Anti Prep study

Delloso

[10] Knight
When studying matchups, I decided to test each character's most efficient anti Prep options and made annotations about them, something to help me memorize my counter options for my opponent's counter options. My plan was, if my opponent is doing x to beat my prep entries, I could immediately remember the best y response to his move without having to figure it out mid match. I revised these annotations a lot of times to make sure there's no innacurate or missing information. I'm only human, so it's definitely possible that I missed important moves and counters on a character's moveset or made mistakes, if I spot them I'm going to correct it. For now, I came up with this.

Note: All moves were tested with 3(B) as Prep entry. The terms "on block" and "on hit" refer to the state of the Prep entry.

ALPHA PATROKLOS
Moves to watch out for: 2A BE, bA.
2A BE:
- Prep 4 makes it whiff at all ranges, allowing a Prep K/ Prep K BE punish.
- Beats both Prep K and Prep K BE on block, TC under Prep BB and Prep AB.
- Loses to Prep A+B at all ranges, on hit and on block.
- SE makes it whiff at all ranges, allowing you to SEB punish. However, 2A BE is a good move if used on reaction against SE, it beats every SE move on block if Apat reacts fast enough. Delaying SE before making any move will cause 2A BE to whiff at any range, and grant you a free SEB punish.
- If you go for the Prep fake route, you can beat 2A BE with any step move, best option being 33K BE.
bA:
- Prep 4 causes it to whiff at almost all ranges and can't be punished on reaction. The only instance where bA works against Prep 4 is if the Prep 4 attempt is predicted AND if Raph went for it at point blank range. You can Prep K punish the move after it whiffs.
- Loses to Prep K and Prep K BE on block, TC Prep BB and Prep AB.
- SE makes it whiff at any range further than point blank and can't be stuffed on reaction. bA only beats SE if it's predicted and done at point blank range.
- If you fake Prep, simply block the move, it's -21 on block. Even so, it's 4B punishable, this punish only works closer than tip range. If bA is Just guarded, 4B works at all ranges. If Apat is next to a wall and he uses the move, it's better to 4A+B aGI it to get a wall combo started.
AEON
Moves to watch out for: 4B+K/ 4B+Kg and BBB.
4B+Kg:
- Beaten by the second hit of Prep BB.
- On hit, loses to both SEA and SEB. On block, beats any SE move on reaction without much trouble, except for SEA which is harder to react to.
- Beats Prep 4 on prediction at all ranges, on block and on hit. If Aeon uses this move to react to a Prep 4 attempt, another Prep 4 right after the first one will make 4B+Kg whiff and allow you to punish with Prep A+B.
- Loses to Prep K and Prep K BE on block.
- If you fake Prep you can JG the move and punish with A+BA. Or, if Aeon goes for 4B+K instead, sidestep and punish with 33K BE.
BBB:
- Even more reliable than 4B+Kg at stopping SE on reaction, works at every SE move except SEA on hit. It'll only work if SE is done from close to mid range.
- Loses to Prep K, Prep K BE, and Prep BB on block.
- Prep 4 outside of close range makes the first hit whiff, allowing a Prep BB BE punish. if you delay Prep 4 you'll get the parry, and be able to Prep K BE punish.
- If you fake Prep, you can sidestep and punish with 33K BE or go for the B+K aGI.
ALGOL
Moves to watch out for: B+K, FC 8B BE and A+B.
B+K:
- Evades every Prep move on block. The only counter for this is to fake Prep, quickstep to make Raph immediately realign when Algol is teleporting, and 4B punish as he recovers.
FC 8B BE:
- Useful against the Prep highs, and if done fast enough can beat SE on prediction. Allows Algol to start a huge combo from it, assuming he has enough meter for the follow ups. Best way to beat it is by using Prep K and Prep K BE.
A+B:
- Beats Prep 4 on reaction at any range.
- Beats SE on prediction at all ranges. Unreliable move to use against SE on reaction.
- Beats Prep A+B on prediction at all ranges.
- Loses to Prep BB, Prep AB, Prep K and Prep K BE on block.
- Faking Prep guarantees a 33K BE punish.
ASTAROTH
Moves to watch out for: 66K (bullrush)
66K:
- Beats every Prep move at all ranges and situations. Only option for this is to fake Prep and JG bullrush (-23), allowing a 4B punish.
CERVANTES
Moves to watch out for: 8A+B, 4B BE/ DC:B
8A+B:
- Beats Prep 4 on point blank range on prediction. Loses to it at any other range.
- Prep K and Prep K BE beat it on block.
- TC Prep BB and Prep AB for huge damage.
- Beats every SE move on prediction on block. Loses to all SE moves on hit.
- Beats Prep A+B.
- You can fake Prep, sidestep and punish with 44A+B.
4B BE/DC:B:
- Beats Prep 4 on prediction at all ranges. If Cervantes tries to react to Prep 4 with these moves, another Prep 4 right after the first will parry both 4B BE and DC:B, allowing a Prep K BE punish.
