CaS Mechanics: SC6 vs. SC5

brucege

[14] Master
Let's take down notes on the differences between CaS mechanics in SC6 compared to SC5. This will help all us SC veterans get caught up on the new CaS system.
*For those of you new to CaS, you may not find this useful immediately. Instead, I'd recommend that you brush up on the basics on the technique thread here.

I'll start with these:

1. In SC5, you had a limit of 6 motif stickers, so the last 2 slots were only for numbers and stuff. In SC6, you can use whatever sticker, whenever you want. Up to 8 of course.

2. In SC5, stickers stacked left to right. In other words, if you put a sticker in slot 1 (far left), it would be covered up by a sticker in slot 4 (far right). In SC6, stickers stack right to left (reverse order).

3. In SC5, you could place stickers by view. In SC6, you have the same option, except now you place the numbers by a discrete number system. The new system is much more difficult to use, but once you get the hang of the "rotate vertical" and "rotate horizontal" sliders, you can pretty much achieve the same effect. Also, it's easier to share formulas now since you have actual numbers.

4. In SC5, certain pieces of equipment (particularly plate armor or silks) had a default "shine color" or lighting bias. You could only remove this shine by doing "color all." You could also use this technique to produce subtle color effects on shiny equipment. In SC6, this is completely gone (for better or for worse).

5. In SC5, when placing stickers on upper body equipment, you had separate options for to place on "upper body" or "entire body." "Entire body" allowed you to get much large stickers. In SC6, "entire body" option is gone, but the stickers can still be stretched (when using "rotation" mode) to the same maximum sizes in the SC5's "entire body" option. One slight problem is that you can no longer get the same degree of accuracy in placement as you could have in SC5.

6. SpecEq. What a fucking disaster. They took out the ribbon, scroll, ant antlers, feathers of strength, raccoon tail, the mini-hat, and much more. Fuck.

7. SpecEq manipulation is much better in SC6 compared to SC5. You can take SpecEq and make them like fucking huge compared to SC5. This makes individual SpecEq much more versatile in SC6. Unfortunately, this doesn't really compensate for the severe lack of SpecEq in SC6.

8. In SC5, you couldn't use stickers on SC main characters or adjust skin/eye color. In SC6, apparently they're fully customizable (outside of body proportions).

Good post. I'm a vetaran creator although I'm new to the forum. So I'm very familiar with the scv system despite not having been part of the CaS comminity here for scv.

One thing I've noticed is that some of the the stickers and tattoos look very washed out and poorly rendered, even compared to scv. Was using some reddish tattoos on my setsuka CaS earlier and they looked pretty bad when applied to clothes - hoping it's not the case on all clothes.

Not liking the perspective or rotation technique change. The rotation technique leaves some of the stickers or tattoos strangely elongated and the perspective technique has them looking more correct but with placement limitations and an invisible 'seam' through the middle of the character's body which cuts off the design you're trying to place. Very weird and buggy.

Let's take down notes on the differences between CaS mechanics in SC6 compared to SC5. This will help all us SC veterans get caught up on the new CaS system.
*For those of you new to CaS, you may not find this useful immediately. Instead, I'd recommend that you brush up on the basics on the technique thread here.

I'll start with these:

1. In SC5, you had a limit of 6 motif stickers, so the last 2 slots were only for numbers and stuff. In SC6, you can use whatever sticker, whenever you want. Up to 8 of course.

2. In SC5, stickers stacked left to right. In other words, if you put a sticker in slot 1 (far left), it would be covered up by a sticker in slot 4 (far right). In SC6, stickers stack right to left (reverse order).

3. In SC5, you could place stickers by view. In SC6, you have the same option, except now you place the numbers by a discrete number system. The new system is much more difficult to use, but once you get the hang of the "rotate vertical" and "rotate horizontal" sliders, you can pretty much achieve the same effect. Also, it's easier to share formulas now since you have actual numbers.

