Coiled State Tips

Ring

Lay still now
I think it's a good idea to start a thread dedicated to Coiled State (CL) only.

Before I start, I would like to say, that like probably most of you, I didn't like this stance at first - it seemed crappy. Things changed. Coil is probably most important stance of all, because it links SW/WP/CL and SE together. And I think it requires more work than SW or WP, but I can assure all of you that it's worth.

The main advantages of CL state are:

- The movement. Ivy in CL has the best step (back step, side step, forward step) of all three stances. Everytime when I change WP to CL I feel like I'm flying.

- You can enter SE from Coil simply by pressing B+K during last recovery frames of every move.

- Diversity of moves. Coiled State is a mix of SW/WP moves. So you can find here long ranged moves as well as quick short ranged attacks good for interrupting.

- Insane mixup potential, thanks to the fact that you can change to SW/WP/SE after every move.

- Both command throws - CS/SS after every move and during blockstun!

- The best punishing options. You can change the stances during blockstun in order to punish your opponent with every move from SW/CL/WP. However, this needs a further research due to the fact that it was discovered recently.

- Great Soul Gauge damage.

The main disadvantages:

- Lack of good lows. This is, without a doubt, the main weakness of CL.

Ok, so here we go:

CL 214B_{B} - hail to the king! We all know how this move works so I won't bother describing it. Let's just say that it evades verticals ;) If used correctly - it's a lethal weapon. If used incorrectly - it's lethal for the user. Frankly speaking - this move will save your ass when you know how to use it. The best moment for CL 214B usage is probably when your opponent is at advantage. Try not to throw it when you are at advantage - an advanced player will not attack you when you're at adv, and if he blocks it, you are in serious trouble. Also, this move works like this: the closer you are to your opponent, the better. I've managed to avoid Lizardman's 66A with CL 214B several times, which normally can't be stepped (or it's insanely difficult)

Just to mention : the differences between CL 214B and CL 214 are: the first one has slightly less disadvantage on block but it's negative on hit, the second one has a bigger disadv. on block but isn't negative on hit, so things like SE K, SE BBB/5hit, SE 66K, A236A become a frametrap. The conclusion: don't use 214B because you get nothing. There's also a chance of avoiding the punishment after you enter SE (with TC moves, backstep and side step) I'd also like to warn Ivy players not to spam this move against Sophitia. Every blocked CL 214B_ guarantees her (mostly) a half-life combo 236236B, 236236B:4 -_-

CL A+B,A+K - definitely one of Ivy's best tools for damage/RO/mixups. Catches sidesteppers, has a high damage potential on normal hit, can RO from a half screen range (thanks to WP 1B+K->3B+K). Single CL A+B can lead to deadly mixups. But no matter how many advantages this move has, it also has one big weakness: whiffing. The last hit of CL A+B,A_A+K tends to whiff against many characters leaving Ivy open for an attack. Use this move wisely!

CL B - single B is pretty good for its really big range.

CL 1B,B+K - THIS is how the real CL BB should look. Nicely ranged NC with a good advantage on hit (+3). Do not fear about it being punished - it is safe on block, and (on block) the second hit cannot be stepped or even GI-ed. In stun combos, the 2nd hit knocks the opponent making SW 214K guaranteed. Please note that the B+K part normally switches us to Sword State, but you can avoid that simply by holding A+B in CL (it works with other moves as well) Only 16 blocked to CF. Note: don't use CL 1B alone, because it's unsafe and negative on hit.

CL 6B - Safe mid, mostly for SG damage (10 to CF) It has a nice range and TCs (but pretty late) It is also pretty linear so be careful.

CL 3A - This move seems underrated. It catches sidestep, is safe against 95% of characters (-10), gives advantage on hit and stuns on CH. I guess the only "bad" thing about it is that 3A forces us to switch to SW most of the time, because on CH there is no appropriate follow up in CL and WP.

CL A,A+K - only for combos. When used on stunned opponent it becomes an AT throw and does more damage.

CL 4B - the new "Ivy lick". For airborne opponents mostly. Normally it's a high-mid combination, only -2 on block and +1 on hit.