- DC:B beats every SE move on block on reaction reliably. 4B BE can't punish SEA on reaction and isn't as reliable to beat the other SE moves as DC:B. On hit, they both lose to SEA but can beat the other SE moves on prediction.
- DC:B beats Prep K and Prep K BE on block, 4B BE loses to them. Both moves lose to Prep BB.
- Faking Prep, you can JG and punish both moves with 33K BE.
DAMPIERRE
Moves to watch out for: 623B, 44K BE.
623B:
- Beats Prep 4 on prediction from close to mid range. If Dampierre reacts to Prep 4, doing Prep BB, Prep K, or another Prep 4 to parry all work well on the move. If he falls into Poker Bluff, you can Prep A+B him.
- Beats every SE move on prediction, unreliable move for using against SE on reaction.
- Loses to Prep BB, Prep K and Prep K BE on block.
- You can fake Prep and punish with 33K BE. If he enters Poker Bluff, punish with 11K. both versions of the move are punishable with 11K.
44K BE:
- Beats SEB on prediction (inconsistent) and SEK, loses to SEA. If used on reaction, 44K BE loses to every SE move.
- Beats Prep K and Prep K BE on block (they whiff, results are inconsistent). TC under Prep BB and Prep AB.
- Prep 4 makes it whiff at all ranges. After that, punish with Prep K.
- Due to the randomness of the move, there's no consistent punisher for it if you choose not to enter Prep.
EZIO
Moves to watch out for: 44B, 4B.
44B:
- Beats SE and Prep A+B on prediction.
- Loses to Prep BB and Prep K/ Prep K BE.
- Beats Prep 4 on prediction. If Ezio reacts to Prep 4 with 44B, doing another Prep 4 afterwards will either make it whiff (punish with Prep BB) or parry it (punish with Prep K BE).
- if you don't enter Prep, you can do 33K BE or go for the B+K aGI.
4B:
- Evades Prep BB and Prep K/ Prep K BE outside of point blank. Against Prep K BE, Ezio will get the CH version of 4B for extra damage.
- Clashes with Prep A+B.
- Beats SE on prediction, unless Raph delays it to the last second, which allows SEB punish.
- Loses to Prep 4 further than point blank. It'll whiff, and Raph can Prep K punish it.
- If you stay on neutral, It's 3B punishable on block and 4B punishable on JG. B+K and 33K BE also work.
HILDE
Moves to watch out for: 2A+B, 66B BE.
2A+B:
- Beats Prep K and Prep K BE on block. TCs Prep BB.
- Loses to Prep A+B and Prep 4 at all ranges. After Prep 4 gets you out of her range, you can punish with Prep BB.
- SE makes her whiff at any range, allowing you to SEB punish. However, 2A+B is a very good move to react to a SE entry, and beats the stance moves without much sweat (except for SEA). If you delay SE, 2A+B will whiff and you can punish with SEB.
- By staying on neutral after 3B, outside of point blank, the pushback of the move will naturally make 2A+B whiff, granting you a free 4B for punishment. If you do it at point blank, it's more reliable to simply block and punish with 3B.
66B BE:
- Beats Prep K and Prep K BE on block. TCs Prep BB.
- Much more damaging than 2A+B.
- Beats Prep A+B anywhere closer than tip range.
- Prep 4 outside of point blank causes the first hit of 66B BE to whiff. You can Prep BB BE punish, or try to Prep 4 the second hit of the move at the right time for greater damage potential. At point blank, Prep 4 is beaten.
- The first hit of 66B BE is a high, therefore it loses to SE and any of its' moves. After you enter SE and the move whiffs, you have two punishing options. You can either punish with SEB or do a non delayed empty SE. The second hit of 66B BE always whiffs after the first one was tech crouched with SE, in the end you'll be at neutral and can whiff punish her. This second alternative is only worth it if you can get a 66K RO, otherwise just go for the SEB punish.
- Faking Prep and staying at neutral grants you a 4B punish (TC first hit of her move), though if you see it coming SE will always be the better option.
NOTE: Her charge moves were not included due to their situational nature.
IVY
Moves to watch out for: 214B.
214B:
- Probably one of the best Prep counters in the game.
- Beats every Prep move outside of Prep K and its' BE counterpart. On close range, sometimes both Prep K and 214B will whiff for no apparent reason. On point blank even Prep K is beaten due to the lack of tracking on the Prep move at that range. Not even Prep AB will do the trick. If you plan on staying on Prep, your only response to this move at this range is to try to Prep 4 at the right time to get the parry.
- Prep 4 makes it whiff at mid range, however due to 214B's fast recovery and Raph being too far away, there's no punish.
- If you fake Prep, step to your right and 33K BE punish. It's 6BB punishable on block and 236B punishable on JG.
I'll update the rest of the roster later.

Very shrewd of you to point out the faking of prep with 3B only. Lots of available options afterwards : JG, step, 3A if near a wall or simply working on your opponent's mind.

Back