Amy's Elusive Age

Thaeonblade

[09] Warrior
Eureka!

I have finally discovered Amy's age! (Or at least a reliable estimate.)

So like several other fans, I was always curious about just how old Amy was supposed to be in SCIV and how old she'd be if she was in SCV (Assuming that she's still alive in some capacity if she isn't Viola). She has a very petite statue and even the note that Raphael met her when she was less than 10 actually made putting her in character customization a potentially yikes situation.

But what I've found can hopefully alleviate that sinking feeling (a little) and I've concluded that she's actually the same age as Talim who was 15/16 in SCIV.

Raphael's SCII profile states that Amy was less than 10 when he first met her when she sheltered him from guards. I at first assumed that Raphael met Amy around the time of SCII and therefore, her age in SCIV would've been around 10 to 11. But on closer inspection, Amy's physical appearance in that game wouldn't have her as being that young. She appeared to clearly be a teen at the least which meant that I missed something.

Amy in SCII Intro:
Amy_in_the_Soul_Calibur_II_opening.JPG

Amy in SCIV:
325px-AmySorelSC4.jpg

On closer look at Raphael's profile it will be noted that he was on the run after killing a noble in self-defense. Why? Because that noble had been driven insane by the Evil Seed. An event that took place 7 years before SCII. Now everything makes a little more sense. After the Evil Seed, Raphael would have met Amy when she was a maximum of 8 or 9 years old and raised her as his own daughter for the next 7 years.

After his fight with Siegfried, Raphael stumbled home and Amy nursed him back to health and was tainted by the very taint of Soul Edge that Raphael's wounds held. Later, Raphael goes out to pursue Soul Edge and later Soul Calibur to create a safer world for Amy. As SCIV states, Amy herself would go on her own journey and is assumed missing by SCV.

Now for the math. Let's go with the assumption that Amy was 9 years old when she first met Raphael. Age 9 + 7 years = 16 years old by the events of SCII and considering that a whole year passed between SCII and SCIV, that would mean that Amy was 17 in SCIV. That's right, Talim is still the youngest fighter in the cast (Unless you consider Astaroth...but considering that he's not even human, I wouldn't really count him.)

Now does this blow a hole in the Viola=Amy Theory? Not necessarily. Remember that malfestation (Being infected by Soul Edge) can cause an apparent halt in aging as seen with Ivy (Appears to be in her 30s despite pushing 50), Tira (Looks like she's in her late teens/early twenties, is actually 34/35), Raphael (Still looks 30), Maxi (Hasn't aged a day) and reportedly Taki (Same story as Ivy) and the only physical changes if any were hair color (Typically greying as seen in the case of Raphael and Tira) and bust size (It's not much to notice, but Ivy and Tira's "assets" did grow over 17 years).

Viola is also described as being in her 20s which falls in line with the slowed aging that is seen in other malfested characters. If Amy is indeed Viola, then it means that Amy probably aged up to her early 20s and then stopped as a result of her malfestation and that floaty orb may have been a materialization of her taint which she can use as a weapon and for fortune telling stuff. The later theory isn't too farfetched considering that both characters have very similar dress styles, facial features, hair style, and they have the exact same japanese and english voice actors (Hitomi Nabatame and Heather Hogan)

The two of them are so similar that they're at least twins if they're not the same person, but the twins theory is pretty weak considering that Amy was described as on orphan with no other family to turn to.

So long story short before I go off topic, Amy was 16/17 in SCIV and this doesn't disprove Amy=Viola since Amy's age would've likely drastically slowed due to her malfestation.

That was fun...

Last edited:
Talim was 15 in SCIV.

It's implied in SCIV that a year passed between SCII and SCIV which adds an extra year to everyone's listed age. Haven't found the actual statement so feel free to ignore though it still leaves Talim as the youngest fighter.

It's implied in SCIV that a year passed between SCII and SCIV which adds an extra year to everyone's listed age. Haven't found the actual statement so feel free to ignore though it still leaves Talim as the youngest fighter.
Everyone's official age is the same through SCII-SCIV, so that's what I'm going on.

Everyone's official age is the same through SCII-SCIV, so that's what I'm going on.
that's what i was going on as well.
Japan will never tell us because if they revealed that she's underage then they'd get into trouble with the international crowd. Like how Kasumi in Dead or Alive has a canon age but all of the international releases show up as n/a.
and didn't they do that with all of the DOA cast that's under 18? i think Eliot and Kokoro's age were listed as N/A in DOA4. i don't know what their age is in DOA5 though.

and i thought something said that Amy was 15 in SCIV?

Raphael's SCII profile states that Amy was less than 10 when he first met her when she sheltered him from guards.