CL 33A - good and old SC3 WP 66A. Great for sidestep catching. On CH gives a shakeable stun. It's safe against many characters due to its range. The bad thing is that this move has a slow start-up frames.

CL 33B (mash) - This mid attack is only -3 on block (meaning it's useful for frametraps), literally rapes SG, and on hit guarantees 9gB (strict timing) for 50 dmg or 2K for 41dmg. Be sure to spam it.

CL 22_88B - this GC move is usefull for setups. It leaves Ivy in FC and has a slight disadvantage on block (-2) so it's a great setup for WS A+B, CL 214B_, or CS/SS (IF you teach your opponent not to attack after blocking it) It also does a side step and can avoid verticals.

CL WS AA - Even though I hate this move, I think I should mention that it becomes a natural combo at tip range, and guarantees SW 3B+K afterwards for almost 70dmg. It still is very risky, because it is mid-mid-high. Just to mention: WS A alone is punishable on block and negative on hit (-6!) sucks and shouldn't be used.

CL 3B - great launcher, useful for whiff punishing. Launches higher on CH making CL 4B to connect on bigger characters.

CL 1A - the main advantage of this move is definitely the fact, that on CH or a succesful aGI it leads to some really massive damage (80+) and it aGIs all low attacks. Where's the catch then? CL 1A is really slow, punishable on block, negative on NH, TCs very late and can fail with aGI. However, sometimes it's worth to try this, if we can read opponent well ...

CL 6A,K or CL 6A, A+K - CL 6A,K is a high,high combination where the 2nd hit stuns on NH or gives advantage on block (+1). CL 6,A+K on the other hand is high-mid-mid combination (the 2nd and 3rd hit are NC) How to use this? Your opponent will have to choose between ducking the K or just blocking. If he does the right choice, he can punish you, if not, you get either +1 on block or 40dmg with an advantage (+3) and opponent turned backwards.

CL 6A+B - veeery far reaching mid attack that TC's almost instantly, and on hit gives extreme advantage (+7 or +9). On hit, it becomes an AT throw. However there are a few variations of it:

- at close range it leaves opponent backturned and gives you +7
- at far range it draws your opponent near and gives you +9
- if you hit your opponent's back with CL 6A+B it becomes BT throw for 90dmg
- sometimes if you hit opponent from the side, it becomes side throw for approx 75dmg, however I'm still not sure how exactly does that work. I happens mostly when you hit your opponent while he is making a move.

CL 6A+B is very linear and unsafe, but only at very close range due to its pushback on block.

OK that's all for now. There are several moves left, I hope other players will write something about them too. Btw sorry for mistakes. It took me a while to write this and it wasn't easy considering that it's not my native language. I hope my effort will be appreciated lolz.

What are you talking about? Your english is perfect lol. And yes, it's appreciated. =]

Let me add a couple more;

CL 236BB - Her tried and true follow-up. By itself it's not -that- bad as well, since it TC's and does knock your opponent quite far even on block, so its not -that- punishable.

CL FC 2B - Idk about the frames on this thing off the top of my head, but along with WP FC 2B, this is key to Ivy's spacing game.

Edit: Just checked. i17 and -7 on block. It's on the slow side but it is a safe move, and you're using it for spacing anyway so it really serves its purpose even on block.

CL FC 2A - Her "best" 2A methinks. It's not as sucky as WP FC 2A that's for sure. It has more range than FC SW 2A as well.

CL G9B - SW 9B, CL form. We all know how wonderful this move is on CH.

That's all I have. Ring's list is pretty comprehensive as is.

To comment on that list then:

CL 22_88B - Ring pretty much has it on the dot for this one. I cannot tell you guys how much I've cursed myself for this GC being negative on block. This, really, is where CL 214 shines (attacking on disadvantage is only made possible and practical by this move). You have to hit this setup a few times before the TRUE setup really begins. Also, to note, this is not a bad ouki.

CL WS AA - Good to know that single A sucks. Thanks. XD

CL A+B - This move has SO many mixups its not even funny. Use it as one of Ivy's best tools for mindgames.

