[Buffalo, NY] How'd we get to be so S-RANK?

BB is just a recent development. and yeah it seems i can't fix it. i've been trying but basically gotta set it up right just for the player lol. which means it's annoying to play with multiple ppl on the PC if you use different configurations. just a 2 man deal.

anyways xpadder 5.3 is free. works on xp / vista fine but with windows 7 you just gotta do this:

search > program compatibility > a wizard shows up to make that program compatible with windows 7 and you just follow the steps.

Yoo what's up Buffalo. :o

We're gonna be having an SC gathering at my place on Saturday. Some players from Montreal are planning on coming, as well as a bunch of Toronto players and some out of towners. I'm expecting around 10 people, maybe more. I'm sure Cha Cha is the last SC4 player standing in Buffalo, but even if it's just you Brian, it would be cool if you could make it. Let's keep the Soul burning. :)

http://www.8wayrun.com/f57/toronto-ontario-canada-were-in-canada-t705/page26.html#post187819

Amaury, it would have been nice to come, but since this is short notice I already have plans to go to the new Magic pre-release tourney locally. If your gathering is fun enough for all involved, do it again and give me a heads up, and I will try to come.

cha cha

Calibur in Buffalo? I thought this was a street fighter/BB thread.

lol I know right? Calibur in Buffalo is complicated, there's no more Hilde so it's like we're not even playing Calibur anymore! Plus I just really don't care about fighting games enough to put in effort anymore, and it's difficult to play them just for fun around here. Fighters = serious business, just not for me lol.

k guys, I just thought of this a while ago. I call it, my wake-game theory. it's still in the testing
stages but I'm 99% sure you can apply this to any 2d fighter:

if you want to simplify wake up game (in this instance I'm referring more so to you, the player having to deal
with it coming from your opponent after a knockdown), it's a 50/50 mix up basically. Anybody that mercilessly
pursues you with an established momentum is going to imo, either hit you, or throw you. The thing is, most of the time
you'd have to guess which one it'll be, because sometimes when your overwhelmed from being hit so much it's get hard to read your opponent to predict his next movement. so 1st things 1st, you have to figure out (with knowledge of your character and the character your fighting) how you can keep this a 50/50 mixup game thats easy to guess out of. Lets take Ryu VS Abel for example:

- Abel knocks Ryu down. You know most Ables like to do TT or C.HP while you wake up (established 50/50 mixup, meaty hit and untechable throw)

- You know that abel's TT can be beatin my simply jumping upwards, and that his crouchin HP could be beatin by a
reversal shoryuken

once Ryu realizes this, being knocked down doesn't seem so scary after all, so the next time he gets knocked down, you know you can get away with jumping upwards or by doing a reversal dp

This could get more complicated however, with certain characters because some don't have a good reliable DP move
so to say, that will beat or trade with any meaty a character might try to do. Take Gouken vs Abel for example:

- Gouken gets knocked down, and the player controlling Gouken (lets say me) knows that the Abel player will
pursue with me on wake up with either TT, or wheel kick (50/50 mixup; untechable throw, and an ARMOR BREAKING
meaty)

- Normally I'd jump like Ryu to avoid the TT and punish or EX counter to counter the meaty hit, but in this case, EX
counter will not work because wheel kick breaks armor. The Abel player probably realized this hence him attacking with the wheel meaty instead of C.HP.

- Now I have to be open to other wake up options because I want to stay alive. I could play it safe, and just block the wheel kick and punish or continue to try to intimidate him from pursuing me on wake up by using EX. Tatsu, which is
hella unsafe because if you guess wrong... ya'll know. I'm going to decide to block the wheel kick because it's safer
if it's a wrong guess

So right about now you could say you have to guess between 4 options (block, jump up, EX counter or EX tatsu), but still it's is 50/50 mixup because you only have to choose between 2 of the 4. in that situation, those 2 options are, to block the wheel kick and punish or jump up to avoid the TT. The only difference between these 2 options and the other 2 you had to pick from is that things have taken a defensive turn on your side, and you can't go all out offensive. me blocking will protect
me from Abels C.HP AND wheel kick, and jumping up will protect me from TT

you have to pay attention to what that Abel is doing, because you don't want to unleash all of your wake up potential
at the beginning of the match. If that Abel is paying attention to what your doing, he'll catch on, and maybe won't pursue you as much, which could be a good thing, but if your stuck on being all out offensive (like me if I kept using EX counter, and EX tatsu) he'll start baiting out your moves so he can punish them. So you have to play by ear. they say, w/e ain't broke don't fix it right? so unless your opponent starts beating out BOTH your initial 50/50 mixup game options on wake up, don't show your 3rd option, because it's not necessary.

