Cervantes Match Vids

It looked like at least two times in the video, I saw the green GI flash and Yoshi cut right through it with a trollface under his helmet. One was a Cervy :B+K: and the other was an actual Guard Impact.

Thats Signia for you. But to be fair, I did the same to him with 8 A+B post GI. And he was disturbed when he got hit by the 3x igdr after he blocked my 8 A+B. XD And I quote "Expecting a dread charge stance eh? " Him: "Urgh"

Good videos. You look like a cheap copy of my Cervantes. Stop copying me and get a life you Nerd. I think you need more throws and also more 6A to supplement your cheap 2A spam. Do you even use 6A you scrub? If you are scared of 8K i think using 6A more could help. Also dont forget 8K is unsafe in this game.

Also i think you could go for a bit more aB when spaced, what does Yoshi get on max range @Signia , 4K maybe? Does he even get something? I didnt see much 1AB ch, which is weird since Signia is not really ducking a lot and preemptively attacking when you dash in to avoid mixups. I think if you space a bit better and go for 1AB at the right distance you could get more ch's.

I like that you use UB cancel into BT B+K but you should also start going UB Cancel into throw etc, otherwise its too easy to defend. UB Cancel into 2A is not really rewarding, try to force the most damaging mixups, even if its a bit more risky. Yoshis WR punishment is not too scary.

Really good vid guys, makes me wanna go back to playing SC5!

:)

@Rocktopus So, after watching your FT5 with Signia, I have to ask, why is Yoshimitsu's :4::B: GI-proof?
The move is i24 so it's not really the timing you're going for when GIing. It's one of those slow, safe moves, and beating GIs is one of the reasons to do the move.

Also i think you could go for a bit more aB when spaced, what does Yoshi get on max range @Signia , 4K maybe? Does he even get something?

He doesn't get anything at certain ranges, but 3B punishes against the move reach really far (though 44b:B probably reaches a bit further). It was few times that set that I did a short dash forward in expectation of a spaced aB to get that 3B punish. Cervy has to hit the A part at tip range and get that crazy pushback to be safe.

Plagiarism was always one of my biggest strengths :). Actually, I've never seen your gameplay until now. You are definitely no stranger to this match up based on you vs Furzy. You're right, I should use 6 A more. Sometimes I forget about its existence altogether, surely it will help against Signia's godlike zoning. Also, I'm slightly terrified of using too much aB against Signia because of 3B and the vortex mix ups it causes. He punishes it often. Your UB cancel ideas have been acknowledged and will be incorporated into future Rocktopus game-play. Thankfully, I have just mastered my "oh no I messed up an IGDR, please no don't come out dread charge B" step cancels, which could have saved so many of our kind from ringing themselves out. Now I can focus on other parts of my Cervantes.

Thanks for the input!

Also, I think it must be inspiring to see a set like this, when you and Furzy ran a ft 5 set with the same characters etc. You should get back into SCV!

Last edited:
The move is i24 so it's not really the timing you're going for when GIing. It's one of those slow, safe moves, and beating GIs is one of the reasons to do the move.
Even when I played Yoshi (He's had the move since SC3) I never really understood how to incorporate :4::B: into my Yoshi gameplay.

Oh what i also forgot: Why dont you use 8[B+K] in this matchup ?It TJs FC 3K and iMCF...imba damage near a wall, RO etc. If you have reads (2A, iMCF etc from opponent) this will give you really good reverse mindgame opportunities. You need to make iMCF riskier for Signia, and hitting 8B+K once is enough. Especially when you are against a wall it will teach opponents not to pressure you with fast 2As, lows etc. So you have a bit more freedom against a wall and can defend easier.

Also bK is a good tool from midrange against Yoshi . Its linear but people dont step much against Cervy due to 1AB. Also TJs his lows + iMCF + is a blockstun. 2A, 6A, 8A, bK, 1aB, aB use plus some throws is already annoying as fuck for Yoshi from my experience.