After the Evil Seed, Raphael would have met Amy when she was a maximum of 8 or 9 years old and raised her as his own daughter for the next 7 years.
Where? I don't recall it saying anywhere in his SCII profile that Amy was less than 10 when they met. I have the game so I can check later to make sure but I'm pretty sure it didn't say Amy was less than 10. Also, why the assumption that she was 8 or 9 yrs old? You've just made the foundation of your continued theory based off an assumption. I can just as easily assume she's 7. You can't judge by looks. I'm 20 but all my friends say I look like a 14yr old for ex. (>T_T) (sadness)

It says she's 15 in her SCIV chain of souls profile. That was also her age in SCII. So same year from SC2-4.

The Evil Seed event occurred in AD 1583, which was when Raph ran away, Kilik went berserk, Aeon turned into lizard form, Talim fell into a coma etc. SCV started in 1607 and going back 17 years, it is 1590 when SE was destroyed. The events from SC2-SC4 happened in the same year as I remembered for ex, Raph and Talim stayed the same age. So whatever Amy's age was in 1583, it's true that you add 7 yes. But for now, I'm still going to say Amy's age is best left at unknown as there isn't any concrete support besides her aging 7 years from when she met Raph to SCIV.
http://soultw.blogspot.com/2012/02/history5.html

I'm 20 but all my friends say I look like a 14yr old
When I was fifteen, people notably thought I looked like I was in my mid-twenties. Downside to this is, at 23 years old, my hair is already graying.

The Evil Seed event occurred in AD 1583, which was when Raph ran away, Kilik went berserk, Aeon turned into lizard form, Talim fell into a coma etc. SCV started in 1607 and going back 17 years, it is 1590 when SE was destroyed. The events from SC2-SC4 happened in the same year
I'm not sure why I want to mention this, but it's good to see people who know that "AD" is supposed to be put before the year number, not after. On a relevant note, if it helps your calculation, I'd like to point out that Astaroth is listed as 3 years old in Soul Calibur and 7 years old in SCII-SCIV. So there is four years between Soul Calibur and Soul Calibur II. If you could use this to calculate the year Soul Blade takes place, I would appreciate it.

Soul Blade = 1583??
SC I -- A.D. 1586
SC II -- A.D. 1590
SCIII -- A.D. 1590
SC IV -- A.D. 1590
SC V -- A.D. 1607

Where? I don't recall it saying anywhere in his SCII profile that Amy was less than 10 when they met. I have the game so I can check later to make sure but I'm pretty sure it didn't say Amy was less than 10. Also, why the assumption that she was 8 or 9 yrs old? You've just made the foundation of your continued theory based off an assumption. I can just as easily assume she's 7. You can't judge by looks. I'm 20 but all my friends say I look like a 14yr old for ex. (>T_T) (sadness)

It says she's 15 in her SCIV chain of souls profile. That was also her age in SCII. So same year from SC2-4.

The Evil Seed event occurred in AD 1583, which was when Raph ran away, Kilik went berserk, Aeon turned into lizard form, Talim fell into a coma etc. SCV started in 1607 and going back 17 years, it is 1590 when SE was destroyed. The events from SC2-SC4 happened in the same year as I remembered for ex, Raph and Talim stayed the same age. So whatever Amy's age was in 1583, it's true that you add 7 yes. But for now, I'm still going to say Amy's age is best left at unknown as there isn't any concrete support besides her aging 7 years from when she met Raph to SCIV.
http://soultw.blogspot.com/2012/02/history5.html

I also have SCII and that tidbit about Amy being under 10 was also something that eluded me. I saw that on her wikia page and figured that Raphael had an extended profile online somewhere. However, having her under 10 would be a fair estimate anyway and I choose 8 or 9 because she seemed rational and knowledgeable enough to defy authority and direct soldiers away from a pursued fugitive whereas a younger child would more likely run away or immediately tell the authorities about the stranger that just wondered into her house. Not only lie to them, but would also lie in a believable manner as well.

It's not just looks either, it's also stature, posture and action that would make 8 or 9 a fair guess at least for me. She could be younger and just matured quickly, that's very possible. After all, there are people who appear older than they actually are which can be variably good or bad depending on the person and situation.

Reason for the age addition from II to IV is because some profiles mention that IV starts in March and that a full year had passed since SCII. Feel free to double-check and since it's a minor point, it's very possible that the writers may have overlooked this and kept everyone's age the same. So the year addition is harder to see at first because of a minor oversight on the part of the writers.

As for when Soul Blade took place, 1583 would be a safe bet if SCII and SCIV did take place in the same year. SCV starts in 1607, a total of 24 years after Soul Blade. Simple subtraction and you get A.D. 1583.

