Cervantes General Discussion

C
One of his old throws, not curse of the ancient mariner, is unlisted, this is where he stabs the opponent with both swords lifts them from off the ground then pulls the two swords away from.

His other throws are still there but do standard damage.
Can you tell me the command of this unlisted throw please ?
And also does anyone know a way to utilize his Soul Charge. It's very hard to get close to to the opponent with him. He doesn't any sucking move with plus frame. I often see when Cervy is in Soul Charge people just stay away from him until Soul Charge gone

For the lethal hit of the gun shots, just keep in mind that Cervantes has moves where he can fire more than one shot. For example B2 has three shots, RE A B has four shots, and you can get off 2 shots of 8A+B after a 3B launcher.

So far, it seems most of his good lethal hits seem to come from Dread Storm. His new Dread Charge stance shifts from his basic attacks have some solid mix ups and good pressure to them. I’m having trouble doing a RCC from 2A+B into a B2, so I’m wondering if there’s any better combos after the LH.

For the unlisted throw it’s 236 A+G while not in Soul Charge state.

Is this happen in a match (3 rounds) or just in a round and reset next round ?

Can I build up his gunshot count by 8a+b through the air ?

It carries over. I personally use the 3B > 8B+a > b2 combo from the reveal trailer. It gives you 3 gunshots. so the 4th combo in a match does a lethal hit.

For the lethal hit of the gun shots, just keep in mind that Cervantes has moves where he can fire more than one shot. For example B2 has three shots, RE A B has four shots, and you can get off 2 shots of 8A+B after a 3B launcher.

So far, it seems most of his good lethal hits seem to come from Dread Storm. His new Dread Charge stance shifts from his basic attacks have some solid mix ups and good pressure to them. I’m having trouble doing a RCC from 2A+B into a B2, so I’m wondering if there’s any better combos after the LH.

His CE also has 2 gunshots in it. These count as well (i've seen one of the gunshots flash in one of my matches).

2A+B(LH) > DC B > BT:B+K > 3B, This combo requires no effort to learn and does ~80 DMG

2A+B(LH) > 8A+B > 8A+B > iGDR > BT:B+K > iGDR, This is the most damaging I found (~88 DMG)

Does enyone now how to utilize his Dread Storm properly? I find using it extremly awkward

Last edited:
Cervantes' combo game is pretty dang strong. I went and compiled a list of his natural strings and combo starters.
Natural hit strings
:A::A:- 26 Damage
:B::B: - 22 Damage
:6::(B)::B: -56 Damage
:6::(B)::A::+::B: - 73 Damage
SC:3::B::B: - 66 Damage
SC :1::K::B::B: - 64 Damage
SC:3::(3):or:9::(9)::B::B: - 72 Damage

Counter hit strings
CH :6::A::B: - 46 Damage
CH :B::B::B: - 60 Damage
CH :6::B::B: - 46 Damage
CH:4::B::K: - 34 Damage
CH:4::K::K: - 39 Damage
CH:2::(2): or :8::(8)::A::A: - 44 Damage
SC CH :B::B::B::B: - 70 Damage

Combo starters
:1::a-small::B: :B: (on last hit only)
CH:4::A:or:4::(A):
WR :A:
:b-small::A:
:3::B:

against downed opponent:1::(B):
WR :B:
jump:B:
:4::K::K::B::+::K: (last hit only)
:A::+::B:
CH :B::+::K:
:2::(B)::+::(K): (Quake hit only)
:1::B::+::K:
:4::B::+::K:
:(8)::(B)::+::(K):
BT:B::+::K:
CH:2::(2):or:8::(8)::A::A:
CH:2::(2):or:8::(8)::A::A: (2nd hit only)
:2::(2):or:8::(8)::A::B: (Last hit only)
:1::(1):or:4::(4):or:7::(7)::a-small::B:
:3::(3):or:9::(9)::B:
:2::(2):or:8::(8)::(B):
:1::(1):or:4::(4):or:7::(7)::A::+::B:or:(A)::+::(B):
:4::A::+::G:
:2::1::4:::B:
DC:B:
DC:A:
DS:A:
DS:B:
SC:B::B::B::B:
SC:3::B::B:
SC:3::(3):or:9::(9)::B::B:
LH :b-small::2:
LH :k-small::A:
LH :A::+::B:
LH :2::A::+::B:
LH :2::(2): or:8::(8)::(B):
LH DC while SC'd :2:or:8::B::A:
LH DC while SC'd :2:or:8::B::K:
LH DS:A:
LH DS:K:

Last edited:
Could you post a video? I am always getting that 8wayrun throw that dose no damage
For the 8wayrun throw 66a+g it's very useful when people near wall it's an unblocks wall combo: 66a+g W! 6bb 3b 2a+b you can change 2a+b to 2b+k for more damage but sometime it's miss depend on the angle of the wall

So, running into a lot of issues when dealing out punishment. Lag makes certain moves more difficult to punish, but even when I land a CH aB I’m unable to,follow up with anything substantial.

