Daishi no longer works at Project Soul

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a new experience and I do respect his marketing but his direction of how to go about reinvisioning franchise was all wrong, even if I only speak for myself. The impulsive while unesssissary gamble of changing everything about how the game works just to wink at the SF fans beacuse it happened to be the popular title; is what made SC5 feel so out of place compared to the past games and totally alienates the feel of its prime (SC2). If Daishi's departure means SC goes back to its roots then so be it. I want to play Soul Calibur, meaning SC mechanics only, bottom line... not Street Fighter. No disrespect intended, but theres a reason why fighting games are just losing all originality these days.

However, whomever destroyed the roster and created these new characters, personalities and written the story in SC5 needs to be tossed immediately, its just terrible... too cliche, too cartoony... god-dammit Xiba...god-dammit Natsu...

P.S: Thanks for the CAS Overhaul. It was at least SC5's best feature.

Last edited:
I don't think this has been posted yet. Oofmatic asked Harada on twitter about Daishi, and got a reply:
View attachment 35809

It's a bit ambiguous as it doesn't really say if he left the company or just project soul, but either way, it looks like Daishi is out of the picture now. The leads at Project Soul has definitely changed a lot since SC5.

So, what do people think? Is this good or bad news? Daishi was the lead on SC5, so it looks like the next main SC game won't continue the same path as SC5 took.

Im glad.

I think Daishi is gonna make a "Not-Soulcalibur" Soulcalibur game. Kinda like the Mighty No. 9 thing.
I like this idea. A real sequel without having to worry about all the retards who wouldn't buy the game because MUH TALIM.

I appreciated so much Daishi's work in SC5! But I really want to see what Hoshiro will do for SC Lost Souls, SC Unbreakable Soul and SC6 indeed! I think that Unbreakable Soul and SC6 will have the classic look like SC2 or SC3 because of Hoshiro's production!

I like this idea. A real sequel without having to worry about all the retards who wouldn't buy the game because MUH TALIM.
In my opinion, Talim was underwhelming and underplayed in SC4. So I am confused as to how this MUH TALIM stuff came about.

As far as I see it, this is a good thing. Maybe he was good for the gameplay side, I don't know because I never played SC5 and never will, but he royally screwed over the story side of it. The only good thing I might be able to say from a personal perspective is that he might have kept Soul Calibur alive with his online petitions, but that quickly got undone by him forcing an unnecessary timeskip nobody asked for, tossing out a huge chunk of the roster (much of which was female) including core characters Sophitia and Taki, and forcing in anime cliche "replacements" of the characters he removed. Most people that supported his petition wanted Soul Calibur to remain Soul Calibur in more than just gameplay. They didn't ask for him to remove characters they like or for him to disrespect major franchise characters so he could follow his personal desires.

Gameplay-wise, he might have done good things for the franchise. Story and consumer base wise, he tore the franchise apart. SC5 was a base breaker game. People like me won't buy games that continue in the vein of SC5, which by the numbers amounts to half of the sales of SC4. People that supported SC5 or hate characters like Sophitia won't support a game that seeks to undo the damage done by SC5. Unless SC6 or a game meant to be like SC6 reverses the course set by SC5 and gets majority acceptance, the Soul Calibur franchise is basically dead as anything other than ports, remakes, F2P microtransaction games like Lost Swords, or mobile card games.

That said, my impression of Daishi as a result of SC5 is the same impression I have of Motomu Toriyama at Squeenix: don't give him an existing IP. Assign him to making a brand new IP. He clearly has ideas that he personally wants to see put out there, but they don't mesh with existing IPs, and like Toriyama, he didn't seem to have the restraint to understand where they do and don't belong. With a brand new IP, he can do whatever he wants without being judged for it by comparisons of how the IP should be treated. His capabilities as a director would also be considered more genuinely based on their actual merits, not artificially supported by blind fanboys and fangirls of the IP's name.

including core characters Sophitia and Taki, and forcing in anime cliche "replacements" of the characters he removed.
Talk about laying it on thick. Sophitia and Taki are anime cliches to me, therefore at most its a lateral younger upgrade. I don't see a younger taki logically being stoic like some 30 year old seasoned ninja. Hence nothing to really complain about.

You're whining about disrespect for the characters, but you fail to neglect the fact that yoshimitsu I got killed by yoshimitsu II, which is as bigger slap in the face. Its not like Natsu killed taki or something like that.

Last edited:
Talk about laying it on thick. Sophitia and Taki are anime cliches to me, therefore at most its a lateral younger upgrade. I don't a younger taki logically being stoic like some 30 year old seasoned ninja. Hence nothing to really complain about.

You're whining about disrespect for the characters, but you fail to neglect the fact that yoshimitsu I got killed by yoshimitsu II, which is as bigger slap in the face. Its not like Natsu killed taki or something like that.

I see your "it's not like Natsu killed Taki' example and wonder if you considered saying "It's not like Pyrrha killed Sophitia" only to realize I can say exactly that due to the nature of SC5's "story." :) That's not a serious accusation of any sort on my part, only an honest statement of thoughts that come to mind, sorry if saying that offends you.

I'm just saying exactly what I think and feel about Daishi and SC5. If doing that amounts to "laying it on thick" then so be it, but what I'm laying on thick is what I care about. I got involved starting at SC2, but if Yoshimitsu I got killed by Yoshimitsu II without a respectful send-off, then he should come back, at least long enough to get the send-off he deserves. Especially if he was as important to the franchise as Sophitia and Taki are.

OK sounds not good for Daishi.

But does that mean that SoulCalibur6 might have no just guard or meter mechanics? I hate just guard...
Why do you hate JG? It's an element of the game that rewards patient and knowing your opponents movelists and tendencies and rewards you with a punish or advantage. I'm not coming at you I'm just curious as to what your reasons are for not liking it.

Why do you hate JG? It's an element of the game that rewards patient and knowing your opponents movelists and tendencies and rewards you with a punish or advantage. I'm not coming at you I'm just curious as to what your reasons are for not liking it.

It just seems to me like a rip off from 3rd strike parry system. And I like guard impact and just guard is a mechanic that is not needed if guard impact is implemented properly imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back