Anxiety, Smoking, and Me.

TakedaZX

[08] Mercenary
I have a problem. It's been obvious since I was young that I've been someone who's... put into a state of anxiety in moments of high pressure. I completely freeze up everytime. I can't think. I can't find the solutions. I'm just stuck everytime. I might not be moving but my mind is completely having a meltdown.

It's happened with everything.

School.
Girls.
Gaming.
Talking to my parents.
Talking to people I don't know.

I want to find a solution but It seems that all I can come up to without being put on a bunch of drugs... is smoking, which I've considered starting multiple times.

Now I know smoking is a bad idea. Of course I don't have enough information at hand to say why it is bad, but I mean I've seen the things that do happen, and if it's really stuff, I don't want to have to deal with that. It's easy to say that I'd limit myself, but we all know that's bullshit.

Self control isn't my strongest suit, so I'm afraid I'd end up smoking a pack a day, maybe more over time.

Smoking is the easy option, but the other would be getting medical help, which in turn would end with me popping pills most likely. I don't want access to something like that... because I also get depressed a lot.

Anxiety is broad description of what I feel... but even still I want to know what I can do to deal with this, so does anyone think they can help me out here? Maybe point me to a article I could read... something?

I thought about giving you some advice like therapy or breathing exercises, but I don't know what that entails.

I will share my philosophy in approaching life.
All human beings have two fears. The fear to lose what we're attached to, and fear of the unknown.

So the pressure you feel in these situations is understandable. It's the way we cope with it that matters.

The way I approach pressure is by doing my best and having no regrets for whatever the outcome. If I fail, to bad... we're all failures in my book. And if I succeed awesome.

No such thing as freewill anyway. Whether or not you end up becoming a smoker it's already predetermined...

Just the same you can't control the outcome a lot of the time, but you can definitely change your attitude.

I don't know about smoking, since I neither drink nor smoke...IMO that stuffs masks the problem. The problem doesn't go away, and you might develop a habit. However, I won't say don't try it.

I disagree. There is such a thing as free will. Even if there weren't, living your life as though there weren't isn't a good idea.

Anyway, how about nicotine patches? They really do help you feel more mellow, and there are none of the drawbacks of breathing in all that dirty air.

I HIGHLY suggest Yoga and/or a type of martial art. Focusing the mind and body in unison is some of the best things you can do for the problems you say you have, You might think "Nah thats just dumb" But I urge you to at least give it a shot. 30 minutes a day of these things can change a whole persons mindset.

I have to say that i feel the same way but i make myself better by talking it out to someone i trust, that would be there for me, and trying not to think so much about stuff like that and escape life by video games. No matter how easy it is, Never EVER turn towards smoking. It just causes more problems and destroys your body in many ways. I know this since i have a family member that died from smoking to get away from life and my mom use to smoke and now she has problems all over. I strongly suggest to talk to someone who you really trust with this stuff and try stuff that relaxes your head, no cigarettes or weed.

Thank you guys.

I did talk to more people about it and do a little more research. I still don't like the idea of meds on it. Eventually I really will have to do something. I've even tried pushing myself into situations where I'll have to talk. It seems it's mostly personal/1:1 conversations that really bug the shit out of me, or situations where I have to control people.

My current job for the time being is talking to people that come to this farm, loading and unloading them off tractors, and directing them to the next person to tell them where to go. This at least gets me engaged in conversation. Maybe It'll help me overcome the anxiety.

Im just waiting for some Alphafag to waltz in here spouting off about how your a pussy etc etc. Seeing as I spent the time to read this thread I guess i'll just offer my *one* cent. Do stuff. I occasionally have some problems and my solution is go out and just do something, whether it be driving around for a bit or going to work or surprise visiting a friend, just stuff.

Im just waiting for some Alphafag to waltz in here spouting off about how your a pussy etc etc. Seeing as I spent the time to read this thread I guess i'll just offer my *one* cent. Do stuff. I occasionally have some problems and my solution is go out and just do something, whether it be driving around for a bit or going to work or surprise visiting a friend, just stuff.
Soon, I'll go out just driving. I don't have a car because the one that was gunna be me and my bro's 1st broke down, so we only drive our Mom's car right now. Were raising money for a new one so I'll try that asap. The unfortunate part is that since we moved(twice) all our friends are in florida and our newer friends are a few towns over. q~q

I have a problem. It's been obvious since I was young that I've been someone who's... put into a state of anxiety in moments of high pressure. I completely freeze up everytime. I can't think. I can't find the solutions. I'm just stuck everytime. I might not be moving but my mind is completely having a meltdown.

It's happened with everything.

School.
Girls.
Gaming.
Talking to my parents.
Talking to people I don't know.

I want to find a solution but It seems that all I can come up to without being put on a bunch of drugs... is smoking, which I've considered starting multiple times.

Now I know smoking is a bad idea. Of course I don't have enough information at hand to say why it is bad, but I mean I've seen the things that do happen, and if it's really stuff, I don't want to have to deal with that. It's easy to say that I'd limit myself, but we all know that's bullshit.

Self control isn't my strongest suit, so I'm afraid I'd end up smoking a pack a day, maybe more over time.

Smoking is the easy option, but the other would be getting medical help, which in turn would end with me popping pills most likely. I don't want access to something like that... because I also get depressed a lot.

Anxiety is broad description of what I feel... but even still I want to know what I can do to deal with this, so does anyone think they can help me out here? Maybe point me to a article I could read... something?

Kiddo, I don't know how to help you, I can only say a couple things. The first is that we all get nervous from time to time. It feels really good to overcome those nerves on your own, if you can. But it's hard to do that. I'm still bad at talking to my parents, lol. I think that's sort of natural. My dad used to wish he could be friends with his sons, the way I looked at it though friendship implies some sort of equanimity. A friend has to be able to give advice and take advice. A dad has to be a mentor and authority figure. If I could have told him, if there was a reason we couldn't be friends it was because he did a good job as a father. So maybe that was unrelated to anything, but I think it's normal not to be able to speak to your parents just like you'd talk to anyone else.

The second thing is that cigarettes killed my father. And it wasn't like he went out on top of the world either. He lost a lot of his lung capacity due to cigarettes and this caused him a lot of health complications. Poor circulation, weakened heart, strokes, heart attacks, renal failure, lung disease. He had pain walking for a long time before he couldn't walk at all. His last 10-12 years he spent in a wheel chair with worsening and worsening ailments. So in short, you're probably not gonna die young and leave a cool corpse if you start smoking. You're going to die after years of suffering and hardship to you and the people who love you. I will tell you what he told me. Don't smoke. Don't start, don't try it, don't think you'll be able to handle it. Just don't even begin doing it.

Back