I think I should note on which characters that CL A+B A+K misses the second hit on block, namely:
1. Voldo
2. Astaroth
3. Lizardman

I don't think I missed anyone... but if I did, please add them.

That's all from me. =)

I did a little research about CL A+B,A+K whiff and the result looks depressing:

Lizardman - 2nd hit
Amy - 3rd hit
Setsuka - 3rd hit
Taki - 3rd hit
Siegfried - 3rd hit
Nightmare - 3rd hit
Hilde - 3rd hit
Maxi - 3rd hit
Voldo - 2nd and 3rd hit (sometimes only 2nd hit)
Xianghua - 3rd hit
Kilik - 3rd hit
Asta - 3rd hit (and 2nd at max range)
Seong Mina - 2nd hit
Cervantes - 3rd hit
Zasalamel - 3rd hit
Vader - 3rd hit

1) Don't use this move on Voldo and Lizardman unless you know it will hit.
2) The list applies to "deep" block only. The 2nd hit will whiff against some characters at bigger range

It's really risky against some characters (like Hilde for instance, where you can get RO easily or loose 100dmg)

if yoshi blocks the 1st and 2nd hit of CL A+B A+K he can 4B+K the 3rd hit into REF A for 64 dmg(unless you Jukemi the the 2nd DNK). if CL A+B A+K is blocked to shallow 4B+K will step back to far for REF A to hit.

WRB and backdash cancel. Good things.

Other than that, Ring covered everything else.

Coiled is tied with Sword now in usefulness thanks to the CS/SS discovery.

Go Ivy, GO!!! :sc4ivy1:

Well I did some long testing, and concluded that Coil does NOT give you access to ALL of SW and WP attacks. Only to the command throws. I would LOVE for someone to prove me wrong, but I tested it wuite a bit. It seems to just not want to shift while doing anythign BUT a Command throw. Has anyone else been able to perform a WP or Sword attack form CL Block Stun?
Again, I hope someone can prove me wrong here.

In other notes, has anyone else seen how 236bb can roll catch? I get some decent ringout properties from it, and at the very least, it's a good wakeup tool if your opponent is expecting a linear attack.

Well I did some long testing, and concluded that Coil does NOT give you access to ALL of SW and WP attacks. Only to the command throws. I would LOVE for someone to prove me wrong, but I tested it wuite a bit. It seems to just not want to shift while doing anythign BUT a Command throw. Has anyone else been able to perform a WP or Sword attack form CL Block Stun?
Again, I hope someone can prove me wrong here.

In other notes, has anyone else seen how 236bb can roll catch? I get some decent ringout properties from it, and at the very least, it's a good wakeup tool if your opponent is expecting a linear attack.

It can? I thought it whiffs when the opponent rolls? o.o;

Has anyone else been able to perform a WP or Sword attack form CL Block Stun? Again, I hope someone can prove me wrong here.

Of course it's possible to perform any SW/WP attack from CL during blockstun. It works just like CS/SS. However, I'm still looking for an instant shift, because normally how Im getting is like this:

[G][A+K]6566A for WP 66A

And it's slower than normal, so this method doesn't work for punishing well.

Btw I'll edit the list with some new info later.

It can? I thought it whiffs when the opponent rolls? o.o;

You are correct, let me fix myself. I meant to be more specific in what it catches. Forward, or back rolls get caught, but side rolls will evade this. Sorry for the confusion.

Of course it's possible to perform any SW/WP attack from CL during blockstun. It works just like CS/SS. However, I'm still looking for an instant shift, because normally how Im getting is like this:

[G][A+K]6566A for WP 66A

And it's slower than normal, so this method doesn't work for punishing well.

Btw I'll edit the list with some new info later.

I was looking for the instant shift as well, because with Ivy's 6b9 being her fastest attack, I was hoping for more range options to punish with from CL, (WP 6B against an asta that threw me back, and doesnt' expect me to reach) however, this method seems to best work to give an SS/CS mixup, and eventually condition people into crouching.