I hope this helps. This could go way deeper than this, but from my experience, I could usually end a match before I decide
I have to block lol.

Jug I been said this a WHILE back lol. But I think it'll help to have it all lined up like that with clear examples. I bet you can even boil most of Akuma's so called vortex options down to the same 50/50.

THIS IS TO KY ABOUT SOME OF YOUR THING WE CAN DO TO GET BETTER

Grudge/rival matches: (Grudge) Goes to the player that had the longest win streak in any station who had a win streak longer than 5 or greater who just lost at his station.(Rival) The person who has the most win at each station.Station C can ask the player with the most wins in station B for a rival match and if player C beats player B they Switch spot and the same goes for player B to player A. This will start the Rivalry between the 2 players making them work to get back to where they know they should be LoL.

Jug I been said this a WHILE back lol. But I think it'll help to have it all lined up like that with clear examples. I bet you can even boil most of Akuma's so called vortex options down to the same 50/50.

really? when I liked to read what you posted haha!

but I could actually boil down one akuma vortex: His Demon Flip Vortex.

AKUMA: established wake up game: p follow up from demon flip or dive kick / grab follow up from demon flip
GOUKEN'S COUNTER: block high / back dash (jumping up to avoid the grab would be bad because he
can punish u as you come down)

It usually stops here with AKUMA'S, but if he wants to take it further lol:

AKUMA'S COUNTER: low sweep after demonflip (will punish back dash and high block)
GOUKEN'S COUNTER: block low and punish / low counter or EX tatsu
AKUMA'S COUNTER: does demon flip, whiffs throw follow up to land safe (so he can bait ex tatsu
and counter and punish / or throw you while you try to block
GOUKEN'S COUNTER: MASH THROW! LOL (you either throw him or you tech his throw, or he techs your
throw lol)
AKUMA'S COUNTER: does cross up air tatsu (demon flip is takin out as an option now)
GOUKEN'S COUNTER: Block in the other direction / do high counter hoping it auto corrects and
dash palm doesn't come out

If the akuma player even takes it that far, he's really good and should you should be scared!
If he's smart he start to use all of those options randomly, then it's a fully established guessing game
\

Yeah Jug, except it's really not a 50/50...if it were a 50/50 the party who got the knockdown wouldn't be at the advantage, when you think about it. At worst the attacker is at a 67/33 advantage. To me, there is more than 'throw, meaty, block' as attacking options...as you have said, which makes sense. The reason I am good at this game is because I understand the knockdown game and realize how important having a knockdown is...if I knock you down and I have 5% hp left and my opponent has 100%, I am still confident I will win the match. Upon knockdown you have the ability to condition your opponent to provide a particular response to your action, and then change your actions to be safer accordingly.

When I knock someone down I have the following options: Walk up and crouch, walk up and charge focus, build meter via tap/dash punch, throw, headbutt, block, meaty, empty jump in, safe jumping roundhouse, whiffed normal into throw.

The important point here is that I know what I am going to do, and my opponent has no idea. He has to guess from x number of options, which already puts me at a very large advantage. He then has to consider his own options, all in the fraction of a second if he quick-getups, or about a second if he doesn't tech the knockdown. Eventually that one knockdown gives me a ridiculous mindgame, and in the case of a weak player, will throw them off their game completely. Even if he can see some of my moves coming (such as jumping in, focus attack, etc) he still has to think about what will come afterward.

Now onto my attack options on knockdown.

