Cervantes v.s. The World (Strategy against certain characters)

Arrogant

[09] Warrior
I've officially decided that I'm going to main the Pirate and now being that's the case, I'd like to start this thread. For all the Cervantes players who meet up against characters they're not too familiar fighting against, be it because there's relatively little competition, being isolated, or what have you, I'd like to create a compendium of punishers against all the Soul Calibur IV cast. This is for Pirate players that want to know what do in certain situations and wish to take the smartest and most effective way to a win, really. I'm fairly new to the game in all honesty, so you veteran players can (must) really help.
Started June 10th, 2009 (My Birthday)

Amy
Astaroth
Cassandra
Cervantes
Hilde
Ivy
Kilik
Lizardman
Maxi
Heishiro Mitsurugi
Nightmare
Raphael
Rock
Seong Mina
Setsuka
Siegfried
Sophitia
Taki
Talim
Tira
Voldo
Xianghua
Yohimitsu
Yun-Seong
Zasalamel

Kowtow, he wants Cervy strats against these characters. So more of an anti-character thread using Cervy. The link you've suggested just shows Cervy match-ups against certain foes.

vs Amy:

1A punish w/your WS A
4A punish w/aB
33B punish w/aB
2B+K punish w/WS A

Not a hard fight, just pay attention. Not really necessary to duck, you can see 2B+K after a while

vs Yoshimitsu

Punish nearly every low w/WS A/iGDR

If you see him go into Dragonfly, duck. You can see the DRG B on reaction, just get up right away.

Hope this helps. I'll add more if you want, feeling pretty lazy right now

So after i getting my assed kicked by 2 french mitsurugis on the weekend and eating a billion 2KBs im proud to announce a new 2KB punishment!

66A+B~8A+K~iGDR~28B....we are talking about guaranteed 89 Damage!!

The important question, why the fuck did it take us 1,5 years to discover this?? We Cervy players are a bunch of losers! :P :P

So stop punishing with 3B, on close and midrange 66A+B is guaranteed!

Finally that move has a purpose! Maybe we should try to use it more as a whiffpunisher...

PS: If this is known, sorry for disturbing :)

EDIT: The french player Kira just told me that its also possible to punish Voldos 236B with it!

EDIT2: Works also against Mitsus 33B for 90 Damage, from close and midrange.
Against his 66B and 66BB there is a pretty nice trick. Just do 6A after 66B, you will punish it and if he does the second one you will get a strange hit, about 8 DMG maybe but you will be about +25, so you can punish him for this with 66A+B for 90 DMG again. BTW this worked also in SC3, if you do 1A+B you will end up in BT for 83 DMG but 6A is the best since it also punishes the first hit.

Try it, i guess those are not Mitsus best moves, but worth to know!

vs. Vader

-Stepping is a priority.

-Be aware of 1BA as itz @ i14

-Also duck the A after the 1B and punish him hard (I usually do WS A and FC A+B)

-Keep an eye on his force gauge.

-a fully charged gauge could possibly be used to ring you out depending on the area he's standing in.

-Also keep in check if his force gauge is empty. There are some cases where he ran out of juice and you can iGDR punish him for that.

-Be extra cautious when Vader's back is near the edge or when you're near the edge and when Vader has force gauge.

What's the matchup wit cery & Ivy ? i can beat dam near any cervy still curious about this matchup because both char seem almost even. Should be in ivy favor

Is this kind of "surprising" stuff still considered "true" ?

Nori said:
vs Amy:

1A punish w/your WS A
4A punish w/aB
33B punish w/aB
2B+K punish w/WS A

Not a hard fight, just pay attention. Not really necessary to duck, you can see 2B+K after a while

Here are my thoughts about this :
- 33B is safe against all characters. -9 on block AND pushback
- If you "see" 2B+K, your opponent is either being predictable in his mid/low sequence, or using a different spacing to do the move. This is a common mistake that not so good players make : they come upclose do 2B+K, and don't to do 3B/33B. It's a "real" mixup only if Amy comes at 2B+K range to do the mid. You may have not been lucky enough to meet knowledgeable Amy players at the time you wrote this

So after i getting my assed kicked by 2 french mitsurugis on the weekend and eating a billion 2KBs im proud to announce a new 2KB punishment!

66A+B~8A+K~iGDR~28B....we are talking about guaranteed 89 Damage!!

The important question, why the fuck did it take us 1,5 years to discover this?? We Cervy players are a bunch of losers! :P :P

So stop punishing with 3B, on close and midrange 66A+B is guaranteed!

Finally that move has a purpose! Maybe we should try to use it more as a whiffpunisher...

PS: If this is known, sorry for disturbing :)

EDIT: The french player Kira just told me that its also possible to punish Voldos 236B with it!

EDIT2: Works also against Mitsus 33B for 90 Damage, from close and midrange.
Against his 66B and 66BB there is a pretty nice trick. Just do 6A after 66B, you will punish it and if he does the second one you will get a strange hit, about 8 DMG maybe but you will be about +25, so you can punish him for this with 66A+B for 90 DMG again. BTW this worked also in SC3, if you do 1A+B you will end up in BT for 83 DMG but 6A is the best since it also punishes the first hit.

Try it, i guess those are not Mitsus best moves, but worth to know!

Me and babalook were talking about this months ago... lol

Well my post is almost 3 months old :P

Babalook also claimed to have invented the ch 3B~8A+B:B+K Combo when it was discovered 1,5 years ago back when he was a HUUUUGE scrub :)

Babalook also claimed to have invented the ch 3B~8A+B:B+K Combo when it was discovered 1,5 years ago back when he was a HUUUUGE scrub :)

well i have been pwned, maybe I should check the post date next time

i didnt claim it i said i may have come up with it :) and noface doesnt have the game right now so everyone needs to not respond to him till he gets it.

Vs. Ivy

-Be patient and cautious of her 7_8_9B and her 214B though risky for her, she can bait you in situations.
-Mainly step counter clock-wise w/caution especially against 7_8_9B. Her 214B can be stepped if 8WR counter-clockwise.

Hey guys, I recently have gotten serious about offline(I've only been once, and I'll be out of state during the next meetup but I'm trying to get together with people where I'll be staying). I have a lot of problems with X. Any tips? What I've come up with so far is I have to rely on my pokes even more: her i11 AA means she can punish things like 3B on reaction every time(at least who I was playing did). A lot of her threatening stuff is safe(85B, FC 3B). I'm not really sure how to approach this match up, but I feel it'd be a good learning experiance since I need to poke more anyways.

Back