Best Match Opener

I like using 3AA as a match opener with NM or I try to bait a whiff so I can 44B. Also if I'm playing against a Natsu that is windroll happy I start with 3B.

yea backstep and see wat they do if they start charging 3AA or ag:A. and if your feelin risky then do B+K to backstep into NSS then u got ur NSS options and GS mixups

step, back away, i rarely attack first. Whiffing is the worst situation to be in for NM so i make my hits count. Also, this will train your opponent to always make their move first, then at the last round when you have excess meter, whip out the CE to screw them over.

3AA huh? Alot of people say that's a good move, but I rarely use it. I'll try it out. Also, is the "backstep" any type of special notation, or is it just simply walking backwards? Just want to make sure Im not missing anything.

Backstep, aga, 3aa. Pretty much covers all of your opponent's options, except backstep. If you have an opponent who always seems to backstep at the start of the round, run up and grab. That'll teach them to be passive little pansies.

3AA huh? Alot of people say that's a good move, but I rarely use it. I'll try it out. Also, is the "backstep" any type of special notation, or is it just simply walking backwards? Just want to make sure Im not missing anything.

walking backwards would require you holding down back (4), for backstep you just lightly tap back, it's faster and you can guard to cancel the step. combine this with B+K (NSS), you can put a good amount of distance between you and your opponents.

3AA isn't entirely safe at close range but it's very good at mid to tip range, it's mid and covers steps, but the second A might be just guarded.

I spend a lot of time playing a Tira who loves starting things off with a jumping guard break attack (up B+K, i think) or 6A,A.
I usually go for 44K4B which will carry me under the up B+K and beats her ground attacks. 3AA is really good, but only if she doesn't come at me from above, in which case I'm probably down to 1/2 hps...

That has happened to me before with almost every Tira I face. If they do so just side step but I usually do NSS B:A.

NSS B:A will hit under every time from starting pos. If you backstep first, she'll jump into it, but the guard break attack will fly right over and hit you in the face.

Edit: agA will hit under as well.

Does anyone have any really good round starters and combos? I often times just try to string what feels right together but I've been on a losing streak lately. Also, I keep whiffing 3AA into 2A and doing that damned claw move. Any tips on that?

Does anyone have any really good round starters and combos? I often times just try to string what feels right together but I've been on a losing streak lately. Also, I keep whiffing 3AA into 2A and doing that damned claw move. Any tips on that?

merged into the best match opening topic. for combos you should check the combo sticky.

are you trying to do 3A2A?? just hit 3A then mash 2A right after and it will come out

Ah, thank you. I generally do 3AA to open matches, its just sometimes in the heat of battle I'll screw up and get into a crouched position. Guess I should slow down a bit and try to be more precise. Or maybe get a fight stick, heh.

Alternatively: For 3AA, I just tap 3 and then hit AA. For 3A2A, I just hold the 3 for the whole way through. Works great.

3AA is the most reliable in a wide variety of situations. 3B is better if the opponent has a tendency to rush in.

Back