Walk up crouch: If I walk up crouch I am doing two things. I am trying to get my opponent to think I will ex headbutt their wakeup and score another knockdown (or throw, which is almost the same thing). I am trying to condition my opponent that I will block and do nothing, which will allow me to punish a reversal. Things to consider: If I wakeup headbutt the only thing that will beat me is blocking and following up with a punish. I beat out wakeup SRK and wakeup throw, and only lose out to wakeup block. Most of you don't punish very well, and if I have a life lead, the chip damage ex headbutt would do makes me comfortable doing this. 67/33.

If I simply walk up and do nothing, I punish any reversal HARD, can tech a throw if I see it, and do not lose out to a block. Another option I have is walking back just before wakeup, crouching, and c.mp->dash straight for ~230 damage to punish a baited throw...just because you guessed wrong.

Second option: Walk up focus. If I focus, I will 90% of the time backdash, which puts me at an advantage. The only thing that can really punish this is an option select wakeup (very few if any exist) and a reversal SRK IF I time my backdash wrong. I have now put into your head that I MAY hold focus attack and crumple for huge damage, or I will just backdash and be able to punish a reversal attempt, or I can do nothing and reset position. Again, huge advantage me.

Just like Jug, I have this thought process every match I play. I consider my opponents options, and select my own course of action based on 1) player tendencies, 2) how much of an advantage I have in that particular situation, and 3) what I have already used this match.

Like I have been saying, some of you guys have some pretty ridiculous execution and combos but really lack the foundation of the game: pressing on knockdown, and staying safe on wakeup. Easier said than done, of course...but it is essential to becoming a great player.

I am not scared when any of you knock me down. Not at all. Jug is the only exception, and it is why he is a great player. Jeff has some superhuman ability to make me guess wrong as well, but who can be scared of Honda anyway? :p If you are not pressing an advantage when you score a knockdown, you are playing the game wrong. Chipping with a fireball from mid screen or full screen is fine and dandy, but it feels like no one knows the proper range to be doing so while keeping your positional advantage.

Homework for this week: Make me fear you when I'm laying on my ass.

Great writeup Jug, hopefully I echo'd some sentiment while giving a few different examples and a different viewpoint. If you guys wanna rep the area hard when SSF4 releases, learn the fundamentals and work from there. Being flashy is cool and all but won't get you anywhere but the losers bracket. Risk vs. Reward! Never forget it!

thats cool tony and thx for reading my post, I don't think anyone else did besides kowtow lol
but what I was saying is was more geared toward to consider after you, the player gets knocked down.

I insist that wake up game is 50/50, cause only 1 out of 2 guesses (that is if you have to guess because
you can't read your opponent) will relieve u of being a victim. The thing is you got to figure out what those
2 guesses are based on what what you know about the match up and information you gather while playing.
lets take your 1st wake-up option for example:

the first time I see you do it, my wake up options change immediately, so the next time I see you crouch
near me after you knock me down (lets say I was using Ryu) U'd leave me with no choice but to block,
or to go for the throw break, because a good ryu would realize that his shouryu got beat the first time he
tried to get out of wake up game. So the next time you crouch near me, no shouryu's lol, just throw breaks
and blocking.

But then again, my whole thing is to simplify the whole ordeal so I can have a better chance of getting you
off of me. If I know my opponent has a certain of way of masking his wake up game to seem like he's gonna do something when he's really not or gonna do something completely different, thats when you have to really pay attention and look for patterns or just basically reacting to things.

Like back your option 1: if you could easily use that to mask you using option 2. initially my options are
what I said earlier, but as soon as I see you focus attack my 2 options change, because there is only 2
things you can do from that position (as you so said, though are more things you could do lol): let it rip
or back dash. so my options on wake up go from blocking or throwing/throwbreaking to me back dashing
or just blocking. it could get deeper, to like 67/33 (like say you timed your FA to hit me after I back dash)
but stuff like that will only happen in certain situations, like if you got me cornered, but even in that situation, you could boil it down to 50/50. I'm saying your 2 options just change, you don't gain a 3rd
option to choose from, you just choose between the most appropriate options depending on the situation. now if you had me in the corner doing that, thats when doing a reversal move or blocking would come into play. I'd have to eliminate the back dashing option because it wouldn't work in the corner, as your FA would
more than likely hit. So if your gonna go for FA, I'll reversal. If your gonna backdash, I'll just stay put and
hold down-back lol

