in actual matches until you perform is effectivly and consisently.

1. RO's. 'nuff said...and yes, it goes over low walls.
2. Pressure. Beleive it or not, it does add wake-up. But if you're a complex thinker like myself...you'll figure it out. Ask whodat :D

Back