Cervantes top 10 moves.

HouseofMC

[08] Mercenary
I'm learning Cervantes and this method really helped me learn new characters in Tekken. So if you Cervantes experts could post a list of your favorite most useful moves and why, it would be super helpful.
Here is my scrub list so far. I'm new so your thoughts and criticism is much welcomed. In no order.

1. iGDR - fast, great range, and good damage combo starter.

2. aB - fast i11 punisher I believe. I love this move.

3. 3B - great juggle starting mid. Not horrible on block.

4. 22AA - you need them to duck. I train them to with this.

5. 2 A+B - safe? Ch juggle starter. Range is only down side.

6. 66 A - I like it for catching step at range.

7. DC A - I almost want them to block it. I follow up with 9 B+K on hit for good DMG.

8. 2 K - Generic I know but it's my panic button.

9. 6 B+K - I catch a lot of people who tech back with it.

10. 3 A+B - easy DMG, tracks well.

1) iGDR
Why? Because it's the Destroyer of Worlds, the King of Kombo-starters, the Lord of Launchers, the Poobah of Punishers, but most of all . . . it's iGDR; 'nuff said.

P.S. This may sound retarded, but am I the only one who pronounces iGDR as "igg-der" when speaking it aloud? Because of this I nicknamed it "iggy" when I talk to my friends about combos, e.g. "I always try to throw in an 'iggy' after successful launcher".

2) 3A
The Scissors are very underrated, IMO. Decent startup, wicked sidestep punishment and crumple stun on every hit. Plus it's fun to yell "Scissor me timbers!" after every successful hit.

3) 1AB
This is by far Cervy's best low attack. Fast as fuck and the just input leaves your opponent open for a world of hurt.

4) aB
This move has saved my ass from relentless assaults more times than I can count.

5) 4B BE
As a reference to iGDR, I nicknamed this one "biggy" mainly because it's essentially BE iGDR and because it's iGDR on freakin' steroids. Biggy is easily Cervy's best BE.

6) 22_88 AA
As HouseofMC stated, it trains people to duck.

7) 2A+B on CH
It's so versatile, It slaps foes on the ground, it's a great way to follow up an iggy or a biggy and it combos handsomely into . . .

8) WR A+B
This is a bit of a gamble by itself, but as a follow up of CH 2A+B it can't be beat.

9) WR B+K
It's risky as hell, but on the occasions that I've pulled it off it rips away OBSCENE amounts of damage.

10) 3A+B
It's not the most ideal move in his arsenal, but I definitely think that it's one of Cervy's coolest moves as far as sheer aesthetics. I mean, just look at the way he slaps the shit out of people with those swords when executing it . . . now that's what I call "Shock and Awe".

Honorable Mention) 2K
It's not much, not by a long shot, but it's my panic move when I know my goose is cooked and it's a great way to deny my opponent a perfect kill.

Thanks everyone. Keep it coming. And Ebolanator thanks for the insight. That's exactly what I was looking for. I want to understand his moves more and see what other players think is good and trash. And quick question. 1 A,B how do you know if you get a counter? Do you input the "just" B regardless?

Still learning this game.But Apparently I learn slower than the average person.Probably due to me not picking up a 3D fighter since SC3 and T5DR.

But all that's besides the point.Here's my scrubby list: In no particular order

iGDR
4 A+B(dark GDR)
4B A+B+K (flash GDR (BE))
3B
AA
BB
3A
44 A+B
33_99A

1. iGDR
2. aB
3. 3B
4. 4B (BE) -- + frames out the ass
5. 1AB
6. 3A+B
7. BT B+K
8. bK
9. 2A+B
10. 33B

Ok so after playing over 50 matches yesterday I learned a lot. I took what's been posted and tried to incorporate the moves listed. So here is what I found worked for me. And in order this time.

1. 4B(BE). I use so much meter on this thing. It hits I get combo. It's gets blocked I'm in the driver seat. As soon as I have meter I burn it on this. Too good not to. You gain a lot in this game, use it!