I must say though, it's VERY hard to perform this mid fight, so I might be doing it wrong, or it may just be something that takes as much practice as the 5-Hit.I'm doing as much testing with it as possible, if I find anything, this board will know, but it seems that your pioneering this well enough as it is. GREAT find as it is still.

So far the easiest method to perfom any attack out of CL is:

While you are in CL, hold [G] and [A+K] or [B+K] at the same time. After approx 1,5 sec you can perfom any move you want. And be sure to let go [G] before you make any move.

So yeah, just learn exactly how long the stance cooldown lasts and you can do anything you want (except for punishing...) Unfortunately you have to wait 1,5 sec everytime.

LOL at Ring's sig. iCS from Coil. I'll wait until that day where someone masters Ivy and only uses coil and only SS/CS from other stances(Providing u can do followups from other stances based from Coil launchers). Then they can win smiling and say Im fighting using a gimped Ivy.

Since most CL moves that I'd mention have already been mentioned (and pretty informative I must add), I'll just add this:

CL 6AK
Yes, we're all aware that this shit is h,h.
But this time I want to focus on what's good about it ;p
- Very good range for a full side-step catch move. Also due to this game's 8wr system, it's actually not rare to see this move land on CH.
- Stun on CH is shakeable, but still, Ivy has MANY options even If opponent shakes.
- Small advantage on block (K)
- Possible mix-up (CL 6A+K, h,m,h...although last hit is also h :/).

Also other moves that I like in CL (for the reasons Ring mentioned):
CL B
CL 6B
CL 6A+B

Finally just emphasizing on a certain CL aspect:
- The movement. Ivy in CL has the best step (back step, side step, forward step) of all three stances. Everytime when I change WP to CL I feel like I'm flying.
This shit is NO joke.
It's not just one of the best CL advantages, but also perhaps her best tool in general.
The main reason I managed to emerge victorious at the Greek SCIV Tourney (at late November), is because I took full advantage of Ivy's step in CL. The stage also helped...a bit...(it was Jyurakudai Villa...LOL).

CL [G][B+K]2A+K is amazing. It's only -15 and everytime you get SW 214K followup! Those new discoveries really took Ivy to a next level.

CL [G][B+K]2A+K is amazing. It's only -15 and everytime you get SW 214K followup! Those new discoveries really took Ivy to a next level.

Yeah it's pretty good I just have issues with some people reacting to that sweep. It does work on quite a few people though.

Being able to do SW FC 3B from CL would be nice especially against moves that force crouch.

Overall though, this kinda seems like the same concept as SS/CS from Coil and would actually be worse against people who can react to the low (which is i25 I think?).

Is CL 4A as useless as I think it is?
I was going to use it for CS/SS but the frame data says -4 on block
on hit, it sends them flying...
what a crappy move
lol

I would use that as a Post-GI attack, it's not the slowest move, so it may just throw people off if used rarely, and at the edge, you can get a decent RO.

I o agree though, - on block HIGH GC can seem totally useless in most situations, but sadly, Ivy's whoe list is situational. The same actually goes for WP 44A, but it at least leads to SE, or SS.

Is CL 4A as useless as I think it is?
I was going to use it for CS/SS but the frame data says -4 on block
on hit, it sends them flying...
what a crappy move
lol

i think you can follow with 236bb if 4 A hits

still doesn't make it a worth while move

Also, even if CL 4A is blocked, you always have CL 214, which is always an option in such situations (when in disadvantage).

Guys, I just found something REALLY cool! It seems that CL has another secret. It's possible to actually control Ivy during CL 236BB animation.

The actuall input is very easy, it goes like this: CL 236BB[4] or CL 236BB[6] Ok now what it does:

- on block CL 236BB[4] will make Ivy retreat thus she will avoid a lot of punishers!
- on hit CL 236BB[6] will make Ivy end up next the the opponent for a better wakeup game

Also, CL 236BB[6] increases the range of this move a lot (its like WP 6B now), so you will probably never whiff again with it..

So... enjoy. I don't think this was mentioned. It makes CL 236BB much more useful now :) the most important thing is that CL 236BB[4] becomes a lot safer than regular CL 236BB.

Back