CaS Challenge P2: Steampunk!

brucege

[14] Master
For those new to the CaS challenge, I'm writing character profiles, and your job is to create and share your vision of that profile. The prize on the table is acknowledgement of your artistic prowess, your superior intellect, and your invaluable contribution to the betterment of mankind. Now that the stakes are clear, let the tournament begin.

STEAMPUNK ENGINEER

-This precocious girl graduated from the college with four degrees in engineering and steam technology at the respectable age of 15.
-She's the head engineer of Wolfkrone, having acquired worldwide acclaim for her designs in both the civilian world, like the Wolfkrone Monument, and the military world, particularly for her flying machines.
-She has extreme pride and confidence in her inventions, and she is always the first to test them. As a result, she's respected and feared as an ace pilot among both her allies and enemies.
-Her dream, like many of her peers, is to build a rocket to take mankind to the moon, but having reached the limits of steam tech, she's forced to frantically pursue alternative energy resources.
-As she flies around the workshop, throwing papers, wrenches, and screws everywhere, her unfortunate subordinates are left to clean up after her thanklessly.
-She writes and builds ceaselessly, with a pen on her ear, a sandwich in her mouth, and a mug of ale in her lap.
-While she isn't particularly rude or bossy, she just doesn't have room in her head to give a damn about society, the world, or anything not made of gears and bolts.
-However, her smile, usually smeared with engine oil, is always cheerful, especially as she sets off the occasional steam grenade or loose pressure valve on her hapless subordinates.
-Despite her antics and idiosyncrasies, her subordinates all love the young engineer for her optimistic outlook and her childlike innocence.

Hope you don't mind if I take your idea and suggest it to a number of other forums where CaS characters are being posted? With original descriptions and the like mind you with links here to see how the origin of the idea came to be. Really like the idea and wish to see people jump on board with it.

From psychotic pretty-boy princes to young female steampunk engineers eh? Well then it look's like I'll to have crank up the creativity setting on my mind into high gear. Expect my post sometime tomorrow.

@kyrt: Link or copy as much as you like. It would be my honor. Besides CaS's, if you have any profiles you'd like to share, I'd love to hear them.

@Lord_Alondite: I look forward to it.

Here's mine. Goggles and gears are pretty much required, so don't feel guilty if you have to use them.

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_3-cropped (3).png

Gotta have a utility belt, right?
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_2-cropped (2).png

The sun seems like something an engineer like her would look to for inspiration. Plus, angular and geometric designs express her straightforward and direct personality.
SOULCALIBUR V-cropped (2).png

Pilots love decals and cats. Especially red ones.

Love or hate, bring it on.

Alright, here's my attempt.

005.png

I mostly based her outfit on a bastardized idea of Victorian fashion. It's purposefully masculine, to fit in with the "working girl" look. Skirts and frills would just get in the way of machinery. Thick leather gloves protect her hands, and leather chaps keep her legs safe.

001.png

Along with the chaps, I gave her a pair of leather work boots. They're boring, but it fits in with the aesthetic, I think. Along with the gloves, they show that her limbs are usually around dangerous contraptions, and that she needs to keep them safe at all times.

003.png

I had some fun figuring the "tattoos" out. One of the lines in the introductory post mentioned her smile usually being coated with oil. I couldn't help but toss that in. Also, an explaination for the hat: I couldn't have steampunk without cogs and bolts, and I wanted to avoid giving her cybernetic arms. So instead, I made her hat a cyborg.It's the next generation of headwear.

004.png

Since I don't remember the Wolfkrone symbol worth a damn, I gave her a griffin-based emblem to match Hilde's armour aesthetic. Also visible, her weapons: Gaudy gold to match the general look of stereotypical steampunk machines. As for why I chose Cervantes...

002.png

It just isn't Steampunk if somebody isn't using an unrealistic old-timey gun.

You really nailed the steampunk look! I guess I didn't really stick to my own profile lol. Creative use of the gear and bolt in the hat. The subdued color scheme is quite fitting too. Not too certain about that face tattoo though. The black makeup on mine was rather faint, but it's good enough for me.

