Battle Fantasia Players Club!

Syrpiektre

[09] Warrior
So, it's out here finally, not with a boom but a sigh :D I dunno who if anyone will actually join me in this list but I want this just to be a matchmaking/good games thread. Maybe some discussion but if you're looking to learn about it there are quite a few videos out there.

X360 (US and JP)
-----------------
Syrpiektre - No default chara yet...

PS3 (JP)
-----------------
Cha Cha, offline only! - Watson

==============================================
After the first night, I realized that Soul Calibur has thrown off all my 2D timing and habits. I kept hitting B hoping to block and hitting Gachi randomly. ^_^;;

I'm waiting on gamefly to ship this, never played it before. Dunno how long I'll keep it, 2d games usually don't hold my attention for long.

Didja pick up the US release Cha Cha? I haven't tested out how Live might've changed the netplay, as I've only heard bad things about the PS3 version's.

And I want to try out Watson too but I'm still just messing around. I feel gross at times defaulting to Urs and Marco to start out with their shoto-ness, haha.

I play on PS3, import and strictly offline. The game is hot garbage online. Makes SC4 look like the golden standard of internet play.

I don't think BF is gonna make a big splash, with most of it's tournaments surfacing at animecons and the like, and only a few at that...That's my prediction anyways.

cha cha

Ah, okay. I'll try to get some online matches today and see what the play is like. I'm not expecting much, though, which means the game will simply be a collector's thing as I don't know anyone in the area willing to play it even casually >_>

And yeah, BF is definitely going to be lost in the mess of the less popular doujin fighters and quiet games like The Rumblefish. Unfortunate, but now isn't really the time to be competing against 3S when freaking SF4 is coming out ^_^;;

The thing with Battle Fantasia is that it was originally intended to play more like Super Turbo than anything else. There is a very interesting Arcadia interview with the lead designers of the game where they talk about wanting to create a new game that would go back to footsies instead of 30-hit combos.

However, there was pressure from within Arc to add bigger combos and make the game more like Guilty Gear; "don't mess with the formula" was the main phrase here. This is likely why the game turned out so strange and was unsuccessful - half the cast feels like Street Fighter characters, the other half feels like Guilty Gear characters, and some of the mechanics were clearly tacked on.

Frankly, I think it's kind of a shame that Japan seems to want nothing but GG clones anymore, but then Japanese game development as a whole has been in a total rut. That's why we've got HD Remix. =)

-Josh

Wow, I didn't think the game would be out in America so soon! This game never really intrigued me much (a little to whimsical for my taste) but I might give it a shoot since it's here.

It's a fighting game, what's to know Kowtow?

On the other hand, I still haven't even managed to find a random match since launch day :/ WTH? So no review of XBL for it yet... Lemme add you Kowtow and maybe we can get a game or two in tomorrow night. Are you down?

Add me to your fl Syr, BoringRyu is my gt.

I play mostly Urs and Deathbringer right now. I don't know how the online is for ps3 but the 360 version is definitely better than SC4's. I have no problems doing Urs's heat up combos, kara shoulders and just about anything else. My biggest problem is that over 100ms the game is balls but who plays over 100ms in anything anyway.

Haha, very true. I still haven't tried out all the characters. Haven't messed around with Donvalve, Dokurod, Olivia, Cedric or Freed. Thinking about sticking to Face for now though, even though I feel that he's incredibly unsafe. I can see why no one ever uses his revolver rekka, 'cause it feels like anyone can A right through his mixups in it.

Still fun to play tho, haha.

Well, I won't go into super detail but I can explain some stuff. Heat is exactly like the dark spirit mode thing from Darkstalkers. Basically it gives you either new special moves to let you do more combos, etc, and/or other basic enhancements to your attacks. Some characters have special Heat supers, like Deathbringer, where if you land a successful attack on an opponent three times during heat, he'll pull out a special super.

Gachi is parrying. 5G covers high/mid, 2G covers low. jG lets you parry anything so long as you catch it during parry frames iirc. 6G and 3G are high/low auto-counters, basically, where the high sets up the opponent for a juggle, and the low puts the opp. in spin stun for a combo.

Combos are a little more like Garou than Street Fighter, because of the slight bit of delay you get in every hit (at least, that's how I see it, I dunno about everyone else). That isn't to say it's all hit-comfirmable but I do feel it's there for a few characters. It's all pretty standard, unless you've never played a 2D fighter before...

Choose Cedric.
214Sutarto.

Get the Big Nose in a match.

INSTANT WIN!!!!

Easily my favourite taunt move.. hell my favourite move. EVER!.

But I play Watson :P So kewt...

If I where to play this game I would probably give Coyori a shot. BTW, am I the only one who thought of Power Stone when I heard the announcer?

Yeah I figured out a couple things, just kind of watching match vids to see what combos people are using. Never been much of a 2d guy, and I hear the online is pretty garbage, but add me if you like.

I have no idea who is saying the online is trash because it's very playable (at least on 360). Like I said, I can do anything technical I need to do with Urs and hitconfirm pretty easily, and I played a 40ms lag yesterday that felt just like offline.

The only thing shit about online is how there's no one who plays the game. And those you usually do find are so shit it isn't funny.

Back