2. aB. As I said earlier this move rocks. Super fast and the range is too good for i11. Does a chunk way more then most characters simple AA punisher.

3. bK. Jumps lows and your at 0 on block. So it's my tech trap of choice. A quick aB will beat out most options. Except Natsu! So use with a little caution.

4. 1 AB. This is now my go to low. Super fast and gets them ducking. I was using 22 AA but I get ch out of that move a lot. It has it's uses but 1 AB is the better low by far.

5. iGDR. I suck at getting this thing right. There I said it. I need more practice. Maybe 1 out of 4 times I get it. But when I do it seems to land more often then not. It's range and speed are too good to ignore.

6. 2 A+B. I like this move because of it's versatility. It works as a ch launcher. It works as combo ender and it's great in oki. What's not to like.

7. 66 A. Basically what I said before. Great against step.

8. BT B+K. This move crushes guards quickly. This move combined with 4B(BE) puts pressure on the opponent to make mistakes. That life bar starts flashing and they get careless.

9. 66 B. Great poke. Not the fastest but it has great ringout potential. Safe as far as I know.

10. 44 A+B. Hear me out on this one. If you use 6 B+K and they duck on reaction then is move has value. I set it up when people tech back. If they tech throw out 6 B+K. If it hits great! If not and they duck...even better. Next time you get them in a techable situation instead of 6 B+K, do 44 A+B for 140 DMG+. There may have been a better move here but this one I land more often then it should. You can't throw it out randomly or even once a round. Hope this helps and would like to see more.

What's all the hype about bK? I mean, I know what it does, but being sidestepped and having a slow start-up kind of ruins it no?

And I know I also listed 4B (BE), but if you're able to constantly pull off iGDR anyways what's the point?

Again, I'm still a scrub you guys will help me level up =)

Zero those are good points. Let me answer one scub to another. With bK it's a ok vertical. A bit slow. But like I said it can be used as a frame trap if you know the matchup. Like Mitsurugi can't do much after it, aB after bK will beat almost all of his options but block. As for iGDR vs. 4B(BE). It's comes down to safety and follow ups. A blocked iGDR is unsafe to a few things. So you can be punished. But 4B(BE) gives you plus frames on block. Thus you are still in control for a follow up attack like BT B+K or a BT grab. Its your mix up. Still match up dependent though.

4B BE is only good outside of combos, of course in combos IGDR is always the move to go for.

But the massive frame advantage and his strong BT B+K kind of make 4B BE his best BE by far. Its basically a Blockstun safe half screen move for 100 DMG with close to zero risk. You can just throw it out here and there, take a lucky guess etc. You cant do that with iGDR since its too unsafe.

4B BE is only good outside of combos, of course in combos IGDR is always the move to go for.

But the massive frame advantage and his strong BT B+K kind of make 4B BE his best BE by far. Its basically a Blockstun safe half screen move for 100 DMG with close to zero risk. You can just throw it out here and there, take a lucky guess etc. You cant do that with iGDR since its too unsafe.

getting stepped means you lose 50% meter and probably 50% of your health haha. depending on the distance you do it at, i guess.

1. iGDR/ 4B BE - His most damaging/intimidating option.

2.aB - One of his best punishers. Also interrupts stepping.

3. 3B - While is decent. He still needs a standard launcher.

4. Throws - Because he has no good lows at all. This kind of pressure will make some players duck instead of guess.

5. 6A+B/33B - 6A+B Pushes back so is safe most of the time. On hit it does great damage. 33B is safe, considerably fast, destroys Guard Gauge and it's damage is too good (Easy 80+ out of it) .

6. 6A/2A/3K/bK/6K - His best pokers imo.

7. 3A - Even though this time is unsafer. It's still great for step punishment.