It's really my take on 1 of the hard-to-explain-things one has to know in order to be good at 2d fighters lol.
Justin wong, Daigo, and every other japanese player would probably have a whole different take on things.
I really wonder what is to.... hmmmm.....

those are some long ass posts and definitely stuff i gotta think about. honestly i just do what feels right, i don't even go that much in depth into thinking. that's probably why i don't really get much better than i am now.

and i know how to make BBCS work for both configurations. when you set up the buttons it's like this:
button 1 - lp
button 2 - mp
button 3 - hp
button 4 - lk

it's in sf terms on the stick so it's easy not to mess it up.

Like back your option 1: if you could easily use that to mask you using option 2. initially my options are
what I said earlier, but as soon as I see you focus attack my 2 options change, because there is only 2
things you can do from that position (as you so said, though are more things you could do lol): let it rip
or back dash. so my options on wake up go from blocking or throwing/throwbreaking to me back dashing
or just blocking. it could get deeper, to like 67/33 (like say you timed your FA to hit me after I back dash)
but stuff like that will only happen in certain situations, like if you got me cornered, but even in that situation, you could boil it down to 50/50. I'm saying your 2 options just change, you don't gain a 3rd
option to choose from, you just choose between the most appropriate options depending on the situation. now if you had me in the corner doing that, thats when doing a reversal move or blocking would come into play. I'd have to eliminate the back dashing option because it wouldn't work in the corner, as your FA would
more than likely hit. So if your gonna go for FA, I'll reversal. If your gonna backdash, I'll just stay put and
hold down-back lol

This is exactly what i was going to say to back up your 50/50 theory. No matter what happens you can either block, or reversal. What they do entirely makes up your decision. Jumping in on someone waking up with a meaty attack that isn't a cross up does not seem like a strong strategy to me at all. The one waking up only has to know to block the jump in, and then react accordingly. In my experience 75% of the time it's just another block string. The 25% they go straight from jump in > throw. Spotting a tick throw in that situation isn't difficult either, the option select throw only helps your odds in a jump in situation.

The thing that scares me the most is when i get knocked down, untechable, and i have the opponent distracts me with moves before i get up, and then hits me with something completely unexpected. Tony P does this the most, as do most Balrogs with the fancy dash punch dance they do after they knock somebody down. Rufus also is terrifying when he's spamming dive kicks before you wake up. I find it so much for difficult to react accordingly with a flurry of moves in front of me. It's hard to spot the true strategy in the madness.

Fei is rocking the kato! Woot!

As to the strategies discussed... Yeah. I actually do know much of this stuff. But I still have a lot of difficulty leveraging it in actual play. And I do recognize that I'm probably the worst offender of jumpin->tick,tick,tick overuse.

these are all good reads. makes you stand back and take a look at your game. made me see that one of the reasons i lose matches is because when i get that advantage( example: knockdown) i don't capitalize on it with abel's full potentail(and he has great wake-up options). its one thing im gonna start working on. sadly i wont be at game night thursday( in syracuse for work) but hopefully saturday we can work on some of these things and also if we could try to impleiment the king of machine or something like that into our group i think that would be cool.

Hey guys, I'm gonna weigh in on all this sometime soon. I've got a response typed up but I'm still contemplating some things.

Here's a quicky for Kyle -

Some semi-related food for thought - Abel is fucking scary when he has you knocked down, mainly because if you guess wrong he can do big damage which leads to ANOTHER untechable knockdown. This makes players want to get the hell alway from Abel, and people generally try to do it as "safely" as possible (example - neutral jump). Limit and punish as many of these safe options as you can. So, your job is to get them to feel like they have no other option but to reversal when you knock them down.
This means your overall goal against say, Ryu, is to bait an uppercut.

If you manage to do that, the punisher you do (some combo to ultra or falling sky) not only leads to huge damage but also another untechable knockdown, plus they are mind fucked. In other words, if you can bait an uppercut they cant FADC, you should win that round.

Make that your focus! Of course this goal changes from matchup to matchup.

Back