Best Match Opener

I really don't understand the love 3AA gets. It's really only good if you know you're going to get a counterhit. Granted, blocked at tip range it generally isn't punishable but you're still way negative. I'd never open a match with it, and I'd only start a round with it if I knew my opponent was (going to do something) stupid.

I really don't understand the love 3AA gets. It's really only good if you know you're going to get a counterhit. Granted, blocked at tip range it generally isn't punishable but you're still way negative. I'd never open a match with it, and I'd only start a round with it if I knew my opponent was (going to do something) stupid.
It's NC, so no counterhit is required. It helps maintain spacing but I honestly see it as a gimmick because the second hit is GIable and JGable. You could mix it up with 3A2A to beat GI but JG is safe against both because they can just block the low.

It's NC, so no counterhit is required. It helps maintain spacing but I honestly see it as a gimmick because the second hit is GIable and JGable. You could mix it up with 3A2A to beat GI but JG is safe against both because they can just block the low.

3A2A combos on CH 3A. CH 3A2A gives you a better oki situation than 3AA. That's what I was talking about.

Even by Nightmare standards 3AA_2A is very unsafe. It's a bad opener.

3A2A combos on CH 3A. CH 3A2A gives you a better oki situation than 3AA. That's what I was talking about.

Even by Nightmare standards 3AA_2A is very unsafe. It's a bad opener.
I just realized this is a thread about match openers. I was going through the SAs checking up on topics I hadn't read and I figured this was the General Discussion just discussing the various merits of 3AA (a move I personally dislike).

3AA/3A2A is a terrible match opener, I agree. In my opinion the best bet is to backdash at the start of a round (unless you're facing Algol or Ivy).

Surely this is completely subjective to both the opponent and the matchup, so how can you have a generic series of 'best openers'?

Case in point I actually went online (for once) over last week and was trolling with Asta and I ran into a Mitsu player who started EVERY round with 8A+B:
How many people would call run up ~ titan bomb a good match opener? It was fucking genius in that match I can tell you, lol.

Truth be told I don't see how starting off with an attack is a good idea if you don't know the opponent/matchup with NM, you're just putting your neck on the line, much better to feed off of your opponents offence imho. =/

Case in point I actually went online (for once) over last week and was trolling with Asta and I ran into a Mitsu player who started EVERY round with 8A+B:

Where did you find the time to fight every online Mitsurugi player? Seriously. I see that move 1200% more often than I should. It's in the same vein of how every online Ivy starts every round with B+K. SCV online is like frolicking through a field of special needs flowers with superiority complexes. It's unbelievable.

I don't really agree with the concept of starting a round by pressing a button period. Seems pointless. Regardless of whatever your mentality may be, if you're in a chessmatch, you ARE at an advantage to be playing black. It isn't rocket science.

I don't know, if I was Natsu and had A+B (Broken shit) I'd probably throw it out at the start just to see how the opponent dealt with it. But NM is (and I know some jackass will argue with me here, so here's a preemptive fuck you =P) a whiff punisher, opening a round by attacking is just dumb unless there is a SERIOUS justification for it.

I love opening the 3rd round with CE against happy aggresive stupid fucks, it sets the tone for the final part of the match.

"Like a bitch"

3A2A is my go-to opener, I use it every first fight. If they use a move that beats it and is steppable (Like Xiba's multihit pokey thing or a couple of astaroth moves), I change the game plan. But against the majority of the cast, 3a2a ->3b if they don't roll or 1A if they do is the best opener, hands down. I don't ever really backstep in the beginning, I'll just quick step to one side into 22_88 B. Sieg's forward poke is another move than beats out 3A2A, I always sidestep then guard against him if he didn't fall into the 3a2a trap. The reason I say first fight is because by the first fight you can see what most people open up with, so you can react, also by that time you usually know their most used combos and what to expect. The reason for a berserking first hit is because it starts the match for them off with aggression and gets them psyched into a defensive mode unless they are quite good, and then you are gonna NEED the pressure.

I usually backstep until I get a read on what my opponent likes to do. If they like to push buttons I'll start hitting them with iaGA or 3A2A. If they're too defensive, run up throw.

Guys, I've been finding that BB makes an excellent first match opener, and it sets them up to usually step during the start of round 2, leaving them open to opening with 3AA. Typically, after that they will backstep, leaving them open to rush throw. Against a typical backstepper, BB is usually safe enough to block, though I've found that if your BB whiffs at round one, a backstepper will try to attack round 2 opening. That is all.
Don't EVER BB open vs. Xiba though, he can beat it. Works wonders v Mitsu though.

iag:A
BS
FS
66A

My main ones, or the occasional GS if I anticipate my opponent to do a high, or FC 3B.

errr.....
3AA for people that rush down. 3A is good because it's versatile. You got 3A, 3AA, and 3A2A.
Backdash is a typical thing most people do.
1B to kill this typical backdash thing people do.
22AA to cover a wide number of options, sidestep, anti step, anti backdash...since like 3A it's also versatile, in 22A, 22AGS.
2B, very good spacing tool, gives you WR options, and access to flapjacks on hit.
iAga.

Back