4. In SC5, certain pieces of equipment (particularly plate armor or silks) had a default "shine color" or lighting bias. You could only remove this shine by doing "color all." You could also use this technique to produce subtle color effects on shiny equipment. In SC6, this is completely gone (for better or for worse).

5. In SC5, when placing stickers on upper body equipment, you had separate options for to place on "upper body" or "entire body." "Entire body" allowed you to get much large stickers. In SC6, "entire body" option is gone, but the stickers can still be stretched (when using "rotation" mode) to the same maximum sizes in the SC5's "entire body" option. One slight problem is that you can no longer get the same degree of accuracy in placement as you could have in SC5.

6. SpecEq. What a fucking disaster. They took out the ribbon, scroll, ant antlers, feathers of strength, raccoon tail, the mini-hat, and much more. Fuck.

7. SpecEq manipulation is much better in SC6 compared to SC5. You can take SpecEq and make them like fucking huge compared to SC5. This makes individual SpecEq much more versatile in SC6. Unfortunately, this doesn't really compensate for the severe lack of SpecEq in SC6.

8. In SC5, you couldn't use stickers on SC main characters or adjust skin/eye color. In SC6, apparently they're fully customizable (outside of body proportions).
Man..... this is kind of frustrating .... I feel like I am in limbo waiting for things to unlock...waiting for dlc to be available....
.....I feel like anything I make now is incomplete..... some new things are cool, I am sure I will get use to it, but right now I am seeing the problems not the benefits. I need to be more optimistic.
One problem though.... stickers don’t match the skin as well.... I can work around it, but it’s annoying, can’t just match the #s anymore .... and even if the color is close it doesn’t look like the skin... looks flat and like plastic...

Good info. One thing i loved: the numerical system for by-view stickers. God, that thing was a mess to work with back in 5 without numbers. I'm a CaS old-timer here too so, thanks for letting us know of the changes in 6.

The racoon tail is still in the game but not as free accessory. If you créate a furry a demihuman with bunny ears, you can pick the tail and the only two options are the cat tail, and the racoon tail. Kind of curious that there is no rabbit tail for the rabit race only cat and racoon.

May be they Will add it as ítem at some point, lets wish for that. They don't even need to program it, its already there. Racoon tail was really helpful for making fur parts.

Just to add some random ones

+ stickers/customization on official chars body and pieces

+ great selection of weapons/styles (wich will improve with dlc). Have Geralt's style is great. I wish we could use npc lizardmen style too though

+ there's great compatibility between costume parts, case of conflict are much more rare

+ easier for noobs make decent looking stuff

+ races are useful

- They fucked up bad color saturation, lowest saturation in particular

- beside the criminal cut, the selection is often full retard... like you fon't have a fucking normal leather belt, but the horse head it's there

- the faces are ever the same, wish they added 3/5 new ones

- wish races allow more customization, some are pretty locked

+ there's great compatibility between costume parts, case of conflict are much more rare

With so few parts, they better be...........Agree that some pieces that conflicted with everything are better now, but seems a lot of conflicts between official 1P parts and standard CaS items, especially between upper body gear and waist items. Hate that so much official leg gear comes pre-made with footwear; Busted up into separate pieces would create many more options

Sticker placement will take some getting used to

New non-official parts (smith's gear, ancient tribal gear) are pretty good

But there are still lot of weird conflicts. Like there is a chest piece (Golden knight and the Green Japanese one) that you can put over Gr0h jacket. But you can't put the Steel armor piece (that is really no different to the two I mentioned) over it for some reason.

There are also really bizzarre limitations on races... like nonsense limitations

Malfested (red eyes guys) get for the skin the "censorship" table of colors... like you can't access to yellowish/brown skin tones

Green ogres can't get hairs, while npc have ogres with hair without problem

You can't put stickers on skeletons

Just some i found

can't put stickers on the skeletons? means i can't put sticker on Revenant as if he has cracked bone on his skull or chest

Back