Can you actually spot a rage quitter?

pragmaticleas

[08] Mercenary
How do you know if it is a genuine connection problem or a rage quit? I play on PSN with 4+ bars by the way, and have gotten quite a lot of disconnections in matches today (1/3 or 1/2 of the matches). Is there anything I could do to reduce the frequency of or check to understand the reason for disconnections during matches?

How do you even rage quit? I can only find an option with some negative consequences when I press start during a match. Do people choose that or do they actually unplug or reset their modem?

it's easy to spot a rage quitter because

1: they are losing
2: their character stops performing any action a few moments before the match disconnects

people normally don't like, either losing because they are concerned with their stats, or they are losing in a certain way that annoys them. some people exit the match, turn off their PS3, or exit the game.

When playing Ranked, I can usually tell if a person is going to quit based on a combination of things. Rank, percentage, the actual number of wins they have, and how they actually play.

If somebody has over 90%, over 500 wins, and are anything but a maxed or near maxed A1, they are probably going to rage quit, because everytime they rage quit their rank goes down a bit.

If you encounter someone with over 90% and a lot of wins and they play like a scrub, they are probably going to rage quit.

It's really sad how some people in ranked are "frauds" with fake win percentages, living in their little world where their fake 90+% means something to them.

The best feeling is when I encounter someone in ranked who has a high win % and who is on a big win streak, and cause them to rage quit. They lose their win streak when they do that, so I always send them a message saying "bye bye win streak :)", you should see how they flip out after that and send me so much hate mail. lol

I love SCV online. :)

It's really sad how some people in ranked are "frauds" with fake win percentages, living in their little world where their fake 90+% means something to them.

Even sadder than why you'd even care about their win percentages?

The best feeling is when I encounter someone in ranked who has a high win % and who is on a big win streak, and cause them to rage quit. They lose their win streak when they do that, so I always send them a message saying "bye bye win streak :)", you should see how they flip out after that and send me so much hate mail. lol

I'm sorry, but this just sounds so egotistical. You may say that you find it "funny" or "amusing" when they rage. When in fact, seeing people rage quit is probably half of the reason you even play Ranked. Let's not dilute ourselves here into thinking you're a good guy. You like seeing people get upset, because it's funny, you encourage it, that's why you fight so hard and put so many hours in playing Ranked.

Sorry, but it just seems like you're the type of guy who incites drama, and isn't the victim of it.

Even sadder than why you'd even care about their win percentages?

I'm sorry, but this just sounds so egotistical. You may say that you find it "funny" or "amusing" when they rage. When in fact, seeing people rage quit is probably half of the reason you even play Ranked. Let's not dilute ourselves here into thinking you're a good guy. You like seeing people get upset, because it's funny, you encourage it, that's why you fight so hard and put so many hours in playing Ranked.

Sorry, but it just seems like you're the type of guy who incites drama, and isn't the victim of it.
I do care about win percentages, its what I feel best helps keep online competitive.

You're right I am egotistical, don't like it? Too bad. It's part of my competitive nature and a reason that I'm not afraid to smacktalk somebody by telling them that I'm better than them at the game. And indeed it does bring a smile to my face everytime I cause some scrub to ragequit.

And who are you anyways? Don't assume things about me if you don't know me. I play Ranked because it's competitive and a good way to train without having to wait in line for somebody else to play.

It's funny that you're saying I incite drama, when it's obviously you that is attempting to call me out and start shit.

You're right I am egotistical, don't like it? Too bad. It's part of my competitive nature and a reason that I'm not afraid to smacktalk

No the sad thing is that your "egotistical" over just being good at one fighting game out of many. You're not a competitive Tekken player, or a BlazBlue player, or a Dead or Alive player, you're just a regular guy like everybody else, with a controller.

It's funny that you're saying I incite drama, when it's obviously you that is attempting to call me out and start shit.

I'm so sorry you took offense to my response of the statement (that you posted first) and it was not to your liking. And being competitive has nothing to do with it, if you're being a jerk to people online, well you're just a jerk online then. Just because you can beat a lot of people in one fighting game doesn't justify negative behavior, it just adds to the immaturity.

No the sad thing is that your "egotistical" over just being good at one fighting game out of many. You're not a competitive Tekken player, or a BlazBlue player, or a Dead or Alive player, you're just a regular guy like everybody else, with a controller.

I'm so sorry you took offense to my response of the statement (that you posted first) and it was not to your liking. And being competitive has nothing to do with it, if you're being a jerk to people online, well you're just a jerk online then. Just because you can beat a lot of people in one fighting game doesn't justify negative behavior, it just adds to the immaturity.
So it's sad to have a hobby and strive to be competitive and one of the best at it? I must be one sad puppy then! I couldn't give less of a shit about those other games you mentioned. I'm here for SC and SC only. And I may just be a guy with a controller, but I'm a guy with a controller that has a passion for this game and has traveled dozens of times over the past 7+ years to tournaments around the country for it. Yup, I'm just a regular guy with a controller like everybody else!

Seriously, I respect people who show respect back. If someone ragequits on me I have no obligation to show respect to them. And I'll gladly enjoy being a jerk to them.

Oof plays with cubes.

I dont take happiness in Rage Quitters. I take happiness in destrying someone with Style And Skill, and after I dominate them, they say GG.

This is how you promote a healthy scene.

BTW other FGs dont matter when compared to SC fyi.

You're right I am egotistical, don't like it? Too bad. It's part of my competitive nature and a reason that I'm not afraid to smacktalk somebody by telling them that I'm better than them at the game.