8A is also a jumping move you can have a look into. I like to use 7A to jump back, gain some space etc, its blockstun so you have momentum afterwards. I started using this move back when i played Maxous Alpha all the fucking time, good to avoid throws and nice on block. Fortunately Yoshi doesnt have 44bB infinite in this game anymore so its less risk to jump. A bit weird move, you need to start experimenting, most people dont even know its a blockstun jumping move, so good for tournament finishers :) One of the most underused moves imo.

I have thought of using [B+K] but I'm always afraid of using it because its slow etc, but its good when I'm cornered and I'm being pressured, so I'll experiment with it. I know 7A is an amazing move, its one of those moves I've wanted to use more, along with 2 2 B, 3 3 A and 2 [B+K] tech traps. Its a little hard for me to find strong opponents with a good connection on PSN, but I'll try adding more videos.

I have thought of using [B+K] but I'm always afraid of using it because its slow etc, but its good when I'm cornered and I'm being pressured, so I'll experiment with it. I know 7A is an amazing move, its one of those moves I've wanted to use more, along with 2 2 B, 3 3 A and 2 [B+K] tech traps. Its a little hard for me to find strong opponents with a good connection on PSN, but I'll try adding more videos.

If you dont find the time for 8B+K then start using bK,it has a much faster TJ. I'd say go for bK first :) And 6A. 8B+K can be a bit gimmicky, but if you hit it its super strong. More 6A, bK and a bit 7A will help annoying the fuck out of your opponents.

Good luck :)

wow 7A is -2? good to know

Its good to know when you play in a tourney and the opponent goes for 7A into aB shenanigans to kill you :)

Also Signia, did you experiment a bit with Yoshis 8A? The TJ/Invincibility properties of this move might be good against Rocktos 2A spam, no? Not sure on Yoshis 8A range though, you might risk a Headshot into iGDR etc. In one video i know furzy evaded my 2A with his 8A...

Its good to know when you play in a tourney and the opponent goes for 7A into aB shenanigans to kill you :)

Also Signia, did you experiment a bit with Yoshis 8A? The TJ/Invincibility properties of this move might be good against Rocktos 2A spam, no? Not sure on Yoshis 8A range though, you might risk a Headshot into iGDR etc. In one video i know furzy evaded my 2A with his 8A...
It's an instant TJ as well as being a TC, but yeah the range is too short and the attack is really slow. Running in and doing it wouldn't work too well, I think.

The way I ended up dealing with it was just reactively whiff punishing all the little pokes with 2B, and not worrying if I'm too late, since 2B is safe, puts me in FC 3K position, and is about as hard to whiff punish as Cervy's 2A. With that I can win the poke war. I didn't start doing that until our last ft5 (we had three total).

Here is some of my serious Cervantes game play. The player I'm playing against is none other than Signia, who ranked second at EVO (who easily overpowered many big names like Thermidor along the way. He has also defeated IRM and Jimbonator in the past). He knows the Cervantes match up extremely well. A few notes, 2A is the only thing you can do against Yoshi's IMCF zoning. Otherwise, Yoshi gets CH's every single time which leads to ring outs or death copter setups which you have to JG. Both players have to turtle in this matchup, or you're going to get wrecked.

One of the most hype fights ive seen in a while, are you on xbox by any chance? Im a Maxi main but am learning Cervy atm. Id love to get some matches.

One of the most hype fights ive seen in a while, are you on xbox by any chance? Im a Maxi main but am learning Cervy atm. Id love to get some matches.

Thanks! Offline, I always try to do stuff with Cerv that is out of the ordinary. Unfortunately, myself and other players like Signia can only be found on PSN. My apologies :(. But! If you're ever in Southern California or if you ever plan on attending EVO in Vegas etc, you can play me over at one of those events offline as I always try to attend. Also, feel free to put up your matches. IGDR execution barely scratches the surface with Cerv. He has every tool to win, but learning how to use all those tools can take a long time.

Last edited:
Back