One thing I’ve noticed is Cervantes does not have many guard breaks. Making it difficult for him to shut down REs or put in a lot of pressure. He seems somewhat limited on breaking down enemy guards and scoring a few good hits every so often.

So sometimes I get stuck in a match with only a few seconds left on the clock trying to find openings to clear out the enemy target.

One thing I’ve noticed is Cervantes does not have many guard breaks. Making it difficult for him to shut down REs or put in a lot of pressure. He seems somewhat limited on breaking down enemy guards and scoring a few good hits every so often.

So sometimes I get stuck in a match with only a few seconds left on the clock trying to find openings to clear out the enemy target.
You don't need guard breaks to deal with RE, stepping is the best option I think.

His new unbreakable throw has to be the best new addition for Cervantes. It leaves you at such advantage, that's enough to break opponents guard. I have tested 2A+B after the throw against sophitias AA and it lethal hits her, the opponent has to respect the frames and gives you free mixups.

Last edited:
So I been messing with cervy quite alot and have a good idea of what all he can do now. I am just wondering though what is the point of his Reversal Edge- K option? It does so little damage and seems to have no real use except maybe for a side switch. Am I missng anything with this move?

So I been messing with cervy quite alot and have a good idea of what all he can do now. I am just wondering though what is the point of his Reversal Edge- K option? It does so little damage and seems to have no real use except maybe for a side switch. Am I missng anything with this move?
Not every RE option is powerfull

I’ve seen a lot of people say they end combos after GDR~BT:B+K with another iGDR or 2A+B, but if you use 2B+K you can fully charge it and still combo, which does more damage. Also seems like you can slightly delay it and it will catch and stun a ukemi.

You don't need guard breaks to deal with RE, stepping is the best option I think.

His new unbreakable throw has to be the best new addition for Cervantes. It leaves you at such advantage, that's enough to break opponents guard. I have tested 2A+B after the throw against sophitias AA and it lethal hits her, the opponent has to respect the frames and gives you free mixups.
Need to correct myself, the throw gives you plus frames but not as much as I thought, the practice mode CPU just seems stupid, don't know.
But Cervantes feels extremely powerful. I am a Voldo fan boy, but actually thinking of switching back to my soul edge main

Haven’t been winning games lately which is pretty usual for me at this point. As I deal with more and more spammers and people who refuse to pay attention I’m basically locked down to a handful of moves and relying on trying to punish rather than create a strong offense.

Anyway, with my execution suspect on everything from iGDR and the slide inputs I’m wondering what are some things that are working well for you all.

Haven’t been winning games lately which is pretty usual for me at this point. As I deal with more and more spammers and people who refuse to pay attention I’m basically locked down to a handful of moves and relying on trying to punish rather than create a strong offense.

Anyway, with my execution suspect on everything from iGDR and the slide inputs I’m wondering what are some things that are working well for you all.
Haven't had the time to fully explore his stances, but they feel gimmicky, due to the long windup.
I am working mostly with AA, A6, aB, 2A+B, 3A, 66A, 66K, 2K, 2A, 3B, iGDR and his throws. Punishing and interrupting alot with aB, also interrupting with 2A and 2K, poking with A6, 2A, 2K, 2A+B, closing distance with 66A and 66K, whiff punish with 3B and iGDR.
Might be very simplistic and bare bone, but it works.

Last edited:
I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm a little new to playing SC competitively. Cervantes is a blast in training mode but I struggle in actual matches. Any tips on what his general gameplan supposed to be?

And those damn Instant GDRs, ugh I can't hit them at all consistently.

I've been getting away with rushing down. I've come across a few RE spammers here and there but is not really a big deal as they often play in patterns, enough for you to punish them accordingly. Trust me, a simple A+B !LH TS for 80+ damage is really good, or you could just bait them and sidestep.

As for moves, I can give you my favorite ones at the moment:

iGDR
AA
2A
66A
BB
A6 (Pushes back)
aB (While not as fast still a great punish)
3A (Although nerfed to the ground, still a great anti-step)
3B
B2
bK
33_99B (Forces crouch, safe, giving you mixups)
2A+B (Forces crouch)
kA (Post-Unbalanced GI gives you a !LH which guarantees a DC B, BT B+K, iGDR combo, has great damage and goes over lows)
66A+G (Endless mixups)
22_88A mixups
WS A
Throws (Same as SC5, Cervy lacks a menacing low out of his stances, therefore, you need these to enforce them into ducking to open doors to your big damage)

For the most part, Cervantes is closed quarter character, meaning you have to get in harms way in order to win. Something some characters don't need to.

My advice is to pay attention to what they are doing and punish accordingly. It is still a fresh game and it is expected to not be used to certain characters/playstyle at the moment.

Yeah, those are the moves I'm using or trying to use, but having trouble executing simple slide inputs like aB and bK as well as kA (which is tricky to do on a controller).

Back