Yo... you know you can be competitive without being egotistical, right? Just wanted to point that out.

As for the topic of rage quitters. If they rage they rage. I don't see the humor. If anything it's just wasted time trying to find another match. But that's just me I guess.

Dunno why I'm wading into this but just dropped in to say: you're missing the point. He's not going round finding people to make miserable. He's identifying players who have enough "ego", as you put it, to try to maintain their online win percentage (which is their way of feeling better than other people) to stay high by quitting when they lose.

We are talking about the kind of person who cares so much about their winning percentage that they will deny another player the chance to improve their own percentage just because they think their own percentage matters more.

For what it's worth I couldn't care less about win percentage and I find the whole thing hilarious. But you seem to be pointing fingers at the wrong guy here. Rage quitters like OOF described, who have high percentages even though they clearly quit (and thereby cheat other players) to maintain them, are not the kinds of people who are worth defending. They are deeply sad people and I can really see no defence for this kind of selfishness.

OOF "fights so hard and puts in so many hours" because he has a constant desire to improve, and if ragequitters get upset at their oh-so-precious winning percentage being threatened, I'm not sure why you would care so much.

In my opinion ppl with a 90% win rate seems to be a RQer almost immediately, I could be wrong about that assumption, but in my experience its been that way since I picked up this game. Its funny to poke fun at some RQers because apparently they couldnt handle someone better and personally just a friendly "GG :D" is a good way to see if they get very salty which in turn is hilarious and its a good way for them to stay away from you and at least not waste your time.

You're not a competitive Tekken player, or a BlazBlue player, or a Dead or Alive player, you're just a regular guy like everybody else, with a controller.

He doesn't have to be. Being "perfect" in one game is more than enough time spend on a fighter.
Also using Competitive and Dead or Alive in a sentence is lol.

Anyway, RQ's are annoying and ragequitters should be graceful that I'm not a millionair or a hacker because I could hack the accounts of every single low-life that rage-quittes because of precious W/L ratio's. Of I would I.P track and travel across the globe smashing there consoles with a baseball bat if I had enough money to do so.

It's not just SC that has that problem though, It happened on any game, any console, any country, any gametype, anywhere.

Yo... you know you can be competitive without being egotistical, right? Just wanted to point that out.
To each their own and I'm sure everyone has their own philosophies on the matter, but in my opinion confidence and ego go hand in hand for the most part. And when it comes down to being competitive, I personally feel that having confidence and ego make things more interesting. So while I agree that someone can be competitive without being confident in themselves or egotistical, that type of thing is not my style and just seems boring to me, especially when it comes to a competitive hobby that I put so much time and effort into being good at.

Everyone acts like having an ego is a bad thing. And while it can be if it causes people to feel that they are entitled to forge a false display of their self percieved skill (i.e. ragequitting to maintain a high win %), I personally I find nothing wrong with having one and it doesn't offend me to see someone with an ego. If anything it makes me strive to kick their ass at SC and bring them down a notch. And that my friend is one of the reasons I love competitive hobbies like SC. :)

So while I agree that someone can be competitive without being confident in themselves or egotistical, that type of thing is not my style and just seems boring to me, especially when it comes to a competitive hobby that I put so much time and effort into being good at.

I must disagree at this. You pretty much can't be competitive without some confident or ego. without some you will get trampled on with just pure mind games.

Everyone acts like having an ego is a bad thing. And while it can be if it causes people to feel that they are entitled to forge a false display of their self percieved skill (i.e. ragequitting to maintain a high win %), I personally I find nothing wrong with having one and it doesn't offend me to see someone with an ego. If anything it makes me strive to kick their ass at SC and bring them down a notch. And that my friend is one of the reasons I love competitive hobbies like SC. :)

Having a ego and being a dickwad are 2 different things.

I must disagree at this. You pretty much can't be competitive without some confident or ego.
Having a strong drive to win qualifies as being competitive. So someone can be competitive yet have no confidence in themselves or ego, so long as they have that will to Win.

How do you know if it is a genuine connection problem or a rage quit? I play on PSN with 4+ bars by the way, and have gotten quite a lot of disconnections in matches today (1/3 or 1/2 of the matches). Is there anything I could do to reduce the frequency of or check to understand the reason for disconnections during matches?

How do you even rage quit? I can only find an option with some negative consequences when I press start during a match. Do people choose that or do they actually unplug or reset their modem?

Aside from the points everyone else has made- theres also the issue of lag and spam.

If a game is so laggy that its not worth it- then I would Lag Quit.
If a game is spammy- then I'd Rage Quit.

IMO- SC is supposed to be a game that one can enjoy. And frankly I don't want to be going through a series of game controllers simply because of a frakked up connection - which was the case for me in sc4 because the net at times was awful..

If on the other hand its all about the connection then its either to do with the distance or if someone has a mic on, or is downloading or a crappy NAT Type. Wired Games are better Wireless can cause probs more - imo.

I'm not condoning Rage Quitting but I do think Lag and continuous spam are viable reasons to quit a game.

Aside from the points everyone else has made- theres also the issue of lag and spam.

If a game is so laggy that its not worth it- then I would Lag Quit.
If a game is spammy- then I'd Rage Quit.
I'm not condoning Rage Quitting but I do think Lag and continuous spam are viable reasons to quit a game.
But spam is the best teacher you can get. You are only denying yourself to improve when you quit these matches.

Back