I went for an oldschool steampunk/nerd engineer look lol
SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_11.png

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_9.png

SOULCALIBUR Ⅴ_10.png
I think that's the Wolfkrone symbol and the back of her scarf? Well i tried lol, i could have went in more detail but im pretty tired right now

Good to see another challenge up; I think they're great fun!
Hope you like my submission :)
CAS challenge girl.jpg

I gave her blacked makeup cheeks to look like coal dust and grimey soot. Her goggles are for the flying machines

Steampunk isn't really my style, but I'll give a try, I just want to make her in her working suit, I choose Tira's Azi Dahaka cause it resemble a giant decorated gear ^ ^

Steampunk_Girl_01.png

Steampunk_Girl_02.png

Steampunk_Girl_03.png

hope you like it, maybe not 100% steampunk, but......whatever XD

Mika (Actual version got one more sticker on the pants,but overall that's the deal. ideal stage Free Imperial City. Original version got -black oil- dirty face,but i thinked the look was'nt so soulcaliburish,so i removed it. Oh, style Dampierre, when A+G give the random mechanical problem animation is some kind of awesomeness)

soulcalibur3.png

soulcaliburk.png
soulcalibur1.png
soulcalibur2g.png

Here she is, with some scars from her failed iventions, her gloves full of oil, and her next project in the hand.

Proposal: Make a poll to choose the best one. Then the "winner" rwites the profile in the next challenge.

iQpzT.jpg

YCFm7.jpg

H3dT2.jpg

rEfaQ.jpg

Proposal: Make a poll to choose the best one. Then the "winner" rwites the profile in the next challenge.

May be a good idea, but I prefere that is brucege to mantain the profiles of the challenges....or at least make it in my place if I'll goin to win one XD

by the way....nice work Gatsu, as always ^ ^

Well this is convenient. I already had an engineer girl made. One of the few who survived the transition from SCIV to SCV, her name is Cali.

cali4.jpg

Full body shot:

cali6.jpg

Close up:

Cali1.jpg

The cog shield was a tremendous pain in the arse and it does occasionally clip but for the most part it looks fine. The grease on her face is slightly faded and kept away from her lips, eyes, etc. because it is the new Nivea cosmetic engine grease...obviously. Goggles are mandatory, ridiculous hair includes Loreal engine grease conditioner for that added grubbiness. Topped off with a suitably ironic yet nonetheless endearing, "It's not easy being beautiful!" victory cry.

Edit: Put a non-spoiler pic up... it seems she was too well hidden.

Hey there guys I'm back with my engineer, check her out. I present to you...

Maria Wissenschaft!
mariawissenschaft.jpg

I did the best that I could considering I don't really have much knowledge when it comes steampunk engineers. I gave her clothes some more rustic colors as you can see. I also used a pattern for the vest and the wrap but it can be hard see (It's Basic Pattern 12). Also hanging from her belt are a gear and a chain.

mariacloseup.jpg

I gave put two stickers on her vest to resemble pockets as an engineer should have at least several of those. I gave her a pair of goggles that she only wears when she's working. And as a substitute for oil stains on her face I gave her some makeup and then adjusted it enough to resemble bags under eyes due to constantly working on her machines instead of sleeping.

mariahair.jpg

Contrary to her engineer job Maria hates having her hair cut short. So to keep it from getting in her face and distracting her she pulls it up before she starts working on her machines.

marialeftarm.jpg
mariarightarm.jpg

And finally I did my best to get the covered in grime look by using a pattern and some stickers to simulate a oil and soot look to cover the white sleeves of her shirt.

All in all I think I did a good job on her. But I want to know what you guys think of her.

@Mardrinx: Nice schoolgirl/nerd look. Emma Watson would be jealous.
@FlashHarry: I see you really took off with that pilot descriptor (pun intended.)
@Furako: An appropriately and tastefully functional wardrobe.
@Gatsu: Expected nothing less of you. Reminded me to reconsider my own profile.
@NeclordX: Best depiction of the engineer's quirky and mischievous disposition.
@Aeon014: Fancy, but not too fancy. Props.

My threads won't be polling. The archetype challenges is intended to encourage newbies like myself to post their works and exchange ideas with both peers and pros. Inspiration and evaluation, not judgment, is key. However, I do support the idea of somebody else starting a separate thread in the spirit of competition.

Bloody good work, as usual. Looks like I'll have to set aside some of my combo practice time for creation workshop to implement all these new ideas.

Oh, and in case you were wondering where I got all my ideas for the archetypes:
http://creebobby.com/timestable.html

I'll leave plenty of time for more submissions before I post the next archetype. Until then, I would much appreciate help making the next profile. If you do have any ideas, please private message me so you don't ruin it for everyone. For simplicity and fairness's sake, please leave the writing and decision to me.

Back