An idea for a custom stick, could this work?

Sporko

Big Gimpin
I use a regular controller when I play as I can't for the life of me use a joystick. I can somewhat manage a thumbstick, but a full hand joystick I'm just terrible with. I have finger dexterity/coordination, once you add the wrist and the rest of the arm to it, ain't so pretty.

I'm also one of those players who uses the right hand index and middle finger instead of the thumb to input attacks instead of my thumb or binding button combos to the triggers. I think this is because that's where I have the most speed and control as it most closely resembles typing, which is one of my strengths as I type extremely quickly.

And then the other day the thought just occurred to me, "Well, if I had a custom stick that had buttons on the left for movement, then I could play with it on my lap and use both hands as if I were typing"

Is that feasible? Keeping the normal 6 buttons on the right that the other custom sticks have but on the left side, instead of a joystick, more buttons? (Sort of like a D-Pad that I"d type into instead of using my thumb for). I'm not sure if this would require 8 buttons set up in a configuration like a phone number pad or if it would just be four buttons setup in a diamond where pressing 2+6 simultaneously=3, etc.

If this could be done I might be willing to invest in having somebody make me one of these as I think that would be the best thing for me to play on (I'd only have to get used to not using left trigger to block since that's how I work it on a PS3 controller)

Sounds like a keyboard is what you're looking for. :P

It's definitely possible. You'd be surprised how many people feel they play better on a keyboard.

haha basically I"m looking for a keyboard with fewer, but bigger buttons, yes, haha.

If you know what you are doing (or know how to use the internet), you can make anything that has buttons control anything.

Step #1: Figure out how to make the physical device you want. A keyboard seems to be your best start. Perhaps a small keyboard or one of those half-ones. (the ones meant for gaming that are just the arrows and numberpad)

Step #2: Mod it to control a PS3/360. Plenty of tutorials on the web.

Basically, you're taking the parts out of a PS3/360 controller [go with cheap generic brand ones] and putting them in the keyboard and then re-wiring the keys to send signals to the PS3/360 controller circuit board. I don't know how to do this myself, but I know this is the basic concept and there are plenty of tutorials on the net to help.

You also never know that someone may have already made stuff like this. Snoop around ebay.

Back