8. WS B+K (Personal favorite) - While is a extremely high risk/High reward move, I can say it's very satisfying to punish highs with it. A single Clean Hit + Counter = 93+ dmg = Merry Chrismas. Especially useful against those players that tend to go for throws a lot. This will make them think twice...

9. A+B/B+K - Extremely helpful to counter visible moves and patterns to avoid Guard Crush and meter usage.

10. 66A/66B - While not that great, they are good for applying pressure.

There might be more but that's what came to mind atm.

PS. Namco really ruined his Dread Charge game in this installment by no letting us do/delay the moves. Is completely useless, very obvious and very suicidal now.

Edit: Added 33B to the list.

PS. Namco really ruined his Dread Charge game in this installment by no letting us do/delay the moves. Is completely useless, very obvious and very suicidal now.

I'm not sure if I'm ready to say that dread charge is useless just yet. The options are ridiculously damaging, and I find that people who want to block high and react to the low tend to wind up blocking DC A for a free aB or CE. I think it has potential application in certain wakeup scenarios.

As for WS B+K, that's a killer move when it's free. I just find its range somewhat limited. Usually after a ducked throw I go for WS B, iGDR, aB, which is also 80 and much more forgiving, range-wise. Wish we had a list of strings/moves that grantes free WS B+K... I know it's free on a couple of Maxi strings if you're quick.

What I meant by Dread Charge is that with training you can block both options on reaction.

His fastest follow up is DC B and for that a good and trained player will block standing after Dread Charge and quickly block low for DC A/K since they are slower than GDR. It's somewhat of an option select to me. While is nothing but theory I find it very applicable with practice. Making DC useless at least for me. I think that's what my buddy does to me. I haven't landed a single Dread Charge move on him to date. This might be the case. It's sad indeed because I really love DC K : B : B into CE.

As of WS B+K. I'll see what I can do. :)

I've had some good luck with using WS B+K to shut down Natsu's Posession and hover mixups. I find it gives me a little more control over the pace of the match because if they get too cheeky with the mixups I rip off 1/3 of their life bar.

What I meant by Dread Charge is that with training you can block both options on reaction.

His fastest follow up is DC B and for that a good and trained player will block standing after Dread Charge and quickly block low for DC A/K since they are slower than GDR. It's somewhat of an option select to me. While is nothing but theory I find it very applicable with practice. Making DC useless at least for me. I think that's what my buddy does to me. I haven't landed a single Dread Charge move on him to date. This might be the case. It's sad indeed because I really love DC K : B : B into CE.

As of WS B+K. I'll see what I can do. :)

If your facing someone that seems to be able to negate the DC A/K mixup fake them out by using DC 6.
It's a very fast dash and will add more to your mixup from DC

Sorry but I disagree. DC 6 would be treated like DC B. In the end you will be standing in the same position. Not being able to land the moves.

Sorry but I disagree. DC 6 would be treated like DC B. In the end you will be standing in the same position. Not being able to land the moves.

I agree the recovery of DC Dash is just too long, i dont see any use for this right now. If you want to close the distance etc after a KND, DC is just too slow. And usually iGDR leaves you upclose.

I honestly dont get what DC6 is designed for.

iTP where are you?

I just wish his DC game would somehow revert back to SC3's. He did have a great mixup game there without mentioning you could mess with it's timing.

I'm not sure but he had a low string out of DC that was NC. I really liked that. But now DC it's pitiful and linear imo. Only people who don't play Cervantes much will fall for it and I personally feel in the end, everyone will figure the old man out eventually.

For now, I think his most useless move and I'm personally disgusted about it, is 8A+B (Shoryuken!). After it he goes into DC. Even on hit it is somewhat useless. The DC B Follow up is quite whifty most of the time and you can tech DC K. Without mentioning the damage is quite nerfed compared to it's previous counterparts.

On A side note: 33B is definitely one of Cervantes' most useful tools. It's safe, destroys Soul Gauge, is considerably fast and it's damage is ridiculous (Easily 80+ out of it). I'm editing my post with it.

Back