@Zooom: A Malfestation is stated to be a result of the victim being tainted by Soul Edge's power, so yes, it can be called a taint.

When I was fifteen, people notably thought I looked like I was in my mid-twenties. Downside to this is, at 23 years old, my hair is already graying.

I'm not sure why I want to mention this, but it's good to see people who know that "AD" is supposed to be put before the year number, not after. On a relevant note, if it helps your calculation, I'd like to point out that Astaroth is listed as 3 years old in Soul Calibur and 7 years old in SCII-SCIV. So there is four years between Soul Calibur and Soul Calibur II. If you could use this to calculate the year Soul Blade takes place, I would appreciate it.

Soul Blade = 1583??
SC I -- A.D. 1586
SC II -- A.D. 1590
SCIII -- A.D. 1590
SC IV -- A.D. 1590
SC V -- A.D. 1607
I'd say that's about right. According to that link of the chronological order, Cervy got killed by Taki and Sophi and then Siggy got SE, releasing the Evil Seed incident. When he got killed, that was at the end of Soul Blade actually. So 1583 sounds right =D

I also have SCII and that tidbit about Amy being under 10 was also something that eluded me. I saw that on her wikia page and figured that Raphael had an extended profile online somewhere. However, having her under 10 would be a fair estimate anyway and I choose 8 or 9 because she seemed rational and knowledgeable enough to defy authority and direct soldiers away from a pursued fugitive whereas a younger child would more likely run away or immediately tell the authorities about the stranger that just wondered into her house. Not only lie to them, but would also lie in a believable manner as well.

It's not just looks either, it's also stature, posture and action that would make 8 or 9 a fair guess at least for me. She could be younger and just matured quickly, that's very possible. After all, there are people who appear older than they actually are which can be variably good or bad depending on the person and situation.

Reason for the age addition from II to IV is because some profiles mention that IV starts in March and that a full year had passed since SCII. Feel free to double-check and since it's a minor point, it's very possible that the writers may have overlooked this and kept everyone's age the same. So the year addition is harder to see at first because of a minor oversight on the part of the writers.
Meh. The wiki makes silly mistakes so I don't like to rely on it very often. One time it said Yun and Mina were siblings and i was like WTF?! xD

Remember, Amy's been living in poverty when she met Raph. Kids under those conditions learn quickly if they want to survive. I've seen 5yrs old bargain for sales of their produce at markets with a very quick tongue in Asia when I went on vacation. Under 10 is a fair assuption but I just nitpicked at the point since you said you 'saw' it in Raph's profile.

Hmmmm.... I do slightly recall seeing something about the passing of time... But I think it was only half a year and not a year. I'll check later or something when i have time (>^_^) But you're right that the writers may have overlooked it. For now, I'll just assume the same year since no one got older.

same here I have a friend whose 17 and they think she's 20-23. Some people go as young as 12 for me. Also my sisters are 30\31 and most people think they look 18\19
Yea, it's really hard to judge ppl's age by looks now xD
I've got a friend who's 28 and I was like OMG! (>*O*) You only look like 22! Lol

Hey if people is still not convinced that Viola is Amy, than my theory is Amy could have been 7 years age in Soul Calibur II, but 17 years after Soul Calibur IV; which is currently Soul Calibur V she might have turn 24 years old. Viola is 24 while Raphael chronologically 49 years old in Soul Calibur V, also I'm guessing Amy's hair color might have change from red to white because of malfestation or vampireism when she is getting older learning inhuman powers like with the strange orb she can sit and fly around with, but unknown however she lost her memories and later became Viola during the time of Soul Calibur V. I encourage y'all to play as Nightmare against Viola, because after you defeat her there's a different win quote that only implies to her that brings a another clue that Raphael could have been control by Nightmare at the time but he didn't have full control of himself because Nightmare took his body as the new host; which in turn brought Raphael back from the dead, but he is a host for Nightmare. Later on when Z.W.E.I. defeated Nightmare, Raphael finally have full control of himself and decided to continue the search for Amy. Also there's a dialogue that's have to do with Viola and Raphael when they meet. Viola: In the moon, I see everything. Raphael: You vex me. Who are you, woman? This led people thinking and guessing: Viola is Amy? Raphael at the time wasn't 100% that is Viola Amy, but why would he say that in the first place though if Viola is not Amy? My conclusion is that she looks a bit familiar to him, but because it has been 17 years after Soul Calibur IV he didn't fully recognize her true identity and a lot have change and happen during the past years.

the topic about amy being viola is done. project soul already announced that the two are in fact different people. so all speculations and hypothesis' are thrown out the window. the devs have spoken.

Back