Cervantes Q&A / General Discussion

That's iTS. Looks like it still has its big tech crouch on startup--there might be ways to throw it into strings for guaranteed CH greatness.

It's really hard to say what this new Cervantes is like from previous entries of the game. He loses the crazy boss-mode stuff from SC4 (crazy teleports and crazy boss mode-like moves) and seems more like the down-earth stylings of SC1's and SC2's Cervantes minus SC2's infamously crazy block stun and BT setups. He seems a lot faster than previous games and seems to be a much more rounded character without too much gimmicky high-profile stuff. I love the new aB and DC K looks like it has a boosted range. Dread Charge itself still looks like it has some solid mixup potential and the new BE's along with iGDR all seem solid. He'll probably end up a more popular, friendlier contender, without all the ridiculous scrub abuse, or brutal learning curves.

In essence, he's good ol' Cervantes with a new body and he's ready to show off in SC5. Here's hoping he does well.

In Brief: The Pirate's pretty darn good.

In Semi-Detail:
Cervantes remains a powerhouse of practical damage. His standard launch combo (3B, gunshot, iGDR) is approximately 75 damage, his standard iGDR combo (iGDRx2, followup of choice) should net between 80 and 90 damage, etcetera. He can effectively control space with moves like 4A (old 44A), 66A, 33A, and iGDR, thereby threatening opponents who attempt to move in on him. Up close, aB is still fast and damaging, and his throw game is still effective. His normal B throw now causes a ground stun and can be followed up with a guaranteed 2B+K or mixups. One gimmicky setup I used was B throw into 22(B), his BT unblockable. His CE is a full screen whiff punisher, is guaranteed on DC A (block), and generally reeks of overall usefulness, but at this moment his meter still seems best used for BE 4B (otherwise known as BE iGDR), which is a guard break that grants a mixup on block. Once Cervantes has a few of these stocked in his meter, his pressure game becomes incredibly powerful.

Once an opponent lets Cervantes in, his game opens up tremendously. Quickstep into 33B (old 11B) is a brutal, reliable tool to punish verticals. It also does decent meter damage, forces crouch, and feels safe. If you read sidestep, you can always get close and grab or throw out a 3A (old 3A+B). 3A causes a crumple stun on all hits now, creating great wakeup potential, and is only mildly punishable on block. Another move in the mildly punishable but useful club is 2A+B. It's mid, hits grounded, and forces crouch on block. From tip range, it's likely safe against most characters. On CH it yields WS A+B as a combo, and potentially more.

Tidbits:
1AB is unseeable, and CH 1A:B allows you to tack on an iGDR.
4aB now causes a double-over stun that allows Cervantes to get a launching 3B.
BT B+K no longer grants a launch, but it still has good combo potential. It's worth playing around with.
BE iGDR (block) creates a mixup between BT B+K and throws which is frustrating and powerful. If a throw lands, consider another BE iGDR on your grounded opponent in order to be an asshole.
11K stops step and is +frames.
aB is still disadvantaged on hit and woefully punishable on block. It also has significantly less range. That said, it remains an excellent interrupt and punisher.
CH BBB is a NC. CH 3A+B, BBB also combos.
It's harder to get yourself BT in front of an opponent, alas. Also, I couldn't find a way to rise BT without doing a move immediately.

Sounds so good...finally a Cervantes that seems to be able to create constant pressure. Thats one of the main reasons i switched to Setsuka (+ Tier whoring).

I loved playing Cervantes against Kilik, X et al, where iTP Pressure was possible. But i hated playing the boring style against those big hitbox chars where iTP was useless besides TJ 2As....

Wouldn't that just be NCC then?
Yup, but after I typed that I had visions of new people misunderstanding me. It was eerie.
Sounds so good...finally a Cervantes that seems to be able to create constant pressure. Thats one of the main reasons i switched to Setsuka (+ Tier whoring).
I definitely felt the pressure potential. Even when people tighten up their punishment, I still think it's legitimately there because sitting back and waiting for Cervantes to do something unsafe just seems to create opportunities for him to run wild. You're going to get stepped sometimes, you're going to get punished sometimes, but my instinct tells me that this is just the nature of SC5 gameplay generally.

its true that crevantes have an gdr that hit high now¿?....i remember Filthierich saying something like that, a duckable gdr(hit high)....if you block it you suffer frame disadvantage.

You know something about it?

Btw i just realized i'll be playing the final game on 27th of february on a Namco Event. So before you guys. I hope winner stays so i can test combos that day, lol.

Eat that suckers.

its true that crevantes have an gdr that hit high now¿?....i remember Filthierich saying something like that, a duckable gdr(hit high)....if you block it you suffer frame disadvantage.

You know something about it?

i made this question before Hates... you know something about¿?

Rich was talking about Dread Charge mixups, one of which is DC A, a high guard break that guarantees a CE on block.

Back